The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:38 pm 

The IJN, as did most 20th-century naval powers, employed numerous classes and types of these versatile, durable ships. Many Japanese destroyers featured robust, seaworthy designs, high speed, world-class weaponry and highly-trained crews, skilled in the art of night combat.

Many also featured distinctive styling and elegant lines that, while not particularly relevant to their fighting and operational capabilities, make very appealing and interesting subjects to study and model.

My approach to collecting and modeling major WW2 fleet collections (with certain exceptions), is to represent a good cross-section of ship types, classes and, whenever it may apply, ships of other historical or technical interest. While I don't strictly limit my choices to these boundaries, I do try to use this sensible, organized collecting method. This helps me to manage both my limited finances and available display/storage space.

To this end, I wanted to build at least one representative unit of each major IJN warship class, but I ran into some difficulty when it came to choosing which IJN destroyer kits to purchase. I found such choices harder to make than I expected, using catalog and website descriptions based on ships' names ("Fubuki-class", "Kagero-class", etc.).

The sheer number and variety of available 1:700 scale IJN destroyer kits is incredible! Narrowing all these possibilities down to the kits I would need by using ships' names, is a process I soon found impractical. I wanted a better method to finalize my kit-buying choices, especially as I wished to avoid buying duplicated kits (manufacturers will often market one basic kit under two or more covers that differ in name, only).

Using my limited IJN resources (supplemented by this website), I compiled a "master list" from which to select the destroyers I am interested in modeling. My efforts resulted in a list of five major classes or "types", as follows: Special, London Treaty, Cruiser, Experimental, and Anti-aircraft. Many of these classes were further sub-categorized, leaving me with 10 to 12 kit choices in order to meet my one-ship-per-category modeling goal.

While not every destroyer appearing on my list will correspond to an available kit, someone wishing to model a variant of a particular ship may be able to cross-reference a kit, from this list. I hope someone will find it of value.

Special Type, First Group:

Fubuki
Hatsuyuki
Isonami
Miyuki
Murakumo
Shinonome
Shirakumo
Usugumo

Special Type, I-Kai/Transitional:

Uranami

Special Type, Second Group:

Akebono
Amagiri
Asagiri
Ayanami 42
Oboro
Sagiri
Sazanami
Shikinami
Ushio
Yugiri

Special Type, Third Group:

Akatsuki
Hibiki
Ikazuchi
Inazuma

London Treaty, First Class:

Ariake
Hatsuharu
Hatsushimo
Nenohi
Wakaba
Yugure

London Treaty, Second Class:

Kawakaze
Harusame
Murasame
Samidare
Shiratsuyu
Shigure
Suzukaze
Umikaze
Yamakaze
Yudachi

Cruiser Type, First Class:

Arare
Arashio
Asagumo
Asashio
Kasumi
Oshio
Michishio
Minegumo
Natsugumo
Yamagumo

Cruiser Type, Second Class:

Akigumo
Amatsukaze
Arashi
Isokaze
Hagikaze
Hamakaze 45
Hatsukaze
Hayashio
Kagero
Kuroshio
Maikaze
Natsushio
Nowaki
Oyashio
Shiranu(h)i
Tanikaze
Tokitsukaze
Urakaze
Yukikaze

Cruiser Type, Third Class:

Akishimo
Asashimo
Fujinami
Hamanami
Hayanami
Hayashimo
Kazegumo
Kishinami
Kiyonami
Kiyoshimo
Makigumo
Makinami
Naganami
Okinami
Onami
Suzunami
Takanami
Tamanami
Yugumo

Experimental Type:

Shimakaze

Anti-aircraft Type:

Akizuki
Fuyuzuki
Hanatsuki
Haruzuki
Hatsuzuki
Natsuzuki
Niizuki
Shimozuki
Suzutsuki
Teruzuki
Wakatsuki
Yoizuki

Last edited by RNfanDan on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:30 am 

See my post, below...I have the Tamiya model of this vessel and after checking references , find that the rear set of triple 25's don't appear to have been installed during her short career, well at least her plan profile as at 1943 does not show them. And as built she only carried 2 twin mounts, although the plan prifile shows a 3 triple mounts.
Can any one shed some light on this ?

http://www.combinedfleet.com/shimak03.jpg

RNfanDan wrote:
Shimakaze carried a single 25mm ahead of the bridge, and two twins abreast the after funnel. This applies through 1943 and into 1944.

