The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:33 am 

We have pretty much covered the DC arrangements of all 3 operators of the class.
The one omission on the topic has been HMAS Bataan.
Commissioned before wars end, but too late for any action, she was fitted with MK IV`s as built.

She appears to be unique in stowage fit, as 2 extra racks were fitted, port and starboard, presumably 2 canisters per rack.
These were present for only a short time, the blue circle identifies them, the red arrows show the rack and loaded MK IV thrower.

Maybe of interest, and not mentioned previous, the 6 canister Mk IV rack was positioned close to the thrower, the upper/outer canister was pushed straight into the thrower cradle, the racking mechanism them moved the next canister into the outer load tray for next reload, a bit like a carousel.
Cheers.

Attachments:
Bataan spare DC racks.jpg
Bataan spare DC racks.jpg [ 81.38 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]
Bataan, June 45.jpg
Bataan, June 45.jpg [ 54.09 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:18 pm 
Resin Shipyard
Resin Shipyard

Here's a pic of HMCS MICMAC's Props in 1961. So far the only Tribal Prop image I can find.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:45 pm 

Thanks Darren, a rare find.
I also managed to find this shot of Arunta, props are hard to make out, but I can just distinguish the blade pitch.
They appear to match the pitch in your photo also, but I feel there may be an anomaly here.

Both shots do NOT appear to match the blade pitch of the Haida display as presented, what do you think?

Attachments:
Haida props.jpg
Haida props.jpg [ 176.26 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
Arunta, Garden Is..jpg
Arunta, Garden Is..jpg [ 159.8 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 am 
Resin Shipyard
Resin Shipyard

I think the Haida display is random. It was moved when the ship was moved from Toronto to Hamilton a few years back and I do not think they were side by side in Toronto, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:59 pm 

I had pondered awhile on the propeller orientation, and had contacted the museum about the display, unfortunately no response.
There is no question that the orientation of the 2 photos is correct, if the Haida display is actually as it appears on various sites, I am surprised they have made a fundamental error.

They have the props arse about, and the prop on the right is actually the port, the left is starboard.
So far, the Arunta shot is the only complete stern photo to show a tribal in drydock with props intact, here is an enhanced crop of the props, showing correct orientation and blade pitch.

Perhaps a small issue, but if someone is building a full hull model of a tribal, wouldn`t you want to get it right?
All the best

Attachments:
tribal props.jpg
tribal props.jpg [ 102.72 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:36 pm 
Resin Shipyard
Resin Shipyard

Brett Morrow wrote:
I had pondered awhile on the propeller orientation, and had contacted the museum about the display, unfortunately no response.
There is no question that the orientation of the 2 photos is correct, if the Haida display is actually as it appears on various sites, I am surprised they have made a fundamental error.
They have the props arse about, and the prop on the right is actually the port, the left is starboard.

I finally found a photo of the Props before they were moved from Toronto to Hamilton. They were indeed switched around when moved. The Shorter one is closest.

Regarding making an Error, keep in mind that the only reason the ship was saved, is that a few sailors took it upon themselves to purchase and move the ship to Toronto. It was cleaned up and kept going by volunteers for many years. It had weapons and gear from WWII mixed with 50s and 60s mods. Even the number painted on the side was her WWII Pendant on top of the Postwar Grey. The guys looking after her weren't too interested in whether the props on display were oriented correctly. Heck, they weren't even the same height!

When the ship was fixed up and taken to Hamilton, efforts were made to keep it accurate to the 50's, but still some mistakes were made. I doubt anybody knew which way the props were supposed to go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:17 am 

Guys:
I've been struggling with RN colors to paint Haida in 1944 - Im sure this is common !

Munro plans states 3 colors:
'Off-white' - obviously RN off-white
'Mid grey-green' - which must be G20 ? Wouldnt be the 'warm grey' G45.
'Pale blue', - which must be B30 ? Or is it B55 ?

I know that these ships were painted 'Special Emergency Fleet Destroyer Scheme' which is typically G20, G45, B30 & white. Most models of Haida are painted in a 3 color scheme looking like G20 & B30 & white.
Question is, why was Haida painted in just 3 of these colors, not the standard 4? And what were the colors? Maybe her scheme was a one-off?
Any comments are welcome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm 

Going back, the Haida props orientation question may go someway to be answered, by the reply received from the museum.

The props are 10 ft 6" in diameter and have a pitch of 13 ft 1". The prop as it is on the jetty is seen from the hull side not the cone. Going forward, the tops would turn towards each other. Not entirely sure which position is on the dock for port or starboard.
Team Haida

Also, going back further to the DCT discussion, further investigation reveals my incorrect identification of DC stowage racks on Bataan.
These were in fact, squared balsa carley floats, to put the record straight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12