The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 pm 

Quote:
Gday all. I realize it's not about the Steregushchy class this question I'm about to ask but here it is anyway. I have been sorting out my collection on Modern Russian Warships and came across a problem. I have a drawing near the stern of the Neustrashimy Class warship which shows on this drawing a tunnel between the props and the stern of the ship. Picture is attached below. Can anyone confirm this with a picture of the ship to be accurate or false in this drawing.

Hi Mick,

perhaps we (or mods/admins) can create a topic for Neustrashimiy.
The answer to your above question is... YES.
See following pics. Also notice some extended structures in front of the props. No real pics about that (yet).
Anyhow, notice the rudders on the edge of the tunnel and the rather unusual shape of the tunnel for Russian ships (mostly more shallow I believe). Bigger version of the pics is available if you want them (but I think you have more than enough work on that Velikiy and Kuznetsov of yours :heh: )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 pm 

Neptune wrote:

Thanks Neptune for the pictures that make it clear what shape it is. Yes I do have enough work with the Admiral Kuznetsov and Frunze. Just recently also acquired a Steregushchy hull also 1/72. It's gonna be a great fleet when I ever get it done.
Something else new I saw on your first picture above. What's the bump near the prop location on the side of the hull?

1/72 Steregushchy-class corvette

Mick
Tumut Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:37 pm 

Well, got a call from God (known here under the name of Sean) who allowed me to make this topic as a spin off from the Stereguchiy class.
I hope he can merge it with the posts of Mick and me on Neustrashimiy.

Here is a part of a pic from another side. It's clear that she has some "bumps" in front of her props, I expect a similar structure as on the Udaloys, although the tunnel below the stern is very different (perhaps due to different type of VDS?)

So far there is a second ship in this class, which was taken into service one or two years ago named Yaroslavl Mudriy. A third, similar (but not same) ship named Tuman was under construction for a long time, but there doesn't seem to be much progress and the current state of the hull is not really promising :eyes_spinning: I think she is officially called Novik class. The Yaroslavl however is in service and is equipped with 16 Uran SSM missiles in the space between the funnel and bridge. There is also a raised structure between the Uran racks, which is missing on Neustrashimiy. No sign of an upgrade for Neustrashimy towards this standard. Both ships serve in the Baltic fleet for now.
Very handsome and rather different from preceding Krivak class hulls.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:40 pm 

The other posts have been moved to here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm 

Thanks a bunch mini-God. :heh:
I'm not exactly building or even planning a Neustrashimiy, but thought to share some pics of these handsome ships. Wonder if anybody has converted an earlier kit to the Yaroslavl Mudriy configuration.

It's something nice for Dave W, so he can finally use his splendid Kashtan on a nice ship!

Interesting rudder configuration as well since it's rather uncommon for Russian/Soviet ships to have two rudders (often 2 props, 1 rudder) and since they are placed rather close to each other...

After checking some pics, these things in front of the props must have been some evolution from the things tried on the Krivak III class.
Here is a Krivak III underside, looks like perhaps they have adapted the shape (as on Udaloy as well) to the prop and shaft configuration/direction to incorporate it better into the Neustrashimiy hull.
Also note that Krivaks do have a single rudder rather than twin configuration.
Neustrashimiy is in many ways a totally different ship from what they had built before.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 am 

Hi,

I’m a little bit confused about the colours of the Neustrashimy (712) and Yaroslav Mudry (727) russian frigates.

As far as I know there are consensus about the colour scheme on the Neustrashimy frigate. Red brick decks and grey for the vertical structures and Hull
In terms of WEM colour coats references means:
Decks: WEM CCO Russian Deck Red M13)and
Hull and vertical surfaces: WEM Russian Baltic Fleet Grey M20 or WEM Russian Northern Fleet Grey M11.
http://www.helis.com/database/pics/sis/420_712.jpg

But regarding the Yaroslav Mudry (727) frigate it seems there are (or at least there was) 2 different schemes
As you can see in the next photo, the SSM Launchers and some domes are painted with the Russian “Standard” grey, but the remaining ship seems to be painted with a darker grey!
http://cdn2.shipspotting.com/photos/mid ... 346464.jpg

However the next photo the same ship (Yaroslav Mudry) seems to painted with the Russian Standard, but the decks seems to painted in a dark sea grey pattern.
http://navaltoday.com/wp-content/upload ... -Lanka.jpg

So, what's the current scheme for Yaroslav Mudry (727)?
Dark sea grey decks with grey hull and structures and SSM and domes in a even lighter grey?
And what's the reference of the "new" russian dark grey colour?

You should probably guess by now: my next project is indeed Yaroslav Mudry (727) by Combrig (ref. 70320) !!!

Thanks.
regards,
Ayala Botto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:55 pm 

I think that both photos show the same painting scheme - only the light conditions are different. You can see that the Uran launchers are still painted in lighter colour. Grey colours appear very different in different light conditions.

Some Russian ships were seen in this very dark grey scheme, but it is not standard and I think that is also not specific to one fleet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:25 pm 

Hi,

So it's correct to use the WEM Russian Northern Fleet Grey M11 to paint the hull and vertical structures, correct?

What colour do you recommend to paint the decks as well as the Uran SSM?

The helicopter deck seems to be green, isn't it?

Thanks.
Regards,
Ayala Botto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:00 pm 

I have not used the WEM colours, therefore I cannot comment on that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:21 pm 

Hi,
What other colour paint references would you recommend to paint this model?

Thanks
Regards,
Ayala Botto