The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:59 pm 

Will this conversion package be available for purchase?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:52 pm 

At some point, yes. The basic Sims conversion is about 80% done, and now I'm redoing the after deckhouse for the Hughes. I'm hoping for 2-3 months.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 pm 

Okay, question time. The funnel is mostly done, just a few file conversion to printing issues that are driving me nuts. The various programs I use don't talk to each other very fluently, and that's caused some problems. Anyway, it may not be possible to 3D print the whistles. Most of the piping and some of the funnel cap innards, yes. However, the really fine little details apparently not with the technology of the day. The whistle platform and most o the piping would be there, albeit somewhat simplified to get printable, would be there, but the builder would be on their own in terms of coming up his own whistles. My question is, would that be a deal breaker?

Also, Shapeways is busting my back on the price. They're quoting about $30 for the funnel in Frosted Extreme detail for the funnel alone. I'll try to shell (hollow) out the funnel more and reduce the cost, but there may not be much that can be done at this point. The midships deckhouse quotes at about $13-14 (I'm trying to shell it more to educe print material and volume, and hence price). The after deckhouse still has a few more details to add, but it will be more expensive than the midships one because its bigger. Anyway, I just wanted to keep folks in the loop. I would have moved quicker on things but my rehab from surgery and disability has taken precedence. Hey, I can drive now!

Let me know what you think.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:38 am 

Hi Bob

I still plan to buy a couple of sets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:12 pm 

I have no idea of how Shapeways works, but do they have discounts for multiple orders at the same time? And/or for a "package" of items ordered at the same time. It is looking like a total package for a SIMS conversion would be about $75-100 for Stack, Midships Deckhouse, and Aft Deckhouse. That would seem kind of steep. The stack is the really complex shape and an item some modelers would have a hard time "scratch-building". I personally would have highest interest in the stack.

I wouldn't be too concerned with trying to get too fine of detail (aka the whistle) even at 1/350 scale it isn't going to be very big. PE add-ons for some items may be a better way to go anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:25 pm 

My plan would be to offer the parts individually so if someone wanted to buy the funnel only and then do the deckhouses on their own and cut costs that way, they could. Shapways doesn't offer volume discounts, unfortunately. The designer uploads their design, then the buyer orders it. Shapeways prints it on demand and mails it out to the buyer. Unless they're running a special bargain or coupon deal, its a flat rate per part.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bob, just a suggestion. Print one at Shapeways and work with one of our sponsors to make resin copies for sale. I have a lot of Shapeways stuff and and am less that impressed with the final parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm 

Test articles printed and drying. Photos on the Virtual Ship Modeling thread.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:42 pm 
I, too, would be interested in a couple of sets. Any updates to offer?

I also would think resin sets with PE detail would be an easier, cheaper way to progress this. Your work is extremely nice, by the way.

Rick T.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:57 am 

Many thanks,

I posted an update on the Virtual Ship Modeling area of the forums with a few pics. Since it was more of a CAD issue than a ship research one, I didn't want to clog up the Calling All Sims Fans thread.

The funnel and midships deckhouse are ready to go. I've been trying to get the Hughes-specific after deckhouse done but the real world - work - keeps getting in the way. Some folks won't need that, and will just modify the Dragon kit parts, so... If folks want me to just turn on the funnel and midships deckhouse for ordering, let me know. Otherwise, I was planning on waiting until I had all three main parts ready. Take a look at the pics on the other thread, let me know if there are areas of potential concern, and then whether or not I should turn on the two parts for ordering.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:41 pm 

Okay open for ordering:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bobsstar ... Parts+&s=0

The little side uptake package and the after deckhouses are coming, I promise!

Thanks for looking and for everyone's help and support.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:37 am 
Ordered a set to start with. Thanks for your work. I am not nearly that digitally talented. Looking forward to the aft deckhouse.
I'll be working on a DD 411 USS Anderson at Midway. I think I'll use the Livermore kit as a donor as it will provide the weapons and the aft deckhouse is workable.

Rick T

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:11 pm 

Thanks, and I hope you like them. I'm always terrified when I offer something up for sale that I'm going to disappoint.

Anderson is a great choice. Talk about an underrated ship, along with Hughes and Russell.

Bob

PS. Here's what she looks like today, sadly... Much of the wreck is still identifiable, although she appears to be in several pieces and lying on her side; the bow appears to have broken off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL5kkH7OxiY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am 
I think DD 411 USS Anderson is interesting, and I wanted do a Midway era Sims to start with. Anderson has camouflage similar to Mustin, which is something I wanted as well. The bad part of modeling Anderson is the lack of Midway period, published photos of her, especially showing her aft deckhouse. I can't quite decide if she had the oval shaped tub at the forward edge of the aft deckhouse with the aft control station in the middle of the deckhouse as found on DD 418 USS Roe, or if she had the circular type gun tubs on the forward corners of the aft deckhouse and the aft control station on the forward, center edge of the aft deckhouse as found on the Jan., 1942, photo of DD 417 UDD Morris. The one photo of Anderson at Midway is taken abeam and from such a distance as to not provide that detail.