In 1944, the single mount was replaced by a dual, the existing twins replaced by triples, and X turret was removed and replaced by two triple 25mm--a total of 14. Later that year, a batch of single 25mm was added wherever they could fit on the decks, and radar was added.

Well then Tamiya have not done their home work, as X turret is still attached as well as the extra 2 sets of triples, which are on a raised platform between the 2nd and 3rd set of torpedoe tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:47 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
Shimakaze carried a single 25mm ahead of the bridge, and two twins abreast the after funnel. This applies through 1943 and into 1944.

In 1944, the single mount was replaced by a dual, the existing twins replaced by triples, and X turret was removed and replaced by two triple 25mm--a total of 14. Later that year, a batch of single 25mm was added wherever they could fit on the decks, and radar was added.

It would be interesting to hear where your information came from RNFanDan.

Totally inaccurate, ( NO disrespect ). This exact mod has been quoted before and summilarily disproved.

Just have a look at the last photo of her burning before she sank. X turret is still there, all three torpedo tubes are there, triple 25mm on all platforms and the additional 25 x single 25mm on her decks.

Bill,- PM me if you want the final configuration as sunk.

Backed up by:-

Miyukikai Plan set.
Kobe Museum Archives.
Survivor reports.
IJN film.
Personal photographs.

Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:48 am 
This was recently discussed on the J-Aircraft site. An aerial photo of Shimakaze, taken shortly before she was sunk, showed all 3 twin 5" mounts still in place. The extra triple 25MM WERE added between TT mounts 2 and 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:26 am 
The Shimikaze and Yugumo class never had their X-turret removed (except Yukikaze) as their main armament could elevate more than for instance the Kagero class due to their newer mounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:33 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

The book "Japanese destroyers 1918-45, Vol. 2 - first class destroyers" by Apalkov tells about the issue:
A A4-sized plan of Shimakaze in june 43 shows 3 twin 5" , 2 twin 25 mm mounts at a platform around the second funnel and one twin 13mm at the front, The aerial photo referenced by Dick J is also there, and a second platform with two AA mounts is clearly visible there between mounts 2 and 3.
The text about Shimakaze's armament claims the following:
From june 44 - 6 127mm/50 type 13 mod D modif. 1, 14 - 25mm /60 type 96.. in text it is said it was 4x3, 1x2
From nov 44 - 6 127mm/50 type 13 mod D modif. 1, 28 - 25mm/60 type 96 - 4x3, 1x2, 14x1

I have no idea how the singles were placed, triples were probably on the midships platforms, and a twin in front of a bridge, instead of 13 mm.

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:39 pm 

PetrOs wrote:
The book "Japanese destroyers 1918-45, Vol. 2 - first class destroyers" by Apalkov
The text about Shimakaze's armament claims the following:
From june 44 - 6 127mm/50 type 13 mod D modif. 1, 14 - 25mm /60 type 96.. in text it is said it was 4x3, 1x2
From nov 44 - 6 127mm/50 type 13 mod D modif. 1, 28 - 25mm/60 type 96 - 4x3, 1x2, 14x1

Thanks for that PetrOs, having dates makes it far quicker to refer back to work orders and see how the discrepancy occurred.

Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:42 pm 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Art wrote:

Thanks for that PetrOs, having dates makes it far quicker to refer back to work orders and see how the discrepancy occurred.

