The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:31 pm 

Greetings all,

After following sgtryan13's build on a different thread of the USS Fitzgerald I felt stoked up enough to try a Trumpeter USS Cole kit. Since I have a bad case of AMS (Advanced Modeler Syndrome) I decided to try and stay OOB as much as possible. But I do have a question; Trumeter molded a vertical ladder to the bulkhead between the flag bags and in pictures I've noticed that it appears there is actually an inclined ladder to a platform and then another inclined ladder; this is a detail item I just can't by-pass. Does anyone have a picture that would give a better view of this area and that I could use to make mods as necessary?

Thanks
Bruce

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:48 am 

I plan to make the same modification to mine. Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have to go on. It also shows a platform going around the back of the base of the mast which is also missing from the kit and that I want to add as well.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:22 am 

Dan,
If you have access to Steve Wiper's excellent photo reference on the Burkes on page 22 there is a good overhead shot that clearly shows the shape of that platform you're talking about. Its only on the port side of the mast and allows access to that hatch your picture shows on the port quarter of the mast.

I got another picture from a good friend that clearly shows that the ladder from the bridge goes down to a free standing platform and then down to the 03 deck.

Good Modeling,
Bruce

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:24 pm 

My budget is maxed out for this project, but thanks for the information bwross11. It'll be useful.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:43 am 

Hi Dan & Bruce

I just came across your messages, I also have the Steve Wiper Book (number 24) for the Burke class, I am making one with some LED's.
I fitted what I think is the part your talking about last night from the Yankee Modelworks Burke Flight IIa set. (3004)
It still needed parts M29 and M28 to be fitted and add the etch ladder system on top, the kit being the 1/350 Trumpeter USS Lassen DDG-82.
(The ladder that goes up to the rear of the Bridge between what I guess are the flag bags)

I could take a photo if you want and e-mail it to you if it helps (I don't know how to post on the board thou)

Rgds
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:19 am 

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the information and the offer. I can't speak for Bruce, but I don't think a picture will be necessary for me. I will combine the photo I posted, along with Bruce's description of "free standing" and now downloaded pictures of the PE fret and Trumpeter sprue "M" (Sprue M isn't included in the Hopper kit) that you just mentioned. This should be enough to go on.

Posting pictures on the board isn't too hard. The method I use is to resize the image to 800 x ?. (A requirement for Tinypic I think). Then go to tinypic.com. Upload it there. After it's uploaded, they will give a series of link formats to choose from. I just copy and paste the one with [img] at the beginning and end if it into my message here. And it's done.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:08 pm 

Hi Peter,
I appreciate the offer Mate; but I think I have it covered. Between Steve's book and having just purchasing the Lassen kit myself I believe that I have what I need.

So, you're fitting LED's?! Where are you going to be putting them if you don't mind me asking? And, I'm guessing that you're going to run wires off the model to some sort of power pack?

Good luck with the build.

Bruce

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 am 

Hi Bruce

Yes after seeing lots of the larger kits with LED's with below decks & Bridges lit up on Wasp Class / Enterprise and Nimitz Class Carriers I thought I would have a go at something small as a "test" so I am working on the Trumpeter 1/350 USS Lassen.
Anyway the Bridge is finished with a single 3mm blue LED and I have painted the inside of the bridge area with exception of the bridge windows to stop the "light bleed" my test seems to be ok so far. I "plan" to also add 1 each 3mm LED into each of the 2 helicopter bays, not sure on the colour thou, I ordered plenty of LED's as they are quite cheap, have multiples of Red, Yellow, Green, Orange, Blue, Faint White and a Bright "Fluro White"
I am thinking of the "Faint White" for the Helo Bays?
(I know that Burkes have Red and White lighting in the Helo Bays thanks to my "Ray Beans" Burke III DVD)
Wiring when finished will be tied & covered with heat shrink and internal. 2 small wires will come out of the hull on the "non looking" side and the on/off switch & 9V battery that can also sit on the non viewed side of the stand.
I can e-mail basic pics, but still not got around to know how to post pics here.

