The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:21 am 

From the Chinese destroyers of the Type 052C there are plastic kits in 1/350 by Trumpeter and in 1/700 by DreamModels and S-Model. I made the mistake to buy the DreamModels kit, because it contains parts for two models. Besides the Type 052C also a Type 052D. But the kit has major problems: nearly every edge is rounded!? This is especially problematic on the hull sides, which are curved in the kit. The clearly visible edge of the real ship is missing:

Type 052C/052D kit by DreamModel

More photos of the Chinese Type 052C destroyer Jinan in Copenhagen:
Jinan in Copenhagen
(click "Link zur Bildergalerie" to see the photos)

Is there an alternative Type 052D kit in 1/700? There is a 1/350 kit by Bronco Models.

The other option would be to combine the DreamModel parts with a Type 052C kit by S-Model, but that could be a major conversion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:28 pm 

Can you sand it to give it a crisper edge?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:44 am 

Sanding alone is not sufficient, because the edge itself is missing because of the rounded forms. The material at the edges has to be added and then everything has to be sanded, which is not easy, especially in case of the hull. The edge at the hull has this elegant curve. It is probably easier with the bridge structure, which has the same problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 am 

Ok, but if you remove material -by sanding or scrapping - the hull, bridge etc. would be significantly smaller than it shout be. There is material missing at the edges/corners. A combination of filler and scrapping could perhaps work.

The parts look like, if someone would have sanded away all the edges. I.e. if there would have been someone responsible with an phobia against corners.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:13 am 

G'day all,

I have a 1/700 Trumpeter Type 51C, so apologies if slightly in the wrong topic but I wouldlike to know what colour grey to paint the vertical surfaces. I don't think that it would be different betweenthe Type 51 and Type 52?

thanks,

Pappy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:31 pm 

Trumpeter, Flyhawk, and Dream Model all seem to agree that H61 IJN [aircraft] Gray from Gunze/Mr. Hobby is a decent match for the nearly-white gray that the PLAN uses.

More recently, there are specific colour sets that claim to match PLAN ships specifically, but they're mainly available in China or from Chinese sources like Taobao:

3G paint set: https://www.taobao.com/list/item/595149795755.htm

Steel Sky paint set (looks the same as 3G): https://www.taobao.com/list/item/550952807345.htm

Dream Model in collaboration with Victorian: https://www.taobao.com/list/item/561317583268.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:51 am 

Thanks Timmy,

I ended up opting for the GS H61, it seems like a good match after all.

My next question is about the hull. Most modern destroyers have some sort of sonar gear in the 'bulge' beneath the bow and this area does not get the typical anti-foul paint treatment. Would it be safe to assume that the Type 051C also has sonar gear and would anyone have any pictures?

cheers,

Pappy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:52 pm 

Jane's lists a DUBV-23 hull-mounted sonar for the Type 051C, so that's probably what's in the bow bulb (it's too low to be the type of bulb used for improving fuel consumption).

Based on photos of other Chinese warships, I don't think the sonar bulb is painted any differently from the rest of the hull - just red antifouling overall. They wouldn't be the only country to do so - the British Type 45, for example, also has overall red sonar domes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:22 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Jane's lists a DUBV-23 hull-mounted sonar for the Type 051C, so that's probably what's in the bow bulb (it's too low to be the type of bulb used for improving fuel consumption).

Based on photos of other Chinese warships, I don't think the sonar bulb is painted any differently from the rest of the hull - just red antifouling overall. They wouldn't be the only country to do so - the British Type 45, for example, also has overall red sonar domes.

Thanks very much Timmy!

cheers,

Pappy