The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:39 am 

There is a photo of NAIAD wearing the Dark Grey hull (and superstructure below foc's'le deck level and "Y" turret) and Light Grey upperworks scheme, captioned as 1941, available from the Imperial War Museum (https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205140571). The configuration appears to be the same as the Flyhawk kit. According to Alan Raven & John Roberts British Cruisers of World War Two (Arms & Armour Press, 1980), she had five single 20mm fitted in September 1941; this may have been after this photo was taken (it shows the positions abreast the bridge still carrying quad 0.5" machine guns).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 pm 

tjstoneman wrote:
There is a photo of NAIAD wearing the Dark Grey hull (and superstructure below foc's'le deck level and "Y" turret) and Light Grey upperworks scheme, captioned as 1941, available from the Imperial War Museum (https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205140571). The configuration appears to be the same as the Flyhawk kit. According to Alan Raven & John Roberts British Cruisers of World War Two (Arms & Armour Press, 1980), she had five single 20mm fitted in September 1941; this may have been after this photo was taken (it shows the positions abreast the bridge still carrying quad 0.5" machine guns).

Thanks Tim

It looks like it's had radars added to the mastheads but I can't see anything else different at first look. I'll have a think on that one.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:50 pm 

The masthead antennae are for RDF Type AW.279, which, according to F.A. Kingsley (Ed) Radar and Other Electronic Systems in the Royal Navy in World War 2 (Basingstoke: MacMillans Press Ltd, 1995) was fitted in NAIAD in September 1940. Representations are included in the photo-etch fret in the Flyhawk kit. No other RDF fits are recorded, or evident in photographs, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 pm 

tjstoneman wrote:
The masthead antennae are for RDF Type AW.279, which, according to F.A. Kingsley (Ed) Radar and Other Electronic Systems in the Royal Navy in World War 2 (Basingstoke: MacMillans Press Ltd, 1995) was fitted in NAIAD in September 1940. Representations are included in the photo-etch fret in the Flyhawk kit. No other RDF fits are recorded, or evident in photographs, as far as I know.

Thanks again Tim

I think I'll do her in the dark hull/light upperworks scheme then. I've got other cruisers to do in disruptive camouflage so it'll be something different in that scheme.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:52 am 

Afternoon!

Planning on converting the Flyhawk Naiad (1940) to HMS Argonaut as she appeared during the D-Day landings, any pointers on sources for plans and details on upgrades/equipment changes.

Any major points I should be aware of regarding differences?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:19 am 

The Q 5.25" turret was replaced by a third quadruple Pom Pom, five 20 mm twins and six 20 mm single, an additional director for the third PomPom in front of the bridge plus radars at the mast and directors.

She was apparently painted in 507B hull, 507C superstructure and white masts. If the names (and shades) of the colours are correct, no idea - there is a lot of discussion about RN colours.

There is a model of Argonaut in that fit in the collection of the NMM:
https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/67527.html

See also:
https://www.militaryimages.net/media/hms-argonaut-cruiser.15992/

Here are also two 1944 photos (in Malta, at the lower third of that page):
https://www.world-war.co.uk/Dido/argonaut.php3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:26 pm 

Does anybody know where I might find plans for a Dido class ship? My only preference on which ship would be any of the 5 turret ships, though Hermione would be ideal. I also don't care what scale the plans are in as I'll be converting them down to a smaller scale.

Love building and CAD modeling WWII Capital Ships

1/1200 Battle of Hampton Roads diorama in progress
1/1200 1945 USS Pennsylvania CAD model in progress

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:37 pm 

email sent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 am 

DavidP wrote:
email sent.

Shot you a reply, thank you!

Love building and CAD modeling WWII Capital Ships

1/1200 Battle of Hampton Roads diorama in progress
1/1200 1945 USS Pennsylvania CAD model in progress

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8