The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:05 pm 
AJM Models
AJM Models

Hi. If anyone has any information about the painting Hms Acasta and HMS Ardent in 1940. Please help.
I'm also looking for a photo destroyers type A and B after upgrades for a period of war.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:38 pm 

I'm sure you have all the Raven stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:49 am 

Would love to find a good set of plans, with hull lines, for a B-class destroyer. I'd like to build HMS Bulldog (H91) in 1941, at the time of the Enigma machine capture. I want to build it in 1/72.

Any leads, suggestions, etc appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:55 am 

zeusbheld, while it's not exactly the same, I'm working on developing lines for the Canadian destroyers HMCS Saguenay and HMCS Skeena--they were built by Thornycroft from a modified Acasta-class design (it's a bit shorter with some other minor changes to superstructure). I'm using the Delftship software, so once I'm done (I can't promise when however) I can send you a copy of the working files if you'd like to modify them to A- or B-class lines if you like (the software has a free edition and is pretty easy to learn).

Cheers,

Sean

Current Project(s): 1/72 HMS WALNEY(Y 04)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:48 am 

zeusbheld wrote:
Would love to find a good set of plans, with hull lines, for a B-class destroyer. I'd like to build HMS Bulldog (H91) in 1941, at the time of the Enigma machine capture. I want to build it in 1/72.

The drawings HMS Bulldog are in "Okrety Wojenne" 2012.
OW spec 42 Brytijskie niszczyciele ot Amazon do Ithuriel part.I, II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:36 am 

Alexey Loginov wrote:
zeusbheld wrote:

The drawings HMS Bulldog are in "Okrety Wojenne" 2012.
OW spec 42 Brytijskie niszczyciele ot Amazon do Ithuriel part.I, II

Thanks Alexey, those books are great. (I've got them). Volume II has a photo of the Hesperus with her bow crushed in from when MacIntyre rammed a u-boat. Fantastic stuff, because a) another photo shows the other side of her in Western Approaches camo, and B) that's the period I have in mind for my Hesperus build (which will be my first destroyer, since there's an H-class hull available in 1/72).

Only problem, no hull lines.

I do need a plan with hull lines. Are there any Royal Navy sources that would have plan packets? as an American I know my navy's records are an awesome source of info for modellers...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:41 am 

whytewolf wrote:
zeusbheld, while it's not exactly the same, I'm working on developing lines for the Canadian destroyers HMCS Saguenay and HMCS Skeena--they were built by Thornycroft from a modified Acasta-class design (it's a bit shorter with some other minor changes to superstructure). I'm using the Delftship software, so once I'm done (I can't promise when however) I can send you a copy of the working files if you'd like to modify them to A- or B-class lines if you like (the software has a free edition and is pretty easy to learn).

Cheers,

Sean

Deffo interested, Sean.

I'm looking into that software. even with stuff where I've got paper plans, they've often in the wrong scale (my Battleship Potemkin plans are in 1/150, i'm diehard 1/72).

Deffo looking into the software. something ship-specific will probably be better than farting around in Illustrator or Corel Draw.

No hurry, btw. I *never* hurry. To me the point of all this is to make the best model I can (which admittedly may never be as awesome as I'd like) not meet a deadline. the Bulldog's years away. I'm weaning myself from kits and semi-kits... but slowly, slowly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:29 am 

zeusbheld wrote:

Only problem, no hull lines.

I do need a plan with hull lines. Are there any Royal Navy sources that would have plan packets? as an American I know my navy's records are an awesome source of info for modellers...

Five sections of "Brilliant" was published Edgar March's "British destroyer 1892-1953" page 262...263. (Stapel drawing).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 am 

Alexey Loginov wrote:

Five sections of "Brilliant" was published Edgar March's "British destroyer 1892-1953" page 262...263. (Stapel drawing).

Agreed, March will be your best available reference to date, as his approach was to trace, directly, the original plans--about as close as one can get to the real thing, short of a visit to the actual archival repository.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:00 pm 

thanks guys. will pick up march when i can afford to (it's fairly pricey on Abe and Amazon) meanwhile my first scratch build is looking more likely to be HMS Walker; i'd like to start with a prefab hull.

When i build the Bulldog I'll keep you all posted, and probably post my potemkin (and Walker) builds here. they'll be sloooooow. and RC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:54 pm 

Have you seen the drawings "Vendetta"? (type V; drawing 1917). But on their basis it is possible to make the model type W. The contours are the same.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 pm 

Delftship looks very interesting. Haven't really poked around in it yet but it looks to me like the free version is all a modeller would need. I'd definitely be interested in seeing your hull lines when you finish tweaking them.

Alexey, RNfanDan: Thanks for the book recommendation. March ain't cheap but it looks to be essential. I've got the Norman Friedman books that focus on the development of British destroyers. they're lean on drawings but i might be able to find another class with a closely related hull by reading the (very dry) text.

A friend of mine, ex Royal Navy, suggested I contact the shipyard and the Imperial War Museum.

Alexey Loginov wrote:
Have you seen the drawings "Vendetta"? (type V; drawing 1917). But on their basis it is possible to make the model type W. The contours are the same.

For V and W class, the late John Lambert did a couple of sets. I've got a lot of his Flower Class plans and some of his book stuff, he was the best. He did a set of HMS Whitley, focusing on her conversion to an AA destroyer (not quite what I'm looking for, but...) and also a set of HMS Whitehall circa 1924 (without hull lines).

If I opt to build the Walker, Southern Cross have a V/W hull, so hull lines aren't as important.

Bulldog's a few years away, and Hesperus may get ahead of her in the queue for my first scratchbuilt hull. Lambert did a beautiful set of plans of the Harvester, which like the Hesperus was originally intended for Brazil. a true sister ship. Fleetscale have an H Class hull but it's for the Hardy. Hardy was a lengthened flotilla leader, so I have my doubts of their claim that the hull builds any G or H class (at least with satisfactory accuracy).