The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:55 am 

Can any of you shed light on the better 1/700 scale kit? Aoshima or Pit Road?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:31 pm 

Info to interest in Hyuga:

A U.S. Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey aircraft made an unprecedented landing 14 June 2013 on a Japanese naval vessel off the California coast.

The tilt-rotor aircraft flew from San Diego's Marine Corps Miramar Air Station to the Japanese ship Hyuga as part of an 18-day drill aimed at improving Japan's amphibious capability. The hybrid aircraft can take off and land like a helicopter. Marines demonstrated its versatility and speed Friday in an exercise that required coordination between the Navy, Marine Corps and Japan's military members.

Exercices took with Shimokita too:

Attachment:
Shi.jpg
Shi.jpg [ 17.48 KiB | Viewed 4354 times ]

"The very first landing of an MV-22 Osprey on a Japanese ship is a historic moment," said Marine Brig. Gen. John Broadmeadow, adding that the exercise provided the U.S. military "an opportunity to enhance our longstanding relationship with the Japanese and to highlight the capabilities of the MV-22 Osprey, which allows the Marine Corps to quickly respond to a crisis when launched from sea or land."

Source: DOD/Military.com

So the new means certainly Japan will acquire the aircrfat to operate on the Hyuga ships ( helicopter destroyers ) and Shimokita ( landing ships, Osumi class ) .

Watch the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AziGRKFNtNg

And don't forget:

-there is an 1/350 Osprey in the market:

Attachment:
1-350-mv-22b-osprey.jpg
1-350-mv-22b-osprey.jpg [ 48.78 KiB | Viewed 4354 times ]

Have it in your collection to complete the airgroup of your Hyuga model.

Some pics of Hyuga:

http://www.seaforces.org/marint/Japan-M ... -class.htm

http://mokehana.web.fc2.com/e-photo-hyuga.htm

Attachment:
hyuga35l.jpg
hyuga35l.jpg [ 125.99 KiB | Viewed 4352 times ]

Attachment:
hyuga38l.jpg
hyuga38l.jpg [ 52.28 KiB | Viewed 4352 times ]

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:45 pm 

drdoom1337 wrote:
Can any of you shed light on the better 1/700 scale kit? Aoshima or Pit Road?

I always like Pit Road kits better, even more so when it's a japanese subject. Seeing i have built both there are goodies in both. But the main thing is the Pit Road kit comes with fullhull option and Aoshima's does not. Also the Pit Road aircraft are alot better than Aoshima's. But they both build up really nice. The Aoshima support Vehichles are very nice and it comes with pleanty of them. Most people buy the Pit Road kit just for the full hull option which is usually about $10 more than the Aoshima one.
Hope this helps.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:55 pm 

I put this message in another thread about Hyuga, quoting a member:

Keith T. Bender wrote:
Question was up a little while ago about the kits three bladed props. That is incorrect. The ship has two five bladed CCP props. I have not found a photo yet but this somewhere,

Keith

There you are the sprue showing the three bladed props for the 1/350 kit............but found none too with actual propellers you point as beeing five.

Attachment:
Hyu11.jpg
Hyu11.jpg [ 52.73 KiB | Viewed 4348 times ]

Some guess of the actual propeller should be as this drawings ( here props are inverted, should port be left hand and starboard right handed ........ )

Attachment:
ZZZ1.jpg
ZZZ1.jpg [ 19.98 KiB | Viewed 4348 times ]

Best:
Jimmy

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:39 am 

My 1/350 Fujimi Ise along with the Hyuga class extra etch set & a pack of the Bronco Mv-22B Ospreys has arrived.
The props that had been pointed out on an earlier post had me looking thru my unbuilt / spare ship boxes and I think that I might be able to use a pair from an Arleigh Burke that are 5 bladed and look far better than the incorrect kit ones.
It looks at this very early stage to be identical to the earlier release of Hyuga with a revised decal set and the single Osprey. Smart looking kit, hope to get a start in a month or so.

Rgds

Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:09 am 

Just a message for Sirpaul, as I guess my reply dident get to you.

"Thanks for your reply and the offer of the props, much appreciated. I have taken a couple of pics of the Trumpeter USS Lassen props that I might use on this kit. I am not sure how to attach pics in the forum but would be happy to e-mail to you as jpg so you can let me know what you think? Am also happy for you to add the pics to the forum if you have time or want to on my behalf."

"Will let you know how I go once I get a start. Its a very nice looking kit."

Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:27 am 

Hi All

I haven't done a great deal lately due to house improvements, that still continue.

I have finished the air-wing for my DDH Ise: All in JMSDF markings: MH53E, V-22B Ospreys, SH-60J, SH-60K.

The hull halves are attached and slightly sanded as required, prop shafts, rudders and stern plate with rear CIWS base also done.

The props have been an easy choice, the ones that come with the kit (3 blade) are in the spares box. I tried a pair from the Dragon Burke Class but don't look the goods.
Finished with a pair of nice 5 blade props from the Trumpeter DDG Momsen. That's it for now.
If anyone wants to post my pics (I still don't know how) e-mail me, I will send them back as jpg and you can add below to assist others.

Have a good new year
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 am 

Hi Peter;
Flick the photos you would like uploaded through to me with any relevent quotes and I will upload them for you. I too would love to see what you have done.

Would love to build something like the new JMSDF Murasame class destroyer in 1/72 but doubt I will find any plans anywhere of any scale.

Offer stands for any members having problems posting pics.

Email; tonyandselina@gmail.com

Regards
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 am 

OK, some pics and progress from Peter;
1; I have added a few extras to the Air wing, sort of a “what if”.

