The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:55 am 

Graham Boak wrote:
Looks like a Carley float in the enclosure underneath, with a rather heavy fitting. The box above will include the chart table, if that's what it is (seems likely).
I agree, certainly looks like a 'float' IMO, but more like a circular 'life ring' than a 'Carley' no? Although what an odd place if so. Below shows her with life ring on Bridge wing.

Attachments:
Encounter-life-ring.jpg
Encounter-life-ring.jpg [ 105.6 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:28 pm 

'Tis a life buoy, known to some as a life ring: one can take one's pick. It can have no other function other than a decorative one in that position especially if she did not have a ship's badge at that stage of her career. The white ones on what I take to be wings of the flag/signal deck may well have been more functional as an aid to life saving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21