The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:38 pm 

Hi Guys,
Here we go!
I got the authorization to commence with another,
"Calling All xxxx Fans", topic.
One of my favorites......Adams Class DDG's!!!!! Let's talk cold war!
Let's talk Viet Nam era! Let's talk lovely lines!
I know I'm not the only fan of this class.
I was posting progress pics of my 1/700 DDG-14, (built from the Dragon 1/700 DDG-2 kit), on the USN DD thread, but that was a while ago.

Longer ago, I finished the Dragon 1/700 DDG-21 kit as a backdated DDG-22, (from the early 70's).
Here is, "Gun Run Tonkin Gulf", 1972.

Here are the pair of my Dragon 1/700 DDG's on the same work table; one is finished and the other is coming close. Taken about a year ago.

Here is, "Ridin' Shotgun for a Battleship", August 1983.
There will be better pics of this display sooner or later......I have since weathered and rigged the DDG-14, USS Buchanan.

I have to say that I have learned a lot from other fans of this class of ship. Thanks! You guys know who/m you are.
I am presently trying to get a hold of the WEM DDG-22 kits in 1/350 scale, but the trading post has not scared one up for me....yet.
I may put in a bid and get on the waiting list for WEM's next batch of 25. They're only at #7......!
I have heard that Commander Series/ISW may do one.....in 1/350? Unsubstantiated at this time. Right?

My 1/96 DDG is slowly progressing...can be seen on the scratch-thread here on mw.com.
Two years or so ago....December of 2004
This pic was taken within the last three months.....what some may refer to as a , "Marathon Build"....you know...one that takes forever!

Let's rock 'n roll Adams Class Fans!
Tony Bunch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:17 am 

Here's one! One of my future projects is the premium edition Dragon kit with all the optional parts for German ships etc :thumbs_up_1:

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Yo Ho!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:24 am 

Hi Guys,
Avery,
The Dragon kit is a decent kit. Believe it or not, I have to see the Premium Edition kit in person.
I did see, (IIRC), that the Premium ED. offers a p/e SPS-52 radar...not yet released by any other p/e makers.
Here is a SN kit review of teh Dragon Premium Edition Charles F Adams.
http://steelnavy.com/DMLAdamsPrem700.htm
I'll try to post some specific facts about these DDG's soon.
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:17 pm 

Hi All, I am working on the Dragon premium kit. it's proving to be challanging because I have never done 1/700 scale before. A good friend of mine served on the Sampson ddg10 in the mid to late 70's so I'm trying to make it for him.He tells me he has lots of pictures so if you need anything special let me know and I'll check with him on it. I hope to build a r/c version in 1/96 scale someday. Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:01 am 

For you guys working on the Dragon kit, be sure to test fit! Lots of seams on that kit.

Anyone needing photos of the USS Barney DDG-6 can check out the associations website here:

http://www.uss-barney-ddg6.org/

Specifically check out the Photo Gallery, Detail Series page. I took those detail shots with the specific goal of using them as model reference someday.

I've got the WEM 1/350th scale kit waiting in the wings, one of the Dragon kits that I started a year back but never finished (those darn seams!), and one or two of the old Airfix Rommel kits lying around here somewhere.

-Devin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:59 am 

Hi Guys,
Greg W,
Here are two pics of DDG-10 probably taken close to 20 years apart.....we are loking for differences...modeler's details.

This is Sampson .... say late 60's - 70's, (a studier's educated guess)....

Here is Sampson; photo taken 1988-89.....

Differences to look for in no particular order, but not limited to......
1) mast/yard arrangement
2) aft funnel
3) loctaion of whip type antennae
4) "bug-eyes" on the 5" mounts...one or two?
5) type and location of the life rafts...cannister or basket type?
6) 3d air search radar type..?
7) other air search radar type..?
8) twin arm or single arm missile launcher..?
9) Flag bag locations..?
10)Unrep gear..particularly aft...later "kingpost type", or standing up lattice type"....?
11) ASROC locker on the starboard side, (02 stbd side aft of bridge deck house..with three big round covers..?
12) vertrep platform overhang or not..?
13) vertrep markings, (both 01 level and fantail)...?
all I can think of right now...
14) domes on mast platforms for ECM....?
15) SatCom antennae: a) Flat/square/4 "nipples", or b) Round cylindrical, "trach can", type...?
16) 01 level platform, (starboard side), extension over-hanging main deck and related hoist....?

