The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:52 am 

Hi Guys,
Hi Catlauncher,
Having not yet finished the WEM kit myself, I've still a few trials before me. I can say that the kits' errors are a few too many. It's one of those cases when, "the further into this you look, the more you find that's not correct". That does not mean to say that the kit can't be done accurately, but the fact that DDG-22 was chosen as the named subject above any othe ships in this class, (of 5 late hull versions and the remaining earlier hulls), one might think that DDG-22 is the focus of the manufacturer. I have nothing but respect for WEM, as they've earned their stripes in the Hobby world and in the ship modeler's world particularly. That being said, I did offer, (at one time), to categorize and identify the kits' inaccuracies; should WEM ever entertain the thought of a re-tool or re-issue effort. I was sincerely thanked and told that there wereno future plans to correct/re-tool the kit. I do recall the website showing a needed 25 committed buyers before the kit was to be re-released. That was 5 years ago, and I don't know if they made another 25 kits or not. I got mine from a fellow in Australia on the, "second hand", market for $150. About that same time, ( about 4-5 years ago), ISW released their own DDG-6 kit. They had a monthly special sale on the DDG-6 kit at $129.95, so I had to buy one, and buy one I did. NOTE: Somewhere on this thread, I'm pretty sure there is an unbiased comparison between ISW and WEM's 350th DDG-2 class offerings.
The DDG-22 facebook group, (of which I am a member), has the most awesome selection of photos uploaded by the former crewmembers that is really special!
I'm not supposed to say this, but the CFA fans are in for a treat soon! That's all I can say for now.
Cat,
Did you attend the ships re-union when it was in San Diego? That was October 2010. I was a guest of Bill Halvorson, and the ships' reunion association president, (Ron Zorn), lives here in Santee; a mere 2 miles from me. There was a fellow named Mike Doolittle whom posted here a few times, but he has not been back since 2005. We all know how that goes.
Cat,
Good luck with the building of your, "old grey house"! If you need any help or suggestions with your build, feel free to ask. I have large file size images of my 350th WEM build progress, if you ever want to see them. On this w/s, you have to reduce the size of most images before posting; sometimes compromising the image quality or clarity.
Regarding Veteran Models:
L'Arsenal USA, (now for a shameless plug), has in stock all of the Veteran Models 350 Modern Warship accessories. They're not yet on the L'Arsenal USA website, but just contact me directly if you're interested. I get Veteran Models stuff from them directly, but so far I have only carried the 350th scale Modern accessories. Melvin of VM is a fair person, and accepted my offer to sell his products at the IPMS National Convention in 2011. We sold a fair amount of VM accessories and we plan to have his entire product line at this years' IPMS Nats in Orlando, FL.
L'Arsenal USA will not be the only vendor at the 2012 Nats planning to offer Veteran Models accessories. Brandon Lowe of Pac front / Freetime Hobbies will have them for sale too. Brandon and I will be selling the same items for the same price. Brandon is a good guy too!

DDG-22 is a cool subject and the former crewmembers have made me feel like one of their own; even though I never served in the Navy.
Cat, if you need help posting progress pics on the "PICTURE POST" > WIP, many of us here can help too.
Best wishes from SoCal, Tony Bunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:55 am 

Thanks, Tony, for the great reply.

To answer your question, no, I haven't been to any of the reunions yet. It's funny though, as the majority of my shipmates from weapons division (FCs and GMs) from 85-88 have been reconnected for some time now on Facebook and stay in regular touch. We toss around the idea of a WEPS reunion in Hawaii one of these days. It's kind of curious, as there is virtually no similar connection on my second ship, Worden CG-18. "The Sweat" was a great ship and I'm blessed to have served when I did.

I'm still very early in the game on this model and have no idea what I've gotten myself into. I'm in no rush though as my goal is accuracy. We'll see how confident I am as it progresses. :-) I'll be taking photos along the way.

Oh, and I did send you an email inquiring about the Veteran parts.