Rgds
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 pm 

Silly question but do all arleigh burke class destroyers look the same? I'm debating which one I want to build (first build I've done in years) It would be 1/350 scale.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 pm 

No they don't. The largest difference you'll see is between the Flight I/II and the Flight IIA series. The Flight IIA added the hangars at the stern for the helos. Within the Flight IIAs, you'll see the earlier ships sharing the same funnel style as the Flight I/II, but newer ships have the funnel tops enclosed for greater stealth.

Different ships also have different arrangements of CIWS and Harpoon launchers. Consult images, as always.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:06 am 

I thought I'd share some of my photos of DDG-51 returning to port August 31, 2012, they've helped me with my DDG-51 build, maybe they'll be some use:

http://s488.photobucket.com/user/nicksm ... ust%202012

Some low rez photos from the Photobucket library linked above:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:41 pm 

Hey guys! Any close up photos of the drainage pipes on the hull? How they "shrink" from wide to narrow on the waterline and where do they stop? I've seen some blurry photos showing that the pipes run down almost to the bilge keel.

Thanks for the help :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:15 pm 

I believe that those are part of the masker belts system - channels that pass all the way under the hull which are part of a noise canceling system. At the waterline there is generally one or two protective half rounds, perpendicular to the run, intended to keep the channel from being crushed by tugs or piers. They were also present on the Spruance Class, the Perry Class, the Kidd Class and the Ticonderoga Class.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:23 pm 

Charles Landrum wrote:
I believe that those are part of the masker belts system - channels that pass all the way under the hull which are part of a noise canceling system. At the waterline there is generally one or two protective half rounds, perpendicular to the run, intended to keep the channel from being crushed by tugs or piers. They were also present on the Spruance Class, the Perry Class, the Kidd Class and the Ticonderoga Class.

You are right! I did read about that once, but obviously forgot. So the channel passes below and rejoin on the other side? Are those half rounds in shape?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:06 pm 

Yes the channel aligns with the other side. The Dragon Spruance/Ticonderoga hull has them offset which is incorrect they pass exactly athwartships. Half-round in shape is the correct profile. I used Everergreen half-round styrene strips on my Dragon Spruance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:34 pm 

I was tempted to make a diorama with ddg67 cole just some minutes before the explosion, while mooring at berth nr 7 in aden port.
I could find very few images showing the berth platform and almost none allowing to undestand the layout of the pipes.
Can anybody help me?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 137.99 KiB | Viewed 2418 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:48 pm 

Here is one shot from Hazegray.org - http://www.hazegray.org/features/cole/cole20b.jpg

I found it by typing fueling pier Aden into Google. It is actually fueling dolphin 7. Some one at the Naval Post Graduate School has done a basic 3D rendering of the structure. Here is the link to the overhead view:

https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Scenarios ... 20View.png

that was all I could find.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:03 pm 

Really thanks Charles.
Indeed the first image was one I knew, the only helpful one I found in the net after many days of Google / Bing / Yahoo on Aden / dolphin / berth / fueling / pier / platform and similar keywords. The second link was instead unknown and it helps at least in shape definition (a bit more than Google_earth at maximum definition)
The other 3 photos I found (2 of which in Panoramio of Google_earth) and that I want to share here are the following. Maybe they can be of help for others.
All in all is not much to rebuild the piping...

Attachments:
Aden 1.png
Aden 1.png [ 181.58 KiB | Viewed 2576 times ]
Aden 2.jpg
Aden 2.jpg [ 26.33 KiB | Viewed 2576 times ]
Aden 3.png
Aden 3.png [ 188 KiB | Viewed 2576 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:14 pm 

Charles Landrum wrote:
Here is one shot from Hazegray.org - http://www.hazegray.org/features/cole/cole20b.jpg

I found it by typing fueling pier Aden into Google. It is actually fueling dolphin 7. Some one at the Naval Post Graduate School has done a basic 3D rendering of the structure. Here is the link to the overhead view:

https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Scenarios ... 20View.png

that was all I could find.

That is 100% correct. The attack was conducted on the opposite side.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:41 pm 

Updating Trumpeter's Cole DDG-67 to look like she did in 2004-05 and can't find clear shots of her armament on NavSource to determine:

- If she had Nulka installed?

- Which version of Phalanx was installed?

- If she had chainguns, and if so, which version?

Any help appreciated...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next