Art

You are welcome!
Do you know that photo I mean, or shall I scan it and a drawing and mail you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:58 pm 

[/quote]

You are welcome!
Do you know that photo I mean, or shall I scan it and a drawing and mail you?[/quote]

I have both already thankyou, plus others as yet unpublished.

Now talking to the official historian in Japan who is saying that what was ordered and what was installed are two different things. It depended on what was available and practical at the time. There was great difficulty in procuring armament ordered due to priorities and the prevailing conditions.

What great fun! Talking to someone who has a mind-set of the IJN in 1945!

Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:08 pm 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Well, I just uploaded them temporarily to my webspace. Just have fun and dont advertise them too much. I have similar drawings for all "modern" jap destroyers (for most classes also different ships/fits) as well as for all cruisers.... Those books from Apalkov are hilarious in this respect, too bad I dont have all of them.

http://www.modellbaudienst.de/diff/shima_plan.png
http://www.modellbaudienst.de/diff/shima_photo.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:29 pm 

Art wrote:
RNfanDan wrote:

It would be interesting to hear where your information came from RNFanDan.

Totally inaccurate, ( NO disrespect ).
Art

No disrepect inferred, and thanks for your correction!

I used two separate, corroborating publications for my (mis)information--they are separated by some 22 publication years, so I assumed my cross-check of the earlier one was valid. Here were my sources---

1) Japanese Warships of World War II, AJ Watts (1966), p. 153:
"In 1944 "X" turret was removed and replaced by 25mm triple mounts giving her [Shimakaze] 14---25mm. A.A. After June 1944 this was raised again to 28---25mm. A.A. and 4--13 mm. were added."

2)Destroyers of World War Two, M.J. Whitley (1988), p. 202:
"Modifications The forward 25mm was made a twin in 1944 and No. 2 gun-house was landed and replaced by two triple 25mm. The twins abreast the funnel were also converted to triple mounts for a total of fourteen 25mm guns. By mid 1944, fourteen single 25mm on the upper and main decks brought this total up to 28 guns. Type 22 radar was also added on the foremast."

As far as my post being TOTALLY inaccurate, that may be an over-reaction; from what has since been posted, the only serious flaw I can see, is that the ship did NOT land X-turret to facilitate the additional 25mm triples. The remaining information i.e., the twin mount ahead of the bridge, the replacement of the existing twins with triple mounts, the addition of two new triple 25mm mounts, and the general time-frame all seem to be valid. I made no mention of torpedo tubes.

I am pleased to have the singular X-turret misinformation corrected--Shimakaze is a project I have included among my choices for IJN builds, in the days ahead. I presume that the radar addition is also correct, as this has not been challenged...

My apologies for the errant information, I was trying to be helpful. I had no idea that two widely-published, time-separated sources from different authors, would both be incorrect.

:wave_1:

Last edited by RNfanDan on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:48 pm 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Filipe Ramires wrote:
Didn't have those plans...look fairly good indeed. Photo I have it on my folders plus the other 3 of her. Cheers Petros

Well, the book and the plans were printed in 1995-2002 in russia by a series of 500 copies only... No reprint occured so far. So I suppose you cant have those plans ;o)

Shimakaze section has only one plan... but the section on Fubuki class, which lived longer and had many ships has around 25 plans... covering most ships throughout their carreers. Prolly the damn best book series about the japanese navy ships... Im still hunting for other volumes, but still possess only cruisers, and destroyers part 2 (from Fubuki on) books. Missing Submarines, Destroyers part 1, and other? (never saw other ones.... are there any?) volumes... Case someone has those, I'd like to do a copy exchange....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:05 am 

As you gentlemen are availed of the finest IJN resources, I'd appreciate your opinions on these two books:
"
*Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945 by Hansgeorg Jentschura, Dieter Jung, and Peter Mickel

*Cruisers of the Pacific War by Eric LaCroix

As the inaccuracy of my current IJN resources has been revealed, I will be acquiring replacements for them, in preparation for a number of build projects. I would like the most accurate, comprehensive, centralized material I can find, short of learning to read Japanese text.