Best,
Erik

USS Benjamin Stoddert DDG-22
USS Worden CG-18
162d Fighter Wing
142d Fighter Wing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:15 am 

Tony Bunch said" I'm not supposed to say, but CFA fans have something to look forward to..."

Hey Tony, a 350 plastic CFA with a waterline option would be awewsome!!!

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:59 pm 

Hi Guys,
Joe,
I can't say more than I already have, but it was not to be unfair or cruel. Please understand this.
Something's coming soon, and when I have the green light to, "spill it", I will do so here.
Probably be in a couple of months from now.
I can say this. Anyone going to this years' IPMS Nats in Orlando, FL will be in for a real treat.
My 96 DDG is still a slow go, but I do run it at the local model yacht basin or at Santee Lakes 3-4 times each year.
My 350 WEM DDG-22 project has been shelved in favor of some priority builds for msome friends. Of course, now I did start a WIP thread on the 350 WEM DDG-22. Kind of sad, as I really wanted to finish the 350th DDG. I have spent so much time scratch-building very small detail parts, and pouring over mass quantities of DDG-22 pics from the 68-73 time period.
Best wishes from SoCal, Tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 am 

Thanks Tony. We'll keep our eye on the horizon.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:56 am 

Hello,

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has posted all of the great info on this topic. My father commanded the Waddell from '80 -'82 and building her for him has been a priority for some time. The closest I came was an almost completed conversion of Airfix's Rommel that was destroyed in a college move.

I had purchased the WEM Stoddert, but it was also destroyed in a move, so now I'm in the position of choosing between the ISW offering and WEM's. I prefer the ISW kit, except for the hull being incorrect. On the WEM kit the hull is mostly correct, but there's a lot that isn't. In the end, I'll probably pick up both and see what can be done.

In the meantime I'm working on my father's second command: the Biddle. I'm using ISW's Horne and it's a lot of work so I have plenty of time to decide.

Again, thank you for all of the good info.

Scott Allen
Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:19 pm 

I am designing a 1/96 scale superstructure kit for the Adams class destroyers. I finished my CAD solid model and needed some help with getting it as accurate as possible. Some of the class did not have the house under the tack in the rear superstructure. Also the ledge as shown looks too narrow to me even though I used the dimensions from the plans I have. There is also an indent shown on the plans in the rear corner. Any help with these features and pictures of the real thing of these areas will be greatly appreciated.

here is the model:

Thanks.

Charles Huet
www.cnc-models.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:46 pm 

Hi Guys,
Hi Charles,
I'll get with you this weekend. Also, do you have an ftp?
Let me know, and I'll get you the info you need.
Funny thing; there won't be just one s/s type that will be accurate for all DDG's without some changes being needed. I can help you there too.
Gotta go...I'm at work..
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:57 am 
Thanks Tony

I don't have an ftp but I'll figure something out to transfer your files. Hope all is well.

Charles Huet

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:11 pm 

Does anyone know what destroyer squadron DDG-13 USS Hoel was in during the 1985 - 1986 time frame? I'm trying to figure out what squadron emblem she carried at the time.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/05011314.jpg
This is the Hoel in May 1986. The squadron emblem can be seen on the side of the forward superstructure. It's too small and out of focus in this image to figure out what it is though.

Thanks!
Erik

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:28 pm 

Hi Guys,
Erik W,
I have a buddy whom served on Hoel, but I don't know exactly when. He said he served under Capt. Rogers, (of Vincennes infame), either before or after serving on Hoel. I remember when Capt. Rogers wife's Toyota minivan had a bomb threat scare in the mid 80's. This is when I worked and lived in University City; the same small Upper-Middle class community as his family directly west of NAS Miramar in San Diego. I actually befriended Capt. Rogers, as he and I got our pilot's licenses around the same time at the same local airport. I digress; sorry.
Erik,
I'll get with my friend to see if he remembers anything of use to you.

