The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:11 am 

Hey Rick Davis,

A couple of postings back you asked if there would ever be a 1/350 version of my 1/144 stack. Had to rebuild a corrupt database, and here it is, what do you think?

Bruce

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:11 pm 

Wow! :cool_2: That looks fantastic!! :woo_hoo:

Bob pink. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:54 pm 

Hmmm ... Are you going to go into serial production? :cool_1: :big_grin:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:25 pm 

Rick,
I'd consider doing an offering if there really was enough people interested to make it worth the time and effort. But, people would have to understand that they would get two parts, the trunk and the stack and the rest is on them; there would be no PE for extra detail.

Bruce

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:30 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Brilliant!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:57 am 

Hey-
Great stuff in here! I am wondering the best way to make a 1/350 USS Hammann, which has been on my to-do list for a long time. I have the Iron Shipwright resin USS Russell (1943) and was going to go forward with that. Any opinions of this kit? I also have a Dragon USS Livermore (Gleaves Class) to have some bits and pieces that might be better than the resin parts of the Iron Shipwright kit. Is it correct that the Gleaves Class and Sims Class shared the same hull? In looking at the parts I was thinking it might be easier to use the Dragon hull rather than do the cleanup and cut the hull at the waterline of the resin kit. Any thoughts/advice?

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I'm kind of new here (1st post) and still working on searches.

Thanks,
Phil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:48 am 

The hulls were the same on the SIMS-BENSON-GLEAVES classes. In a sense they were almost all the same class except for different power plants and hence stack arrangements. The bridge and armament were about the same for much of the war, except for having quad TT mounts on the SIMS class.

Converting a BENSON-GLEAVES class kit (which kit is best would depend on what time frame and unit you want to do) to a SIMS would require some scratch building of deckhouses, etc. But, shouldn't be too difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:56 am 

Rick-
Thanks! I'll likely go forward with that approach. I'm going to try to build USS Hammann at the time of her loss, so if you have any good pics or can point me to any good references, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Phil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:26 pm 

Unfortunately there aren't many images of HAMMANN during the war. Which is kind of understandable considering how short her war service was.

Here is the only image I have of HAMMANN in the Pacific shortly before her loss. You can check Navsource and NHHC websites to see what other images are commonly available.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:40 pm 

Navsource has a Jan '42 shot of the port-side camo.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0541206.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:54 pm 

Phil

Check the photos of my models, I have built several ISW Russell models as 42 era Sims class ships. Another, Morris, was submitted to the site on 11/11. I think I can help you use the kit to create a good Hammann model.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:53 pm 

Hi all,

On the Sims-class midships deckhouse portside (the one which the torpedo tube mounts are installed on), there is a notch there. Does anyone know what is inside that notch? Her plans show a scuttle at the main deck level, but is there anything else there? Is there anything on the bulkhead sides, like portholes or other hatchways? My plans don't show anything there on the notch's walls.

Many thanks,

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:41 pm 

aptivaboy wrote:
Hi all,

On the Sims-class midships deckhouse portside (the one which the torpedo tube mounts are installed on), there is a notch there. Does anyone know what is inside that notch? Her plans show a scuttle at the main deck level, but is there anything else there? Is there anything on the bulkhead sides, like portholes or other hatchways? My plans don't show anything there on the notch's walls.

Many thanks,

Bob

Does this port-side photo of DD411's torpedo tubes include the notched area that you're asking about? (I'm having trouble seeing it--is it something more obvious looking down on the area?)

Dave K

Attachments:
DD411 20-21May43 crop of portside.jpg
DD411 20-21May43 crop of portside.jpg [ 54.18 KiB | Viewed 2856 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:15 pm 

Yup, that's it, the dark rectangle or square with the sailor's head right in the middle of it. Look at Torpedo Tube Mount #1, the aft end of it, and go straight down. Its also below and to the left (forward) of the mushroom vent atop the deckhouse. Its an inset area in the deckhouse. I'm interested in any bulkhead furniture, hatches, and the like that may have been in there. The scuttle at deck level I know is there as per the plans, but its such a significant area relative to the overall size of the deckhouse that I have to think there's something more in there.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:24 am 

This area is only on the portside. There is a hatch down to the engine room and an escape scuttle. Much of this deckhouse is taken up with workshops. See the attached from USS WAINWRIGHT's (DD-419) 1945 BGP. The inserted arrow points to the "notched" out area. None of the photos I have gives a clear view into this area to show what may be located on the bulkheads except for hand rails. According to the plans, there isn't any direct access to the workshops from this "notched space", so no doors. My guess is that this was done so that there was access to below decks with some shelter from the elements during rough seas.

Attachments:
zDD419MidDeckhouseDetails.jpg
zDD419MidDeckhouseDetails.jpg [ 191.05 KiB | Viewed 2846 times ]
zDD411MidDeckhouseDetails.jpg
zDD411MidDeckhouseDetails.jpg [ 193.99 KiB | Viewed 2846 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 pm 

Many thanks! You're the best. I was able to pick out a porthole centered on the fore-aft bulkhead above the scuttle in a photo of Anderson, so I added that to the design. No doors though, is a welcome confirmation.

Thank you again!

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:00 am 

Here are two of the better photos I have of that area.

Attachments:
DD420 alcove on portside of deckhouse2-15Nov42.jpg
DD420 alcove on portside of deckhouse2-15Nov42.jpg [ 121.71 KiB | Viewed 2752 times ]
DD420 alcove on portside of deckhouse-15Nov42.jpg
DD420 alcove on portside of deckhouse-15Nov42.jpg [ 104.04 KiB | Viewed 2752 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:36 pm 

Those are great, too. They'll help a lot, especially since they're 1942 photos before much was altered. In a number of the units, the deckhouse's roof line was built out as the war went on, so this helps a ton.

Thanks!

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:29 pm 

Hi all,

I've been working on a Sims conversion and I'm wondering is anyone would like to check my work. I'm not a professional draftsman or anything, just a guy who fins this stuff fun. There's also a thread at the Virtual Ship Modeling part of the site, but I wasn't sure if any other Sims-o-philes had seen it.

Any comments on the parts? Where can I improve them? Given that this will be printed in 1/350th eventually, there is a practical limit to how far down the miniaturization scale I can take the little fiddly bits, and I've had to simplify a number of details, like the piping arrangements and the connectors anchoring the piping to the funnel, for them to have a chance at being printable.

The Photobucket album is here (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/aptiva ... t=4&page=1), and the most recent work is on these images:

http://s231.photobucket.com/user/aptiva ... sort=4&o=3

http://s231.photobucket.com/user/aptiva ... sort=4&o=5

http://s231.photobucket.com/user/aptiva ... sort=4&o=4

The funnel cap and gussets at the base of the funnel will be done in another CAD program after the rest of the details are nailed down, and there are pics of them in the other thread. The large mushroom vent in between the forward uptake legs will also be done. Is there anything else underneath the uptakes on the main deck level? My Floating Drydock plans really don't show anything.

Thank you for any pointers.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:35 am 

Here's the whistle platform with the large whistle installed. Thoughts? It seems that there were many little variations of the actual piping (this is getting to be a theme) so I just made a more or less generic piping arrangement and whistle. How does the whistle itself look? Is it reasonably accurate or acceptable given that there are some limitations to what can be printed?

Thanks,

Bob

PS. Please ignore the odd structures in the image. They're reference pieces which will be deleted in time.

Attachments:
Simsfunnel mod 2 4 with triangles.jpg
Simsfunnel mod 2 4 with triangles.jpg [ 29.58 KiB | Viewed 2601 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next