The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:26 pm 

For the port/forward SRBOC battery: the answer to all three of your 19:05 questions is yes. The outer launcher looks aimed about 40° off the centerline, and the partner launcher about 20°.

For the starboard SRBOC battery by the forward stack: your shipbucket sketch is accurate. The aft launcher looks aimed about 40° from the centerline, and the partner launcher about 20°.

Aboard units with the elevated structure for the aft CIWS, a fifth SRBOC launcher was mounted forward of the aft stack. This is the starboard launcher in the red circle of your 17:24 photo. In the Dragon 1020 kit, this launcher goes on part F9. It was aimed aft about 40° off the centerline. If this new battery comprised two SRBOC launchers, I don't know where is the other launcher (the sixth). I haven't seen it in photos or drawings.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:38 am 

Which fit does Dragon depicts? There is a very long list of differences between the 1/700 Dragon kits I know and the ship shown on the photo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:33 am 

I was Ops on Hayler when we did the conversion. With the shift of the SLQ-32 (Bands 2 and 3) antenna to the aft superstructure, two deck houses were fabricated just aft of the main mast, in addition to the SLQ-32 maintenance room outboard to starboard on the 04 level. If I recall these were magazines. On top of these were the aft SRBOC launchers. The starboard deck house was approx 3 feet higher than the port house and so the STBD SRBOC can be seen as circled in red. The port launchers were more hidden by the mast. Further after on the port side was the raised CIWS enclosure putting it over the Port SLQ-32 antenna. I used to call this structure the "CIWS pagoda". Both of the aft SRBOC launchers appear to point 20 degrees abaft the beam or 110 degrees from the bow. This configuration was common to the later Spruances modified - Hayler, Peterson, and Arthur W. Radford, as they were done at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:41 pm 

maxim wrote:
Which fit does Dragon depicts? There is a very long list of differences between the 1/700 Dragon kits I know and the ship shown on the photo.

This is the 1/350 Dragon Spruance. I don't know what fit the kit represents off the top of my head, but it's after the VLS install. I am aiming for a circa 1995 fit which is what the profile drawing I posted above represents.

Thanks so much for everyone that has chimed in on the SRBOC launchers...I just could not find a good picture of where they were located.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12