FIRST RELEASE NEWS!!
L'Arsenal will be releasing its' own brand new, state of the art multi-media kit of DDG-22, USS Benjamin Stoddert. The reason we chose DDG-22 was simply due to the fact that I was able to provide the greatest amount of techinichal information; in order to be absolutely certain of an accurate kit.
1/350 scale USS Benjaimin Stoddert is to be available at IPMS National Convention in August.
More to come!
Tony

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:18 pm 

Tony,

Thanks! That would be great if you get some kind of confirmation on the destroyer squadron. I have a vague hunch it's Desron 23. That photo shows a circular white emblem with a dark patch running vertically in the middle, which fits the bill for the Desron 23 emblem. But it's a total guess.

Interesting news on the new L'Arsenal DDG-22!! Hmmm. I've wanted to model a DDG-24 Waddell too. So, a good DDG-22 would be a great starting point, especially if it's better than the WEM offering. Any chance L'Arsenal will be selling some of the fittings and weapons seperately (for those of us using the non-bow mounted sonar CF Adams from ISW for earlier versions)?

Erik

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:43 pm 

Tony Bunch wrote:
Hi Guys,

FIRST RELEASE NEWS!!
L'Arsenal will be releasing its' own brand new, state of the art multi-media kit of DDG-22, USS Benjamin Stoddert. The reason we chose DDG-22 was simply due to the fact that I was able to provide the greatest amount of techinichal information; in order to be absolutely certain of an accurate kit.
1/350 scale USS Benjaimin Stoddert is to be available at IPMS National Convention in August.
More to come!
Tony

Ok, I just wet my pants :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Thanks Tony and L'Arsenal!!! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:40 pm 

@Erik

Hoel was in Desron 7. My father commanded Waddell in the same Desron at the time.

Update: I asked, and it was '80 - '82. In late '82 Desron 7 changed it's flash from just the a blue shield with a yellow 7 to the shield in a white circle...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:34 pm 

s4usea wrote:
@Erik

Hoel was in Desron 7. My father commanded Waddell in the same Desron at the time.

Update: I asked, and it was '80 - '82. In late '82 Desron 7 changed it's flash from just the a blue shield with a yellow 7 to the shield in a white circle...

Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. This photo shows the old full blue shield with the yellow 7 on it.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/pix2/05011341.jpg

The photo I posted above, dated 1986 (if that's correct) must show the newer shield in the white circle.

Erik

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:55 pm 

Hi Guys,
I'm in a hurry as I must be in Kearny Mesa in 15 mins, but I wanted you folks to see the final, (or nearly so), CAD screen captures showing the Future 1/350 L'Arsenal DDG-22 kit.

I'm trying to work something out with Ernie Gee at G-Factor models to make brass copies of the kit propellers; maybe a small number made especially for the IPMS 2012 National Convention.
Hear that Ernie? No pressure, eh?
Coming soon to L'Arsenal and L'Arsenal USA!
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:56 am 

Tony Bunch wrote:
Hi Guys,
I'm in a hurry as I must be in Kearny Mesa in 15 mins, but I wanted you folks to see the final, (or nearly so), CAD screen captures showing the Future 1/350 L'Arsenal DDG-22 kit.

I'm trying to work something out with Ernie Gee at G-Factor models to make brass copies of the kit propellers; maybe a small number made especially for the IPMS 2012 National Convention.
Hear that Ernie? No pressure, eh?
Coming soon to L'Arsenal and L'Arsenal USA!
Tony

@ Tony: Will you be taking pre-orders?

Thank you,

Scott

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 am 

will there be a Greek version included? Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes, please say yes.... :big_grin: :big_grin: :lol_3: :lol_3:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:43 am 

Tony

Will the kit be split at the waterline?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:24 pm 

Hey Tony,

To reiterate what I asked above, any chance L'Arsenal will be selling some of the fittings and weapons seperately (for those of us using the non-bow mounted sonar CF Adams from ISW for earlier versions)? It would be nice to have that famous L'Arsenal detail and quality in modern fittings.

Thanks,
Erik

P.S. - The CAD rendering looks great!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next