2; The main area that has been mentioned on the forum are the 3 blade kit props, that are apparently not correct.

3; This pic shows the kits 3 blade at top, then (I think) the Dragon Burke class 5 blade in the middle and the Trumpeter Burke class 5 Blade at bottom.

4; Picture from the stern shows the Trumpeter 5 blade on the port shaft and the original 3 blade on the starboard shaft.

More as comes to hand.

Cheers
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:24 pm 

If you have any trumpeter JMSDF Kit KONGO, the DD101 and DD110 I believe they have same 5 blade prop used on this class...
hey where did you get your the PE for your Project... been looking for it.. everyone is sold out... wow..
As far as your project looking good...
:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:04 am 

Hi Guys

Just to let you know my finished 1/350 DDH-182 Ise is finished and under "What's New"
The MV-22 are a trial, apparently the decks of Hyuga & Ise need to be re-worked to take the heat generated from this type of aircraft. A very enjoyable build that had very few errors or corrections, including removing the 3 blade props & adding a pair from an Arleigh Burke.

Thanks also to Tong G who kindly added my build pictures.
Rgds
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:55 am 

Nice work Peter, looks really good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 am 

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
It really is a nice kit to work with, even if I went a bit far with the air wing. Also very glad I got the correct etch set for her, made life much easier. I also wanted to add the Super Stallion as I believe JMSDF have or will retire them, such a nice looking helicopter.

Thanks again
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:48 pm 

JMSDF Ise is in Pearl Harbor right now, preparing for RIMPAC exercises. RIMPAC maintains a Facebook page for up-to-date photos. Pearl is loaded up with a wide variety of vessels these days!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:14 pm 

Can anyone please assits me in sourcing a good set of hull and line drawings of the new japanese 'helicopter destroyer, the JMSDF Hyuga?

I am looking at building a working 1/72 model of her and there seems to be a shortfall of good quality plans of the modern JMSDF warships.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:16 pm 

1:700 Options

Hyuga - DDH-181

There have been six options of the DDH-1 Hyuga released in 1:700 scale, with some distinct differences between manufacturers and releases. There have been two releases of the Ise, second ship of the class. For hanger interiors, you'll need the Aoshima kit. For a full hull option, you'll need the Pit Road kit.

In order of release:

Pit Road DDH-181 First Limited Edition (J37L), May 2010, OOP
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10111383

Full hull option, elevator interiors (but no hanger details otherwise), deck vehicles, 5-bladed screws.
Aircraft: SH60K, MH-53E, MCH-101 helicopters

Pit Road DDH-181 Standard Edition (J37), May 2010, OOP
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10111382

Full hull option, elevator interiors (but no hanger details otherwise), deck vehicles, 5-bladed screws. Alternate box art from above.
Aircraft: SH60K, MH-53E, MCH-101 helicopters

Aoshima DDH-181 Standard Edition (41611), October 2010:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10127398

WL hull only. Includes optional “see-through” flight deck to display hanger interior. Full hanger interior, elevators can be poised up or down. Deck vehicles.
Aircraft: SH60K, MH-53E, MCH-101 helicopters.

Aoshima DDH-181 SP Edition (48917), July 2010:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10114635

WL hull only. Includes small fret of PE, including folded copter-blades and antennae. Does NOT include optional “see-through” flight deck. Full hanger interior, elevators can be poised up or down. Deck vehicles.
Aircraft: SH60K, MH-53E, MCH-101 helicopters.

Aoshima DDH-181 “Operation Senkaku” Edition (7266), May 2013, OOP (?)
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10215618

Box art notable for depicting sinking PLAN carrier and kit includes diverse air wing. OOP. WL hull only, Full hanger interior, elevators can be poised up or down. Deck vehicles.

Special edition aircraft: AH-1, OH-1, AH-64 helicopters, MV-22 Osprey. Also AAV armored carriers. Plus standard complement of SH60K, MH-53E, and MCH-101 helicopters.

Pit Road DDH-181 Standard Edition (J69), April 2014
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10265282

Full hull option, elevator interiors (but no hanger details otherwise), deck vehicles, 5-bladed screws.
Aircraft: SH60K, MH-53E, MCH-101 helicopters, and a Shinmaywa US-2 seaplane.

Ise - DDH-182

Aoshima DDH-182 “On Duty” Special Edition (41628), February 2011

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10135142

WL hull only. Includes optional “see-through” flight deck to display hanger interior. Full hanger interior, elevators can be poised up or down. Deck vehicles.
Aircraft: SH60K, MH-53E, MCH-101 helicopters. This edition adds Harrier II and F-22 VTOL fighter aircraft.

Pit Road DDH-182 Standard Edition (J49), July 2012
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10184198

Aircraft: SH60K, MH-53E, MCH-101 helicopters, and a Shinmaywa US-2 seaplane.
Decals for DDH-182, but otherwise same kit as DDH-181.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:37 pm 

Hello everyone,
Based on the drawings shown here, it looks like it is not only the props shape, the shafts are also way to far apart...
Does anyone have a photo of the actual ship in that area?
Thanks
Val

- Heller (kitbash) BB-CV HMS Lion Hybrid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:25 pm 

Has this class gone thru any mods yet? Or they just keep this as is since they have DDH183 Class now? Just wonder if they got new domes like the US Navy does when they upgrade Communications or sensor? Have the Fujimi kit in 1/350 just waiting to be built.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:40 pm 

Alright...here I go....getting ready to build....

YES :woo_hoo: this is PitRoad/Skywave 1/700 Hyuga DDH-181 (J37), kit.

So, watch for it in "WIP" section.

M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:36 am 

Good luck. Please be sure to post your build photos under the Work-In-Process threads.