The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:15 pm 

i am thinking of building sheer in 1/144 as of 1941.when the atlantic bow was added how much did it add to the length. as built the length was 610 ft. thay say. but i cannot find out the rebuilt length.thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:25 pm 

i need some help please.the rebuilt bridge is confusing me my plans do not showing things the same as pics.does anyone have a drawing or pic of the bridge from the front .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:40 pm 

is there anyone out there with a good pic or drawing of the armor belt on sheer or graff spree.? i cannot seem to find one,thanks .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:15 am 

Sorry Russ, but I'm building OOB - I just don't have any outside sources.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:18 pm 

Russ, are you looking for the profile or extents of the armor belt?
One would show best in section, the other probably can only be seen in elevation (side view).
I think I have a drawing on file, will check and await your reply.

Special Navy U-Boot Type XXIII 1:72
Revell DKM Bismarck 1:350
Tauro RN Fiume, Pola, Zara, Gorizia 1:400
Heller DKM Admiral Scheer 1:400
Revell DKM Schnellboot S-100 1:72

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 pm 

hello seeadler,i would be looking for a side view that showed the length and hight of it,thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:57 pm 
It has been quite a while since I attempted to post an image. My attempts are not working. Sorry for the delay Russ.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:45 pm 

i am building a 1/144 model of admiral sheer ,i question about blast bags on the 11 and 5.9 in. guns. all the pics i have show no blast bags even when plowing into heavy seas,yet most models show blast bags.any thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm 

I have many photos showing them - or not. They seem to have them taken on and off and on and off ...

I guess it will be either down to articstic license on your model or your ability to model them ... :big_grin:

Any progress photos of your build I may have missed?

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:19 pm 

thanks for the comeback olaf.if you look in the scratch build section you will find my build of sheer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:08 am 

Stupid me, of course ... was a bit :sleepy: yesterday ...

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:07 am 

Ciao all,

if you tell me which period you want to build your Admiral Scheer, .... than I can tell you wheter or not she had blast bags or rafts on board.

You can refer here for the periods :

http://kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465

http://kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466

Bye Antonio :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 am 

hello antonio,i am building here as of 1943 or 1944,one of the later years that she did not have camoflage paint scheme.thank you very much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 am 

Ciao all,

@russclark,

GOOD !

So if you choose 1943 for example, it will be a full dark grey colour for the ship, and with the blast bags only on the forward 280 mm triple turret plus on the all 150 mm secondary turrets, and they were white coloured. No blast bags on the aft 280 mm turret.

More, some of the 150 mm secondary turrets had a raft on the top of them, you can refer the drawings I made with Abram.

Bye Antonio :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:13 pm 

What about the October 1943 version with the false bow wave?

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:34 pm 

thanks to all for the blast bag question.now i have another question.i kind of like the looks with the red turret tops and the semi raked funnel.the reason i did not consider this year was that the aft director did not have the added range finder,director.but i found a pic of her with the directors and range finder on the aft and the shorter raked funnel.i belive this to be about 1941 or 1942.this year also has the new tower and bow.

Last edited by russclark on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:10 pm 

The additional radar housing and FuMO antenna atop the aft rangefinder (which was there since the beginning) came in 1941. The larger raked funnel cap in 1942. I think Antonio can tell you more about it, I'm just parrotting his illustrations ... :big_grin:

Btw, as I understand it, you also can have the dark grey scheme with red (horizontal) turret tops. Or with yellow. One thing many fail to see is, that those illustrations, no matter who did them, are just snapshots of certain events in the history of the ships. For example, when one illustrations depicts ship X in month Y of the year Z with red turret tops, this does not mean that the red was visible that whole month. Maybe just a couple of days, then overpainted again or covered with canvas.

Happy painting ~ Olaf!

EDIT: You are aware of the policy regarding posting copyrighted material?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:49 pm 

thanks for the reply olaf,i see what you mean ,if i model her the way i want it might be for a very short time frame,i like the red turret tops as it adds a little color.i am not sure on copywrite stuff i am not a commercial venture ,but i deleated the pic anyhow.thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 pm 

I am a new member to The Ship Model Forum, and am Excited to have discovered this, I have been a serious Modeler for years and have built some moderatly neat scratch built stuff, like a 1/32 scale copy of Monograms F19 spectre stealth fighter. I was disapointed for Years that you could buy the Bismarck or Tirpitz in 1/350 and not any other capital ships of the Kreigsmarine in that scale, as I think were allot of peope because (Wam) in the last year or so they have produced and released them. Happy days for the plastic lovers. I also hated that You could get the Iowas in 1/350 plastic for a decent price, but if you wanted the Arizona or Nevada like that You could buy a 600 dollar resin kit that somone made in limited edition like 400 or so.

Glow2b in Germany has just released a Bismarck kit in Styrene, at 1/144 scale which is huge if you live in an appartment ( about 65inches long ) but a good size for a nice mantle queen model.
I was working on plans for a Graf Spee at 1/72 scale and 1/48 scale for Remote Control purposes but i realized that the RC hobby starts running into the thousands of dollars very Quickly, and after seeing the Bismark in the 1/144 scale i have decided to build the Graf spee in that scale, and while im building it design it as a kit with an opion of parts and fittins to convert it to a version of the Deutschland/Lutzow or Admiral Scheer. They were all different slightly but could all be built on the same hull wiht minor variations and for diferent time periods. If it becomes to complicated then I'll just design the diferent hulls and make seperate kits. It is My hope that there is an adequate interest in these ships in this scale for me to produce more than 2 of them however im making Me one regardless and will post some pictures in the near future.

I am open to any comments, Critisism, or interests in this post, and WOW you guys, and Ladies are some serious Modelers and history Buffs. Makes Me feel right at home. Please let me know what You think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:42 pm 

Inherited the hull to the Admiral Scheer, post refit. Very little superstructure and no plans. Anyone with a source for plans in 1/72nd?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next