The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:25 am 
Can anyone tell me what the boxes are with the fold down doors just in front of the gun platform.

http://images8.fotosik.pl/147/a0e24a80e699a49e.jpg

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:11 am 

Not sure why the last 2 posts don't have my user name on as I was logged in when i posted them.
Tony (IJN Fan)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:50 am 

I'm pretty sure they are ammo boxes, with no mesh. There are photos of Hatsuzakura taken from astern from USS Nicholas, and of Hagi, which shows, them. Hagi may have 4.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:35 pm 

So possibly Ammo boxes for the Type 89's Dan? Would make sense I guess as have to get shells from somewhere. If my jumping to conclusions on your reply is correct then I had better look at the plan again at the forward gun area to see if there are any boxes there.
Will need to find some pics/drawings to see how the latches were on them then.
Many Thanks again Dan for your help.

Regards
Tony

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:02 pm 

Use these:

Attachments:
25mm ammo boxes, GPS DD vol.jpg
25mm ammo boxes, GPS DD vol.jpg [ 121.12 KiB | Viewed 3366 times ]
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:15 pm 

I don't have a larger version of this Hatsuzakura pic readily available but,, two ammo boxes are visible in that rear position. More in this colorized version of Hagi.

Attachments:
Hatsuzukura, postwar.jpg
Hatsuzukura, postwar.jpg [ 46.93 KiB | Viewed 3364 times ]
Hagi, 1945 at Yokosuka, colorized.jpg
Hagi, 1945 at Yokosuka, colorized.jpg [ 133.78 KiB | Viewed 3363 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:16 am 

Cheers Dan.
I will use creative licence to adapt to suit.
Almost finished my 25mm Ammo boxes using the same drawing :)

Regards
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:12 pm 

Problem solved ! Found this using my good friend Google. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:44 am 

I'm currently building a 1/700 waterline Tamiya Matsu. in this thread there are some ship plans, photographs and built models of these ships. However I can't seem to locate small deck vents. There only three large (tall) vents on the deck - two, fore and aft of the first funnel and one aft of the second funnel. Are there any smaller deck vents and mushroom vents around the deck? I have these 1/700 vents on hand to use on my IJN DDs

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/rainbow/rain-7078

https://www.hlj.com/product/ADNANN-0010/Nav

To a lesser degree any help with the correct number and exact placement of cable reels would also be useful to my Matsu build. I'm trying to be as accurate as possible.

Thank you kindly in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:18 am 

Hi f14dtomcat.

I will dig out all the information, model photos etc that I have here on file for my 1/72 build and will try to help where I can. Will have to wait until tomorrow night though as the ball and chain has other plans I can't weasel out of tonight.

I am sure others more knowledgeable like Dan will help too.

Regards
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:38 am 

I'll see what the Hara Shobo plans have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:55 pm 

The Hara Shobo plans offered hull lines only, no real plans. The Nihon no Gunkan plans are not as detailed as any in the Hara Shobo book but they, in conjunction with what I see in Gakken vol. 43 on the Matsu/Tachibana classes, seem to show a couple of square vents, not circular mushroom type. It will be interesting to see what TonyG comes up with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:11 am 

I am afraid the best I have to go by is the Profile Morskie Book on USS Gendreau, Matsu and HMS Brissenden so a bit of creative license is a distinct possibility although the drawings do relate about 98% with every other drawing or plan that seems to be in printed matter.

It shows 2 tall vents on front of the aft funnel base with cone shaped tops, 1 of same on Fwd Funnel. There is a small mushroom type vent on left front (looking fwd) of aft funnel.
At rear of the superstructure just in front of the Type 89 they have depicted a short fat vent on the left rear corner on the deck.

I will PM you with the details so I don't get into trouble over posting the Profile Morskie images.

Sorry, its a tough one to get answers to.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:50 am 

Thank you, Dan K, I've never heard of Hara Shobo until you posted. A very useful link that I'm sure would be helpful somewhere down the road as I continue with my 1/700 IJN DD builds. I was hoping to meet you at the IPMS USA nats last month but you did not attend, perhaps at the World Model Expo Chicago, USA (July 7-9) 2017? At the nats in Columbus I met Bob Cicconi and sgtryan13.

Thank you, TonyG, 98% accuracy is plenty good for me. I've just sent you my email. Thank you lots for your assistance!

Matthew Liew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:29 pm 

Believe me, Matthew, I'm sorry I didn't I didn't make it to the NATS this year as well. Didn't work out for me. Chicago 2017? It's a possibility. I will be going to Columbia for next year's NATS.

I am going to amend my comments on the ventilators. I was intrigued by the questions, so I took a closer look at my photo references (Gakken #43 is very helpful). For the most part, it seems that the both the Matsus and the Tachibanas used a sort of updated gooseneck style of ventilator. However, the Matsus used ones that were cylindrical in cross-section, as opposed to the square cross-section of the Tachibanas. There seems to be further variation among each class. However, I cannot yet ID any mushroom style ventilators.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:31 am 

Hi guys,
After 3+ decades of abstinence from plastics, glue, and sharp pointy objects, I began modeling again about a year ago. My interests included any and all Japanese aircraft of WW2 and some armoured vehicles of the same time period. However, I discovered this site as a result of a search for an item completely unrelated to ships. Regardless, I am truly amazed and impressed by the workmanship of those who post on this forum!! I have taken an urge to try my hand at some model ship building again ( I had built several waterline ships when they first came out, late 70's early 80's....). I wanted to see if my poor vision and fat, shaky fingers would allow me the courtesy. Baby steps, I guess!! I did indulge in a AM product from Five Star of an upgrade set for Tamiya's Matsu destroyer....yikes :eyes_spinning:

I am including a pic of one of the instruction sheets (bottom image), apparently a mod for launching of mini-subs or perhaps mines?!? I have no reference material other than this forum and anything on the 'net. Could anyone give some info on this?....BTW I'm doing the standard rear deck. Thanx and have a great Thanksgiving!!

Attachments:
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG [ 94.26 KiB | Viewed 2819 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:45 am 

Several of the Matsu/Tachibana class were fitted to act as kaiten launchers very late in the war, which is what that mod represents. I'll have to look up the names; I believe Take was one such ship.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:22 pm 

Nashi was another. After the war, she was raised, rebuilt as a test ship, and recommissioned as JMSDF Wakaba,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:28 am 

Thanks for that information, Dan!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:02 pm 

After some additional exploration, I found this pic on the Miyabikoubou/Models website and this illustration on Wiki showing examples of ( or perhaps interpretations?) of IJN Take. Maybe these images are not gospel, but perhaps I can use them at a later time. I say a later time because the Five Star set has a lot of etch items that I am not quite comfortable in using just yet. If anyone has used this set, or has more info or pics on the late war modifications of this ship, it would be appreciated ! :wave_1: Doug

Attachment:
20110710 481a.jpg
20110710 481a.jpg [ 126.03 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]

Attachment:
Fig_of_IJN_DD_Take_1944-1945.gif
Fig_of_IJN_DD_Take_1944-1945.gif [ 18.04 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]