I am especially in need of reliable destroyer and cruiser references...

Suggestions are definitely welcomed! :lol_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:11 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
As you gentlemen are availed of the finest IJN resources, I'd appreciate your opinions on these two books:
"
*Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945 by Hansgeorg Jentschura, Dieter Jung, and Peter Mickel

*Cruisers of the Pacific War by Eric LaCroix

As the inaccuracy of my current IJN resources has been revealed, I will be acquiring replacements for them, in preparation for a number of build projects. I would like the most accurate, comprehensive, centralized material I can find, short of learning to read Japanese text.

I am especially in need of reliable destroyer and cruiser references...

Suggestions are definitely welcomed! :lol_1:

Dan buy both of those there must haves I have both.

Also get the photo books by Fukui I have all 3 and they will sort you with the best selection of high quality large page photographs for the IJN, shame there wasn't a DD one though!

Their destroyers I found it more difficult to get top level ref material on, though I've not been hunting for about 2 years and I know there is a ton of Japanese market only publications ever since the 1970s, its just being able to find the bleeders! :mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:13 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Well, for destroyers I really like the book I ref'ed above. I cross checked some of them, and found no flaw. Many plans, drawings, detailed upgrade information about each particular ship..... Not too much photos however.

For photos I usually just google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:19 am 

PetrOs wrote:

For photos I usually just google.

They are of course much better quality and full page in these Fukui photo books I have but I only have 3 volumes, Carriers, Battleships and Cruisers I wish there was one on the subs and another on their destroyers as its those two I find it the hardest to get decent high quality close-ups of.

google usually only ever throws up compressed low-resolution and it never has decent close-ups I alwasy find.

PetrOs this IJN destroyer book you reference is it the same Russian one freely downloadable from that iffy Russian site? There was a IJN DD book 1 & 2 on there.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:29 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Laurence Batchelor wrote:

They are of course much better quality and full page in these Fukui photo books I have but I only have 3 volumes, Carriers, Battleships and Cruisers I wish there was one on the subs and another on their destroyers as its those two I find it the hardest to get decent high quality close-ups of.

google usually only ever throws up compressed low-resolution and it never has decent close-ups I alwasy find.

PetrOs this IJN destroyer book you reference is it the same Russian one freely downloadable from that iffy Russian site? There was a IJN DD book 1 & 2 on there.

Cheers

I'd agree with ya on photos. I just ordered Fraccaroli photo book on italian navy at my library...Surprisingly its freely available there! I have to check if they also have Fukui there.

Which site? Gimme the link! I'll check, as if the volume 1 is there, i'd be damn happy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:32 am 

PetrOs wrote:
Laurence Batchelor wrote:

Cheers

I'd agree with ya on photos. I just ordered Fraccaroli photo book on italian navy at my library...Surprisingly its freely available there! I have to check if they also have Fukui there.

Which site? Gimme the link! I'll check, as if the volume 1 is there, i'd be damn happy!

I didnt keep the site as it took me a week to download everything off there and its all saved so I no longer needed the link. There is no cover for the book in the scans, wait til I can speak to a mate tonight who I think saved the link. It was a terribly slow Russian site which had only dialup bandwidth and I had to use firefox to get the images as it took ages for each image to load in a browser! :mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:38 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Hmm, you mean Links to this site not allowed due to copyright violations.?
They have many books there, but this one not, at least not there a few weeks ago. Look at http://www.modellbaudienst.de/diff/shima_plan.png and say if it looks like a shimakaze plan from your book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:38 am 

PetrOs wrote:
Well, I just uploaded them temporarily to my webspace.
http://www.modellbaudienst.de/diff/shima_plan.png

I found it interesting that the plan drawing you uploaded shows absolutely NO details regarding these additional AA modifications. Is there a decent and accurate plan drawing available, that includes these?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next