The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:11 am 

I have been told a set of Norman Ough's drawings of the Dido are a must for this build!

Has anyone seen any? are they very good? they seem very rare too does anyone know a source to buy, borrow or copy? (keeping well within copyright law of course :frown_2: )

Are there any other good plans out there?

HMS Euryalus specifically

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:32 am 

I have now got.

Ensign 2 - Dido Class
Profile Morskie 67 - HMS Naiad (on Order)
Profile Morskie 67 - HMS Naiad pdf plan. (I ordered the plan online and it arrived in just about an Hour)
3 photos ordered from the I.W.M. HMS Euryalus 1941.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm 

These have always been one of my favorite foreign vessels. Like the Atlanta's older cousin.

Planned builds:
3 more 1/700 AH submarines

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:40 am 

Hi,

These models of HMS Dido are absolutely great and a real inspiration. I've been looking at the photos of Dido from Glasgow Museum a lot to help me with my project. It's a semi-scale radio control model to a scale of 1/144 from the Glynn Guest plan, but adding detail as appropriate. The hull is nearly complete and so are parts of the superstructure. I am new to the forum, so when I get the hang of up-loading photos I'll post one on the site.

Dylan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:52 am 

Im just about to start building HMS Euryalus and even with all the info I have I am missing a vital piece.

I have the side elevation for the propshafts, so from that I have the vertical position the shallow angle and how far the reach back under the hull. However I dont have a plan to tell me how far each of the 4 propshafts are outboard of the keel.

Help?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:04 am 

I have recently seen images of a 1:72 scale Dido class hull plug, which has been finished with lithoplate for the appropriate plating finish on the hull.

The hull should be available for commercial sale within the next 4-6 months.

APS Models in Australia already do the 5.25 turrets and a wide range of other 1:72 scale fittings, so it should be quite a boon to anyone wanting a Dido in a larger scale.

I will post images once I have a hull in my possession.

Mike

Task Force 72, home of some of the world's finest 1:72 scale model ships http://www.taskforce72.org

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 am 

The HMS Dido hull produced in Australia.

Attachments:
dido2.JPG
dido2.JPG [ 148.92 KiB | Viewed 6970 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:56 am 

Another view of the hull. The hull has been produce by Tim. I've previously asked Tim if he would mind if I posted a photo of his work. I can tell you he is a very busy person and very helpful. I'm looking forward to receiving my hull and fittings.

Attachments:
dido1.JPG
dido1.JPG [ 141.63 KiB | Viewed 6971 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:32 am 

Beautiful workmanship and a beautiful hull shape.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:03 pm 

G'day,

I'm after information regarding HMNZS Royalist, I understand that a modeller from NZ has built a R/C model this ship. If anyone can help me contact the modeller I'd be appreciative.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:31 am 

You could try contacting Dick Hopper in Auckland he has lots of information on Royalist.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:55 am 

G'day,

I've just received, today, my Dido hull and some fitting from Tim Amos. I'll post photos in the morning. However, I can say that I'm mightily impressed with the quality of hull. For those of you who live in Australia and need any hulls you should contact Tim.
Cheers,
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 am 

I have also received my Dido hull, courtesy of Tim at Southern Cross Models

Lovely hull, sensational workmanship.

Now the challenge is to build a model worthy of the hull.

APS Models do a range of fittings, the rest will have to be scratched.

First order of business is to fit a set of Sitek running gear and the motors.

Cheers

Mike

Task Force 72, home of some of the world's finest 1:72 scale model ships http://www.taskforce72.org

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:33 pm 

a WEM Dido is in the mail, and I am planning to paint her as in this foto:
http://www.navyphotos.co.uk/didobat6b.jpg
my questions: at what time was she painted in this sheme?
what were the colors?
were there any changes as compared to the equipment rendered in the WEM kit?
TIA, Richard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 pm 

According to Raven Camou Vol. 3, colours are not known. You could try a G10/G45 combination that was added to other ships carrying a two-tone scheme?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:42 am 

is provided by Raven's Ensign booklet on the Dido class: it has 3 fotos showing Dido undergoing repair at Malta, March 3 to 29., 1944. The first is a detail shot the damage, showing part of a wavy camouflage scheme; the other 2 are of a repaired Dido, in dark hull/light upperworks scheme as per link in my previous posting (but with dark foreward funnel). A foto on the next page shows her in February 1945, in the same scheme.
Looks like Dido wore this camouflage - with slight changes - from March 1944 to February 1945.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:51 am 

Hi Everyone:

I posted some 3 years ago when I started building a 1/350 scale HMS Argonaut [my late father's ship]. This is now long finished and I have now added a 1/400 scale HMS Formidable carrier. Both are in a sea diorama during "action stations." I know that the Argonaut was off the Japanese coast during the last days of the war, as was Formidable as part of TF57. My question is, was the Argonaut anywhere near the Formidable - possibly acting as a picket ship to protect against kamikazis and to scan for any "bogies" shadowing the returning BPF planes? It would be neat to have a story that connected the two models that I now have on display. My father did mention a harrowing typhoon that did happen in the first week of August 1945 and also mentioned Hammy Gray - the Corsair pilot from the Formidable that was killed in action on the 9th of August [he was awarded a VC]. I have Hobbs' book of the British Pacific Fleet - while it has a lot of detail it does not cover the question of the possible relationship between the Argonaut and Formidable in the closing days of the war.

Thanks for any insights.

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:46 am 

I’m going to have a go at scratch building HMS Sirius in 1/400 (first scratch build), using some of the JSC card templates.
What I’m looking for if anyone can help is 1/500 HMS Exeter Hull half’s only, if anyone has used the kit for spares, or if someone could scan/photo copy the hull construction pages of the GPM 1/200 HMS Naiad that I could reduce by 50%. A scan/photocopy of Iron Ship Wright HMS Sirius construction plan.
From the WEM KGV set if anyone has some spare Yargi Antennas, the 281 radar parts and FH3 HF/DF Antenna.
From what I’ve read HMS Sirius had 7 Oerlikons at one time, I can only find 5, to the rear of the bridge, behind the rear funnel and on the stern, where were the other 2?
I’m not the most skilled builder so any advice and help welcome, if you can help please let me know for any costs. I also have a 1/700 GMM HMS Tiger mast and crane (one piece been detached) if anyone wants them. Any help greatly appreciated thank you Al.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:27 am 

The Flyhawk 1/700th kit is now out - and is wonderful. A wonderfully detailed set of mouldings and a photo-etch.

See ;

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/pd5b2s ... je10q.html

or

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=158876

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:56 am 

I've got my Flyhawk HMS Naiad kit now and what a great kit it looks!

But as per usual there is a problem with the camouflage scheme. The kit instructions say Light Grey, Brown and Green but Raven says Black, APC507B and APC507C. Initially I'm more inclined to go with Raven's colour suggestions but before I do, does anyone know any better?

thanks
Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next