The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:58 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Neptune wrote:
Looks brilliant Carl! I met Pinckney last voyage while she came in Panama for bunkering. She came very close during her manoeuvring to her anchor spot. I got some nice pics and they sure are the nicest looking ships in the USN. And probably the most cost-effective ones too compared to the newer project!

Thank you, Neptune!

I agree. They are impressive looking ships. It must have been a thrill to see one in person.

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:48 am 

What's the difference between the Flight I and the Flight II? They are suppose to be nearly the same length and the IIa is the longest of the three. Visually, are there any major differences between them?

Hangar, forward CIWS located in front of the superstructure, etc?

No one seems to make a kit of a flight II ship and I have not noticed anyone post pics of a flight II they modified from a flight I kit.

Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:08 am 
Mr. Grumpy,
The only external difference that can be easily spotted is the top of the mast. Other than that you can build a Flt II ship from a DDG 51 kit. The thin pole above the "crows nest" that is angled back is straight on the flight I's. On the Flt II's and the Flt IIa's it is angled back then it has a bend where it goes up vertically. Compare photos of DDG 51 with any of the Flt IIa's. The mast in ALL the kits are the Flt I type mast, even the Flt IIa kits. The Flt I ships are DDG 51 through DDG 71. The Flt II's are DDG 72 through DDG 78. The Flt IIa's are DDG 79 and up. The Photos of my DDG in the gallery has the mast top for the Flt II & Flt IIa's. The Classic Warships book on the Burkes' has some great shots of the mast. Hope this helps.
Bill Liebold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:12 pm 

Clarrification

I'm building the USS Decatur (as part of teh stennis battlegroup) Can't seem to get a good picture of teh subroc chaff launchers. From the Dragon arleigh burke the provide 2 per side. Looking at teh deck markings there could be three. (Also the parts supplied only have three tubes, i have a set of Veteran parts with teh 6 tubes.

How many sets per side is teh question i would like answered.

Dsve

Stennis CBG 2002:

Operational:
CG73 USS Port Royal
DDG73 USS Decatur
CG57 USS Lake Champlain
FFG33 USS Jarrett

LHD5 USS Bataan

HMAS Vendetta II D08
IJN Yamato
HMAS Vendetta I I69

Planned
DD967 USS Elliott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 pm 

Last edited by carr on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:52 pm 

Figured it would be a shame if I didn't share these. Pinckney at Panama anchorage. Note the extra machine guns with shields forward and aft for security. There is also a slight flare on the helicopter hangar towards the aft. Never noticed that before. I got more pics, but since my connection is a bit limited nowadays I can't post them here. If there is any interest I can share of course.

Attachments:
Pinkey1.JPG
Pinkey1.JPG [ 64.73 KiB | Viewed 4679 times ]
Pinkey2.JPG
Pinkey2.JPG [ 103.7 KiB | Viewed 4694 times ]
Pinkey3.JPG
Pinkey3.JPG [ 103.56 KiB | Viewed 4699 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:28 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:22 pm 

Hi Bob,

I really can't say much about the 1/350 kit but since DML's 1/700 USS Mustin kit has the same problem (the Pickney kit as well IIRC) it's not very unlikely that Trumpeter might have gotten it wrong with their bigger kit. In the 1/700 kit, the hangar is at least 1cm too short, which in that scale is of course a lot. Also the hull is about 1mm too short and the aft VLS cells, as well as the hut on top of the hangar are too small.

Apart from the hangar length, I cannot say if the 1/350 kit has all the other problems. Perhaps other people building the kit will be able to help. But those problems can be easily fixed if you know that they are there. This is what I did to my Arleigh Burke:

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:26 pm 

Hi Bob, you say you don't have the kit-I don't either, maybe someone who does can confirm this disturbing issue. If true, and as you say it is very iffy as photos can-and do-lie. Luckily, it does seem to be a simple matter of the superstructure being too far forward, in which case it is not *impossible* to fix, but it wouldn't be easy either. A new foredeck and a lot of putty and sheet styrene could fix the sheer issue, that would be the most difficult part. Frankly, I had hoped for better too and assumed that, being new tooled, Trumpy would have got it right. Hopefully more information will come to light. :wave_1:

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:59 pm 

Does anyone know of any decent shots of the hangar interior for mild paint detailing? Uncle Google hasn't been as helpful as he might have been....

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:53 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:03 am 

There's one on Page 46 of the Classic Warships Burke Class book but it's mostly shadow.

I had found these before:
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=62647
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=64830

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:24 am 

If you guys are looking for the color of the paint inside the hanger it will be white. The deck inside the hanger will be the same as the deck outside. Before I retired I had orders to a Flt II Burke and walked around to see the differences between a Flt I Burke to the Flt II class. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 am 

Yes, I was just hoping to see if there were any ducts or piping that were different colors. I'd like to open one of them with the Helo on the inside and am just looking to spruce it up a bit more than pure white with a wash.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:36 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Yes, I was just hoping to see if there were any ducts or piping that were different colors. I'd like to open one of them with the Helo on the inside and am just looking to spruce it up a bit more than pure white with a wash.

Tracy, Yes some of the pipes are going to be different colors, like the piper for the JP5 fuel. Red for Firefightering (Halon/ AFFF) things of that nature. Can't give the exact location of them sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:57 am 

Tracy, here is a pics I found for you.
Attachment:
helo deck.jpg
helo deck.jpg [ 106.14 KiB | Viewed 4333 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:03 am 

Second one.
Attachment:
helo1.jpg
helo1.jpg [ 107.83 KiB | Viewed 4328 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:12 am 

Tracy, you may have to save this one then blow it up in size, but I think it gives a good look insided.
Attachment:
DSC_0273_sm.jpg
DSC_0273_sm.jpg [ 57.24 KiB | Viewed 5108 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 am 

Robin wrote:
Tracy, here is a pics I found for you.
Attachment:
helo deck.jpg

Cool, thanks. Looks like that first one's the starboard hangar by the angle of the track.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:40 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Cool, thanks. Looks like that first one's the starboard hangar by the angle of the track.

Yep I believe it is the starboard side hanger outboard bulkhead. I wish it had a bullseye for me to read then I would know exactly the location. Oh well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next