Rick T

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:57 pm 

Does this help ...

USS ANDERSON (DD-411) was one of the four units modified at Charleston Navy Yard in December 1941-January 1942 with four 20-mm guns replacing the 50-cal MG. Among the first, or maybe the first, USN destroyers to get 20-mm guns. Besides ANDERSON, USS HAMMANN (DD-412), USS MUSTIN (DD-413), and USS MORRIS (DD-417) were the units modified at Charleston Navy Yard. Looking at photos of any of these units will show the basic layout of the aft deckhouse. ANDERSON didn't get two additional 20-mm guns added on the aft deckhouse until after Midway.

DD-409, 410, 414, 415, and 416 were modified at Norfolk Navy Yard to a different configuration, but still with four 20-mm guns. The units left in the Atlantic, DD-418, 419, and 420, were modified at different times (March-June 1942) after the above nine units at Charleston Navy Yard (DD-419) and Boston Navy Yard (DD-418 and 420) to a different configuration.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:50 pm 

You beat me to it! I was about to point out that photo from earlier in the thread.

What I can't tell about Anderson (and, what's stopped me from attempting an aft deckhouse of her) is whether those 20mm tubs at the front of her aft deckhouse are just that - circular tubs - or whether they're the longer form as found on Hughes and Sims from their December, 1941, refits.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:05 pm 
Thanks, Rick and Bob. That's actually the photo that I am using as my primary reference, but Bob's observation about whether the gun tubs on the forward edge of the deckhouse are circular or oblong is the problem I am having as well. The obvious structure in the middle of the deckhouse leads me to think Anderson may have had her aft con station located there like DD 418 Roe did. That blurry structure is about the length of the 5" gun tube away from the gun turret atop the deckhouse, just like the photo of Roe. Your info of the yard alterations would lead me to think the aft con station was on the forward edge of the deckhouse as found on the January photo of DD 417 Morris. The photo is at the wrong angle to clarify that one detail. A great photo, though, as it shows lots of the detail I need, plus when one thinks of the drama going on at the time of that photo, you have to stop and think.

Thanks again,

Rick T

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:22 pm 
In looking at the photo once again, and enlarging it, it appears that the back of the gun tub has a flat plate going across to the other side from the rear of the port side gun tub. That tends to reinforce my thought that the 20mm gun tub is the long, oval type that runs the width of the deckhouse, as opposed to the circular tubs that appear on DD 417 Morris.
The photo is pretty "busy" in that area, with the searchlight platform and all, so I could easily be mistaken.

Rick T

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:13 pm 

Remember that DD-411, 412, 413, and 417 were modified to the "Charleston Navy Yard" configuration. They all looked pretty much the same. The 20-mm "tubs" were (or at least started out) round. See the attached views of MORRIS at Charleston Navy Yard on 5 January 1942 and on 8 May 1942. In the same photo this image was cropped from, ALL FOUR of the above destroyers can be seen and they all appear to have the same type of 20-mm 'tubs'.

There is some confusion on my part for USS MUSTIN (DD-413). She operated separate from her "Charleston Navy Yard Modified" sisters for much of early 1942 and in a photo dated 14 June 1942 reportedly at Pearl (see third attached image), shows four 20-mm guns with exterior 'ribs' on the tubs and her after deckhouse 20-mm guns repositioned a little further aft. These look different in the limited views of her seen on 5 January 1942 (see fourth attached image). BUT, I found records that MUSTIN and O'BRIEN (DD-415) (a "Norfolk Navy Yard Modified" unit) had two additional 20-mm guns added, for a total of six, in an April 1942 yard period at Pearl Harbor. So either the photo is dated wrong, quite possible, or something else happened ... because I can't find another pair of 20-mm guns in the image.

Attachments:
zDD417AftDeckhouse-5Jan42.jpg
zDD417AftDeckhouse-5Jan42.jpg [ 189.89 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]
zDD417AftDeckhouse-8May42.jpg
zDD417AftDeckhouse-8May42.jpg [ 128.2 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]
zDD413AftDeckhouse-14Jun42.jpg
zDD413AftDeckhouse-14Jun42.jpg [ 189.05 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]
zDD413AftDeckhousex1-5Jan42.jpg
zDD413AftDeckhousex1-5Jan42.jpg [ 70.12 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:02 am 
Well, Rick, thank you for your efforts. I think I will now use the circular gun tubs for my conversion. I don't see how it could be otherwise, even though 413's differences gives me pause. My thoughts on the use of the oblong tub and centrally mounted aft control station would only add a second anomaly to a relatively small group. Not likely.

I really appreciate your resources and willingness to share your work. Those of us who follow this forum should have a Rick Davis Appreciation Day.

Best,
Rick T

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next