The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:41 pm 

Very interesting and thank you for the link. Curtis Wilber recently returned to the West Coast from Japan for overhaul.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:09 am 

Gents, just noticed, for anyone who may have downloaded the pics in my DDG51 post, page 23, that I miscaptioned / mislabeled the 2nd photo down (which no doubt some have already figured out). It should of course read DDG51 (not 117)! :roll_eyes:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:39 pm 

And where is the 2nd Phalanx gun on 117?[/quote]

From DDG 85 onwards they only have one CIWS that is located in the aft position. The forward position is going be the Laser weapon once they have a final design. DDG 105 and two other ships have had the laser weapon added where the forward CIWS would normally be. Many of the ships have what I call the armchair structure on the forward structure where the forward CIWS would be while others have a flat deck. However DDG 117 has the one CIWS mounted forward while the aft location supports a Sea Ram launcher.

Duane

Attachments:
DDG105-5220.jpg
DDG105-5220.jpg [ 119.79 KiB | Viewed 952 times ]

Cole DDG 67, The Sullivans DDG 68
Bainbridge DDG 96, Jason Dunham DDG 109
Arthur W. Radford DD 968, Kidd DDG 993
Chicago CG 11
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:16 am 

But you can see on the photos of USS Paul Ignatius (DDG-117) that she has a Phalanx in front of the bridge and a SeaRAM on the rear position ;) The ships of the class based in Rota are all modified. The question referred to a wrong statement from me - I was talking about two Phalanx, but she has only one and a SeaRAM.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:51 am 

Martin's review of the new I Love Kit 1/200 DDG-54 Curtis Wilbur is now online here. Keith Bender noticed and noted that the rudder and "shafts" are too far apart,, but I'm wondering if that's both fore and aft or if only the aft ends are misplaced and mayve the hull interface is less of an issue.

Given the props are reversed in pitch, I hope we see a set of 3D printed replacements. All told I'm happy with mine and plan to do John Paul Johns as I was able to tour her last year and I've always liked the man and the ships named after him.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:27 pm 

Tracy, tell me you don't want JPJ so you can play Battleship against the Aliens!! Cuz, I won't believe you.

The shafts appear to be parallel to the keel, as they should be, on the kit. So the whole lot needs to be moved inwards. Technically, not a big challenge, but disappointing.
The Props are actually pretty faithful to the original style of props used, as shown in the pic below. I agree, they could use an upgrade, but not completely unusable.

The Bigger issue I see is the Transom. Martins photo isn't 90 degrees dead on, but it captures the problem. As you can see in the pic below, it just doesn't look right.
The sides need a steeper angle, and I'd have to measure the kit to see if it is even the correct width.

That being said, I am very happy that they are bringing out such a nicely detailed kit of a modern USN workhorse. I don't personally go for 1/200, but the scale seems to be doing well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24