The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:29 am 

I've been looking over the new Orange Hobby Batch 3 which looks so well done, but it only makes me crave a Batch 1. Has anyone heard any rumors to the effect that Orange Hobby are going to do a Batch 1? I've been holding off getting the WEM Brilliant hoping for something a little more finely done - or even an injected molded kit which I don't think is a real possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:24 pm 

Hi Guys

Does anyone know who and where I can obtain a 700 scale model of type 22 batch 1
as you this type had two profiles due to the funnels

stevie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:40 am 

There is only the WEM kit of the Type 22 Batch 1. I guess it is currently difficult to get, but it could be that it was available with both types of funnels.

Here is HMS Brilliant I built using the WEM kit:

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3070:britische-fregatte-brilliant-1700-wem-von-lars-scharff&catid=112

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:09 pm 

I am surprised that none of the Falklands ships are available in 1/350 scale. The Type 42 and Type 22 were very busy in 1982 and of course Hercules and Santissima Trinidad. There were plans to turn the latter into a floating museum but I doubt if that will happen after she sank at her moorings.

I wish trumpeter would give the Type 22 some attention, they were handsome ships and I think Chile still operates some?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:35 pm 

Three of the Type 22 Batch 1 are in service with the Brazilian navy. The Chilean navy has a Type 22 Batch 2, Almirante Williams ex Sheffield. Romania has two other Batch 2. But only the two Batch 1, Broadsword and Brilliant, fought at Falkland. Today only Broadsword still serves as Greenhalgh for the Brazilian navy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:47 am 

maxim wrote:
Three of the Type 22 Batch 1 are in service with the Brazilian navy. The Chilean navy has a Type 22 Batch 2, Almirante Williams ex Sheffield. Romania has two other Batch 2. But only the two Batch 1, Broadsword and Brilliant, fought at Falkland. Today only Broadsword still serves as Greenhalgh for the Brazilian navy.

Interesting, thanks Maxim.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:12 am 

Besides the Batch 1 kits, there are also 1/700 kits of the Batch 3 by Atlantics and Orange Hobby.

I built HMS Chatham using the Orange Hobby kit of Cornwall:

HMS Chatham (1/700, Orange Hobby)

The model was converted to depict Chatham as she intercepted the Maltese tanker 25 years ago, on the 1st of May 1994, during Operation Sharp Guard. I added 2 cm guns, torpedo tubes and a boat on starboard plus some smaller changes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:55 am 

Today, 30 years ago, on the 25th of February 1991, an Iraqi coastal battery attacked the Allied fleet with two Silkworm (HY-2) anti-ship missiles. One failed, the other was destroyed by HMS Gloucester and its remains fall close to HMS London into the sea. London was the flagship of RN during Operation Granby (Second Gulf War).

London was a Type 22 Batch frigate (Boxer class) and served between 1987 and 1999. 2003, she was sold to Romania and still is serving there as Regina Maria.

As far as I know, there is no 1/700 kit of the Batch 2. Therefore I converted the Orange Hobby kit of Cornwall (Batch 3). Mainly, the superstructure behind the bridge has to be modified, plus the 4.5" have to replaced by four Exocet launchers plus 30 mm twins and 20 singles have to be added..

with HMS Brilliant (Batch 1) and HMS Chatham (Batch 3)

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php/modelle/112-lars/6150-fregatte-hms-london-1-700-umbau-orange-hobby-von-lars-scharff