The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:58 am 

G'day!

First post, so firstly my name is Allen, all round modeller, photographer, volunteer fire fighter and nutcase! I'm working on the 1/350 Academy Oliver Hazard Perry, to, that's right, you guessed it, turn into a RAN FFG. I'm going to aim for Sydney circa late 1980's/early 90's, as that was when my Uncle was aboard her as the WEEO and then LCDR, now he's RADM and head of Engineering for the Fleet. My Brother-In-Law was her XO (and funnily enough, also currently a LCDR!) and is now serving as her interim CO till she pays off, so there's a connection, plus my brother is currently on Newcastle and had been on Canberra and Adelaide, so we have a strong run with FFG's.

My question is paint. I've done the Bunnings run and bought a 250ml sample pot of N42 Storm Grey from Dulux (gotta love the internet for such things, and this forum!). What has other people done to this this paint down for airbrushing? Will standard model paint thinners work, or do I need to use actual paint thinners?

All help is most appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:04 am 

Code Gray wrote:
G'day!

First post, so firstly my name is Allen, all round modeller, photographer, volunteer fire fighter and nutcase! I'm working on the 1/350 Academy Oliver Hazard Perry, to, that's right, you guessed it, turn into a RAN FFG. I'm going to aim for Sydney circa late 1980's/early 90's, as that was when my Uncle was aboard her as the WEEO and then LCDR, now he's RADM and head of Engineering for the Fleet. My Brother-In-Law was her XO (and funnily enough, also currently a LCDR!) and is now serving as her interim CO till she pays off, so there's a connection, plus my brother is currently on Newcastle and had been on Canberra and Adelaide, so we have a strong run with FFG's.

My question is paint. I've done the Bunnings run and bought a 250ml sample pot of N42 Storm Grey from Dulux (gotta love the internet for such things, and this forum!). What has other people done to this this paint down for airbrushing? Will standard model paint thinners work, or do I need to use actual paint thinners?

All help is most appreciated!

Also from Bunnings or Mitre 10, Diggers Fast Spraying Enamel Thinners, though I suspect that as you said sample pot you might be stuck with some rather thick, hard to brush acrylic paint.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:40 pm 

Quote:
Also from Bunnings or Mitre 10, Diggers Fast Spraying Enamel Thinners, though I suspect that as you said sample pot you might be stuck with some rather thick, hard to brush acrylic paint.

No, it seems to be a fairly good consistency, I can slosh it around easily enough, I just wondering what the best thinners were, just regular thinners or model thinners.

On a side note, I had bonehead moment, and sanded off the detail on the starboard side of the hull, was working on at 1am thinking from memory that she was clean hulled, when my screen saver showed a image I shot of her last year with the vertical strakes and the horizontal strengthens on the hull. Guess I'm building her in some heavy weather to hide it, or else buy a new kit!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:55 pm 

Can't help you with thinners for acrylic. Never use the stuff.

BTW, for a period from the 1980s, the RAN used the same deck colour (color?) as the USN which is FS36076. Model Master's Engine Grey is this colour. Interestingly, they went back to good old Pewter a little while back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:02 pm 

Yeah they switched to pewter somewhere in the early 90's from memory. I'm building her in that period, prior to the refit with the vertical launch system for the Evolved Sparrows on the bow, in other words my first encounter with Sydney! Humbrol Admiralty grey is a match for the pewter, but it's a gloss, so I'll have to lay a mat coat over it once I've sprayed it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 am 

Researching online, and apparently a close match for RAN FFG Storm grey is Humbrol 126 or Tamyia X-19, now this is getting confusing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:40 am 

Code Gray wrote:
Researching online, and apparently a close match for RAN FFG Storm grey is Humbrol 126 or Tamyia X-19, now this is getting confusing

Not really, 126 per Humbrol 126 is supposed to be USN Haze Grey. All I know of X19 is that it is called Smoke, doesn't sound like a greenish grey.

BTW Dark Admiralty Grey and Pewter aren't actually the same colour either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:24 pm 
Good evening everyone, this is my first post and I want to perform the model last year of HMAS Melbourne (FFG 05), scale 1: 350, based on the Academy kit frigate Oliver Hazard Perry.
Modifications and railings are all scratch.

Greetings from Chile, South America.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:16 pm 

Very nice! :thumbs_up_1:

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:33 am 

Hi,

what PE set do you recommend to use on the Oliver H.Perry class frigates (long hull version) at 1/700 scale?

thanks.
regards,
Ayala Botto