Late ships in the class, (DDG's 20-24), had a slighly longer hull and a little more sheer.
These ships had the bow mounted sonar dome and had the "hawse-bib" located on the ships bow and no port side anchor at all.

Some differences to look at when trying to decide the ships, "time configuration".
"Good luck, We're all counting on you..!"
Tony

Last edited by Tony Bunch on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:28 pm 

Hi Guys,
Here are some old shots of the Dragon 1/700 DDG in sub-assemblies; mostly painted. This is to help anyone interested in finding a procedure suggestion.

......and the 5"54 Mk42 gun mounts.....with Steve Nuttal Brass Barrels.
I miss you, Steve.....and thanks.
Hi Devin.
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:52 am 

I am proud to say I served onboard two DDG’s.

USS Benjamin “Benny Sweat” Stoddard DDG-22 and USS Towers DDG-9! If some one put out a 1/350 scale I’ll build one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:17 pm 

robbiee19 wrote:

USS Benjamin “Benny Sweat” Stoddard DDG-22 and USS Towers DDG-9! If some one put out a 1/350 scale I’ll build one.

Were you aboard TOWERS when she did the Great Sagami Bay Gunshoot?

Last edited by Gone Asiatic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:54 pm 

One of my favourite classes also! :smallsmile: I have a few pics of the Brisbane from when she visited Adelaide years ago, also quite a few of the Hobart when she was tied up awaiting disposal here, the latter showing her in a sorry state. I'll have to scan them and see if I can post them here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:17 pm 

abramsteve wrote:
I have a few pics of the Brisbane from when she visited Adelaide years ago

I was lucky enough to be at sea the day Brisbane did her last day cruise. I think she was paid off about 11 days later.

She certainly was a sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:39 pm 

Hi Guys,
Here are two pics of the aft funnel for comparison....
Here is the aft funnel from DDG-22 taken some time in 1972. Notice the yards and wire rigging. More details from the "earlier" ships. Picture taken by SailorBill.

Here is the aft funnel of DDG-6 taken a few years ago by Devin....
From the different angles of the SPS-52 3d A/S radar, I can not determine if the IFF antennae are the same or different. Still learning...
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:53 am 

Gone Asiatic wrote:
robbiee19 wrote:

We`re you aboard TOWERS when she did the Great Sagami Bay Gunshoot?
Yes I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:27 pm 

Thanks for the pics Tony. Some of the differences you mentioned I would not have noticed. I'm more of a ww2 person myself. Greg W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:26 am 

Tony Bunch wrote:
Hi Guys,
Here are two pics of the aft funnel for comparison....
Here is the aft funnel from DDG-22 taken some time in 1972. Notice the yards and wire rigging. More details from the "earlier" ships. Picture taken by SailorBill.

Here is the aft funnel of DDG-6 taken a few years ago by Devin....
From the different angles of the SPS-52 3d A/S radar, I can not determine if the IFF antennae are the same or different. Still learning...
Tony
What you are looking at are two different radars. The first one is a SPS-39 with a very old IFF bar on top. The second picture is of a SPS-52C with an updated IFF antenna. I served onboard her from 1977-1979 and used that SPS-39. The Benny got a whole complete CIC upgrade in the mid to late 80s. In 1991 I was on the USS Chosen CG 65 and I worked with the old Benny because both ships where home ported in Pearl. I got to go aboard many times to see my old ships new CIC. Hope that explains differences for you.

Post subject: a little help here..
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:34 pm 

Hi Guys,
Robbie19,
Which 3d air search radar is on Benjamin Stoddert in this picture?
Also, is that an SPS-40 on the foretopmast?
Caption from Navsource said, "pre-1968".

