The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Sims
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:34 pm 

Well if you figure out the cost of another kit and add PE its really not too bad I agree though wish it was cheaper but i guess you get what you pay for good luck on you builds and have fun Gerry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:41 pm 

greeting from sunny califorina..... :cool_1: i'm building a 1/48th scale sims class destroyer. once i find out how to posts pics i'll start sharing pics on the build.....joe

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:44 pm 

Devin wrote:
Dick J wrote:
Another possibility for a Sims is to convert a Pit-Road Benson/Gleaves kit. The major external differences were in the superstructure, between the back of the bridge and the original #3 5" position.

I had no idea they were closely related. I always saw the single stack on the Sims opposed to the dual stacks on the Benson's and thought they were totally different. Interesting.

-Devin
the sims/benson/gleaves/livermoor shared the same hull how ever the machinery was different in theres classes.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:01 am 

Somewhat surprisingly, no one has mentioned the release of the reworked CW kit under the Midship Models banner:

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:30 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Somewhat surprisingly, no one has mentioned the release of the reworked CW kit under the Midship Models banner:

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

IMHO, the Niko kit is worth the extra money. All Midship did was add PE and the kit itself is still somewhat crude.

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:11 pm 
Cadman wrote:
If you need a Sims in 700 scale. There is also the IHP kits. They are a bit large for the scale, but pretty nice overall.

USS Sims DD-409 Early war (1940-42)

USS Walke DD-413 Mid war (1942-43)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:40 am 
Does anyone know the arrangement of the roof of the aft deck house of the USS WALKE DD416 .What does the 36" searchlight platform look like? Also the aft steering station, and etc. I will be starting a thread on a 1/96 build very soon. I'm gathering info now. Thanks to all

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:37 am 

Got a message from Fred Branyan asking about rigging diagrams for this class:

Fred Branyan wrote:
I am looking for overhead diagrams on how to rig a Sims class destroyer. I have a bunch of download photos, most of them too far to show good detail, and
the Squadron book 3 on destroyers, best I can find anywhere is the side diagram in the book and also the photos on p 4 of the Benson Gleaves thread. If you could please post this request for a source for reference material on this subject <snip> I would be grateful. By the way I am building a 1/350 model of a 1942 Mustin DD413 that is pretty much finished except for rigging, rails and ladders.

Thanks.

Fred Branyan

If anyone knows, please respond here.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:24 pm 

I know I'm off topic, but does anyone besides me want plastic replacements for all of those aging resin DDs? specifically the Midship Sims, Farragut, and Ward?

Planned builds:
3 more 1/700 AH submarines

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 pm 

:big_grin:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 am 

1/144 scale would be good.

Post subject: U.S.S. Sims in 1/350th
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:46 pm 

Just thinking out loud here, but has anyone attempted to take one of the Dragon Benson/Gleaves kits and convert it to a Sims class? I'm curious as to how much of the Dragon kit could be used, and how much would have to be built from scratch. I seem to recall that the hull and the forward superstructure for both classes are mostly identical, but the single stack and the after superstructure would need to be fabricated (or perhaps cut down/modified from the existing kit parts).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:14 pm 

Devin,

So far in plans to do this, I have found that if you start with the Livermore kit you can get a pretty decent Sims as long as you do exactly what you said in addition to building the small center deckhouse where the Torpedo mounts were but you can make that out of the kit deckhouse just cut and modified. I haven't gotten down to exact measurements but the Gleaves were essentially follow up Sims with different engine/boiler setup which necessitated the 2 stacks. The next thing I was going to look into was if you could use the aft structure just modified or have to scratchbuild a new one. All in all, a very doable project and good one for someone wanting to hone their scratchbuilding skills. Somewhere I have all the details, let me see if I can dig them out and it lists the major differences between the 2 classes and changes necessary.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 pm 

That would be excellent, thanks. While I have no doubt I could scratch the after deckhouse from styrene, I probably wouldn't be able to replicate the fine detail on the rest of the model. So, being able to utilize the existing after superstructure as a basis for that would be the best route. Looking forward to whatever you've found. -Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:34 pm 

The structure under the guns, fore and aft, would be unchanged between the classes. It is the segment with the stacks and TT that is different. The Sims' trunked stack fills much of that void and goes all the way down to the maindeck. The kit deckhouse walls for that segment can be recut (there should be more than enough) retaining a fair amount of detail, and it would be mostly the deck that would cause problems. (Evergreen should do it.) Even the quad TT are included in the kit. The funnel and the vents are the main issues.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:15 am 

Hint to Dragon, then, if it hasn't already occurred.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:35 am 

Dan K wrote:
Hint to Dragon, then, if it hasn't already occurred.

That's why I haven't started this yet, I know as soon as I am almost done they will announce they are releasing a kit of this class.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

taskforce48 wrote:
That's why I haven't started this yet, I know as soon as I am almost done they will announce they are releasing a kit of this class.

Let me know when you are finished.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:24 pm 
Tim, that is not even right!! I have contemplated the very same issue and watched to see if one the chosen few posted some cryptic clue. Now I have to figure out if I have created a false but still self-fullfilling prophecey or if there is indeed hope and you are just merely hinting at a nice surprise. Or you are just being mean!??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:45 pm 

Hey ... if it would speed up the release of a SIMS class destroyer in plastic ... I'm more than willing to see Matt scratch-build one. :heh: :lol_3:

On the serious side, Matt, if you do work on a conversion, I would love to see how you do it ... I have images of the class if that would help you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next