The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:33 pm 

I agree, it is extremely difficult to make out any type of door structure on the 150 to the right. The only similarity I can even find in the area is the shadows I have circled in red which might be some kind of latch to hold the doors open?

I am deep into a build of the Academy kit and I think I am becoming obsessed with the missing or incorrect details it has. The biggest disappointment is the mast configurations which isn't even remotely close! I will say though that the etch in the premium kit is a pleasure to work with.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:21 pm 

Can someone that's converted the 1/350 Graf Spee to 1937 please share a photo of how the stack platform needs to be modified. From what I'm understanding, I need to cut off the extended platform in front of the two search lights and round the corners.

Second question, since WEM was bought out by Toms, has anyone else purchased the Graf Spee PE set and not had instructions included? I opened my set Friday night and had two nice sheets of PE but no instructions. Sent a email to the contact at tomsmodelworks website but it's the weekend so I imagine I won't receive a reply until sometime during the week.

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:32 pm 

Perhaps this one?

When did she have the searchlights removed from the sides of her tower and have the single one added to the front? I have a great book on her unfortunately it is in Polish.... :Mad_6:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:17 pm 
Classic Warships
Classic Warships

Does anyone have a list of the modifications during the final refit in 1938, and what were the dates of that refit, which it looks like took several visits to the yard.

I am speaking of the removal of the searchlight platforms P & S on the bridge tower and a single searchlight and platform fitted on the bridge face, as well as the modifications to the other bridge platforms, addition of the radar, and what happened to the Radio Direction Finder (RDF) antenna ?

I think the radar addition was done in stages, not all in the same refit ???

When did this happen, dates ?

Seems this took place in early 1938, as GEMA sent a tech with GS on the next Spain voyage during the summer of that year, so was the radar fitted by them ?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Steve Wiper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 pm 

For a future 1/350 build, can anyone suggest preferably Tamiya acrylic colors to represent Graf Spee as she appeared in Montevideo? I have their color chart but from personal experience it is not always accurate as to actual paint colors.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 am 

Hopefully there will be some new conversion pieces coming soon from Model Monkey, to convert TR Graf Spee to Scheer. There are two major modifications to the hull that will need to be done by the modeler. The first is the bow, styrene and putty. The second is to raise the armored belt up and pierce it with the lower level of portholes. This can be done a couple of ways, but you have to end up with a nicely beveled top on the armor belt. Anyone know of a tool that could be used to do this? Thanks Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:24 am 

if you do the bow right using the bread & butter method, you'll probably not need any putty. flat edge of a #11 blade used as a scraper tho that depends on the scale thickness of the belt.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:13 am 

I am new to this forum, reading this thread actually made me join. I have started (i.e., just bought...) a Trumpeter 1/350 Graf Spee, currently gathering information. The topic about the doors (or not) of the 15cm SK C/28 discussed previously catched my attention, as the doors are provided in the excellent Eduard PE set, and wanted to be sure that they were used. Evidently they were in the Graf Spee in Dec 1939, but I found several other pictures of other Deutschland class battleships that had no doors, but a curtain rolled up, or nothing at all. Interesting topic, my 2 cents. Attached pictures showing the three types, one from the Graf Spee (doors), the other from the Admiral Sheer (with curtain, no doors) and the last one from Admiral Scheer (can't distinguish doors nor curtain, but might be wrong) (as this is the first post and first try uploading a picture, forgive me if something goes wrong)

Marco

Attachments:
File comment: 15cm SK C/28
Graf Spee 1939 15cm cannon.JPG
Graf Spee 1939 15cm cannon.JPG [ 79.93 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
File comment: Admiral Scheer 15cm
Admiral Scheer 1939 boat.JPG
Admiral Scheer 1939 boat.JPG [ 249.17 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
File comment: Admiral Scheer 15cm plain
Admiral Scheer 1939 15cm cannon.JPG
Admiral Scheer 1939 15cm cannon.JPG [ 175.36 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:41 am 

Hello,

I'm thinking about starting my Academy Premium 1/350 Graf Spee (along with the Eduard PE set) these days. I'd like to depict the vessel just prior to the outbreak of WW2, before it departed Germany. Are there any major flaws with the kit or do I have to change any thinks for the timeframe I plan? Is the number and placement of the Flak guns correct? For example I'm unsure about the 2cm guns on the forecastle...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:01 pm 

There were more positions of 2 cm guns than guns on board. These guns could be moved around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:43 am 

I have a question about this picture, it is described as a picture taken during the Battle of the River Plate Dec 13, 1939. But, the Hellgrau spot on top of Anton turret is missing... Checking other pictures, it is evident that the Light Gray spot was already there before December 13. Somebody knows when the picture was taken?

Marco

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:46 pm 

According to German Naval Camouflage Vol I 1939-1941, this would have been autumn to about November 26 1939. The lighter grey splotch would have been added late November to scuttling.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am 

Thank you, Dan. Upon anchoring in Uruguay, the spots were already there, I guess that they were painted sometime before Dec 13 (can't find a reason to paint them after the battle).

Marco

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am 

Upon assembling the rear superstructure of the Graf Spee (Trumpeter 1/350), I noticed a discrepancy between the kit and the Kagero drawings around the aircraft catapult cylindrical base: The kit doesn't include an upper wooden deck around the base, Kagero does.

I have checked all the references at hand, and can't find a clear picture of the area. I am inclined to believe Kagero drawings, though. Anybody can share a picture to confirm Kagero's version is correct?

Marco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:46 am 

Is there any set of transport boats in 1/350 scale, that includes the types used on the Graf Spee in December 1939? These two types are missing from the Trumpeter kit (instead, you get 10 row cutters...). They were located on each side of the airplane catapult, quite evident:

Marco

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 pm 

I'd buy some of these too. Model Monkey? (Wink wink, nudge nudge) :cool_1:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 am 

This polish designer Sasa Drobak offers the first type (11m Admiral's Gig) in 1/32 scale. He could certainly rescale his product upon request. Link: https://www.shapeways.com/product/4VL4E ... iral-s-gig

The latter type is unknown to me, and I think there is none available right now. You could ask diStefan whether he could create a custom design. I am not associated with his business, so I don't have any insights about his custom design pricing.

I could also try designing the latter type, but the drawings above would be insufficient to make the most accurate model. Is there any cross-sectional drawing of the boat's hull available? Detailed photos and other references would be helpful as well.

Regards,
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:39 am 

If some of the Shapeways designers like Model Monkey, Micro Master or the 3rd I know that designed many of the US ships boats and had put links here during last year (can't remember the name, but I do remember he also made trains in 1/350 and 1/700) can see a possible good market, you might note them. I remember the latter one said his designer needs more ideas what to design, so you might PM him, if you can locate his posts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:03 am 

Will check, thank you. I started scratchbuilding one already, if I achieve good results, I will post... !

Marco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:06 pm 

mopy wrote:
If some of the Shapeways designers like Model Monkey, Micro Master or the 3rd I know that designed many of the US ships boats and had put links here during last year (can't remember the name, but I do remember he also made trains in 1/350 and 1/700) can see a possible good market, you might note them. I remember the latter one said his designer needs more ideas what to design, so you might PM him, if you can locate his posts.

These boats? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=166158

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next