Speaking of a/s radars, what is this type on Charles F Adams?
Caption from Navsource said, "Taken while she was in Charleston, SC. The date was April, 1976"
Thanks, Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:37 am 
Hi Tony,
the foretopmast radar on DDG 22 is SPS 40 and the radar on the stack is
SPS 39.
The radars on DDG 2 are SPS 28 on the foretop and SPS 52 with IFF on the stack. I`v got the informations out of a very interesting book for US Navy fans. Its named Kampfsysteme der US Navy and from Koehler. Its written in German but all radars an weapons are pictured. It`s a very good book (isbn3-7822-0806-4).

Dirk :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:56 am 

Dirk Mennigke wrote:
Hi Tony,
the foretopmast radar on DDG 22 is SPS 40 and the radar on the stack is
SPS 39.
The radars on DDG 2 are SPS 28 on the foretop and SPS 52 with IFF on the stack. I`v got the informations out of a very interesting book for US Navy fans. Its named Kampfsysteme der US Navy and from Koehler. Its written in German but all radars an weapons are pictured. It`s a very good book (isbn3-7822-0806-4).

Dirk :wave_1:
Dirk,

On DDG2 yes it is a SPS 28 on the foretop, but the back is still a SPS 39 if that picture is dated 1976. SPS 52 didn't come around until the late 70s early 80s. SPS 52 went to Adams class ships that got the NTDS JEEPS CIC upgrades. That include replacing the SPS 28 with SPS 40. Please believe me. I lived this for over 25 yrs in the US Navy and I worked with those ships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:28 am 

Hi Guys,
Dirk and Robbie,
FWIW, I have seen discrepencies with FACTS on navsource, so the date for DDG-2's caption may be incorrect.
As a modeler, I've been troubled with finding radars for my 1/96 DDG project; like....you're :censored_2: out of luck fella!
I've been in touch with Tom from Tom's modelworks with regard to 1/96 radars. He offers an SPS-10, but nothing else for the Adams DDG's. Mike Potter from San Diego is working on enlarging a currently available p/e SPS-40 to 1/96 scale. Unfortunatley, just enlarging a smaller scale p/e radar is not the best way to go about this.........but...it is a way. The SPS-40 framework looks a bit on the, "chunky", side, so more work will be considered. Additionally, the SPS-40 1/96 frame will be filled in with ultra-fine brass mesh screen. That's the idea. Mike's attitude and interest towards modeling will probably show a darn nice finished SPS-40, and I'll be proud to have it on my 1/96 DDG. He is careful, thorough and very capable...not to mention unselfish.
The SPS-40 also used on Knox Class FF's has been discussed on the Knox Fans thread. Francisco posted a very nice SPS-40 pic on the Knox thread.
Tom from TMW recommended I make the SPS-52 from a solid/textured material and that p/e probably would not be necessary, because of this radar types' solid appearence.
I think he's correct. Thanks for your time, Tom. He has written several e-mails to me recently, each containing more info than the previous message. Tom is a modeler's friend! Thanks again Tom!
Radars are just one of many, "unknown zones", I'll breech while on my 1/96 DDG quest. The 1/96 model projects require a modeler to learn how to scratch build, read scale drawings, transfer data, consider material types, bonding agents and interpret photos. These are things I took for granted before, and I'm not good at.
I love the DDG's and I wanted to build a BIG one!
Have a Good Day!
Tony

Last edited by Tony Bunch on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:55 pm 
Hi guys,
very interesting thread. There are many difficult meanings about the radar equipment.
Robbie, when you say its SPS 39 you must be right cause you served on the ship. On the other side, the radar on DDG 22 picture (SPS 39 I hope its right) is much more curved than the radar on DDG 2. Is it possible that the Navy used the new SPS 52 radar antenna with the older electronic of the SPS 39? Or, are the informations in my book wrong? Please excuse for my poor english :oops:
Dirk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next