The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:32 pm 
Letters from Agar, not books or film. You have not sent me any film interview.

Laurence Batchelor wrote:
There was an interview with Dorsetshire's First Officer on that video I sent you if memory serves.

Was this the book you mean about Cornwall? it was published in 1984:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/FrameBase?content=%2Fservlet%2FListingDetails%3Fshowpic=1%26%26showpicurl=http://pictures.abebooks.com/GASPER/1083226755.jpg

Or this one from Agar himself published in 1961, which has a chapter on his time on Dorsetshire:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/FrameBase?content=%2Fservlet%2FListingDetails%3Fshowpic=1%26%26showpicurl=http://pictures.abebooks.com/CAPRICORN/688271144.jpg

I have copies of both. I assume you read something which raised suspicions and then wrote to him?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:00 pm 

I sent you a video on the attack on Ceylon filmed in the early 1990s.
On it is interviews with many serving personnel including the First Officer I think or may have been Torpedo Officer of Dorsetshire.
I think you could not play it as you don't have a European PAL compatible VCR player, although over here my VCR play's both American and European formats video tapes.

Any chance of getting it posted back please along with my plans?

I have found something on what you mentioned after a brief scan on the shelves.
Quote:
In the second book written by Agar published 1961
p173:

"But time was running on. It was now past the middle of March and over one month since the Surrender of Singapore. Our ships had dry-docked and consequently, with a clean bottom, could do our full thirty knots in practice, but we were also sadly in need of a short refit to our engines and boilers, plus the fitting of our A.A. guns and new radar set. This could be carried out only in Colombo, so, in spite of the congestion of shipping in the harbour, we had to go there for a two-weeks' short refit before forming part of Admiral Somerville's Eastern Fleet, leaving Richard Onslow as Senior Naval Office of "Trinco"

p.175:
Working day and night, our engineers in Dorsetshire started to dismantle and refit our engines and boilers. The ship had been steaming almost continuously for eight months since leaving our last dockyard port in England. The boilers particularly needed a good scrape. We received what assistance we could get from the workshops on shore, but this amounted to little, as Colombo was normally a commercial port of transit and could carry out repairs only of a minor kind.
I dared not risk doing too much, or dismantling machinery which could not be put back at twenty- four hours' notice, for fear of the expected air attack. The engineering staff were all working below like beavers, and only those who have worked in the tropics can appreciate the physical difficulties of handling pieces of metal in hot engine- and boiler-rooms. As for our aircraft carriers, it was impossible to make engine adjustments in the middle of the day under a burning tropical sun, except under awnings.
........Our Commander-in-Chief of the Fleet, Admiral Sommerville, called a conference of his Captains soon after his arrival on 26th March, when he unfolded his plans and made his intentions clear to us. As a result I cancelled our refit immediately and brought the ship to short notice. Boilers and engines had to be put together again.

p.177-179:
We sailed from Colombo in company with the Cornwall as soon as our engineers could reassemble their bits and pieces of machinery..................Nothing, however, came of this, and evidently Nagumo had turned back. The next two days we remained at sea doing more exercises and oiling the destroyers from our ships. We then received a signal from Somerville to proceed at once to Colombo to complete our short refit, and the Cornwall was also to go there and pick up a homeward bound convoy from Australia and refit at the Cape.
These orders were unexpected and to me rather puzzling. I knew the Admiral disliked having ships at sea which needed refitting. He was also anxious for us to be refitted with the additional anti-aircraft guns which by now were due at Colombo, as well as a modern radar set. We therefore left the Fleet. On arrival the next morning at Colombo the engineers started again to dismantle the machinery and clean the boilers, I reported at once to Admiral Arbuthnot at his Operational Headquarters, and was told that some of the light anti-aircraft guns we needed had arrived and would be mounted as soon as the fittings were ready, which would be within forty-eight hours. It was a Saturday, and the next day was Easter Sunday. In the meantime we were allowed a fortnight for the refit before rejoining the Fleet.
That Saturday afternoon another urgent message summoned me again to the Operations Room. Our Catalina aircraft had reported, and was shadowing, a large force of enemy carriers accompanied by Battleships and cruisers steering west from the Malacca Straits. It was Nagumo's force, and the attack on Colombo was obviously on. Somerville had reached Addu Atoll with both divisions of the Fleet [fast and slow]. He ordered Dorsetshire and Cornwall to rejoin with all despatch, leaving the selection of rendezvous to Operational Headquarters in Colombo.

p.180
....We managed to get clear our ships clear of Colombo Harbour by 10p.m., two hours before the C-in-C sailed from Addu Atoll in the Warspite with the fast division of the Fleet.

p.182.
Or radar screen was a small one of the very earliest type, which picked up objects only at short distances. It was, like our short-range A.A. weapons, due to be replaced during the refit by a more up-to-date set.

p.183.
A Jap plane flew down over the ship, firing his machine-guns indiscriminately in a triumphant burst into the men on the decks and in the water. I remember shaking my fist up at him as one of our crew returned fire with a machine-gun mounted on the searchlight platform. He was a brave Marine bugler.

It would appear, from what Captain Agar writes here, there may have been some spare weapons at Colombo in March 1942 after Dorsetshire cut short her intended refit as she was there only a day of her intended two-week refit for additional light A.A. guns and a new radar set.
Does this tie in with your letters ar or is this contradictory please?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:53 am 

Here you are - rescanned etc.

It seems to be one small thing either side of the mast....

Attachments:
express masthead detail b.jpg
express masthead detail b.jpg [ 127.56 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:25 am 
Will look for the film.
Drawings of the Exeter are almost finished, and everthing will be returned in about two weeks.
Your note about Agar; see my previous note.

To Mr Dick,
I see nothing of note, let's see the entire photo at a large size, and please give the date that goes with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:33 pm 

Ah well, maybe third time lucky.

Express's 286 aerial was mounted on the front her foremast - note the little mounting/junction box.
Attachment:
Express h  late Feb 1942 masthead detail.jpg
Express h late Feb 1942 masthead detail.jpg [ 20.43 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]

Express's 291 aerial was mounted on thr rear of her foremast on what looks like a cylindrical shaped box at a higher level than the original box on the front of the mast which seems to remain in place.
Attachment:
Express l Nov 1942 masthead detail.jpg
Express l Nov 1942 masthead detail.jpg [ 36.34 KiB | Viewed 1407 times ]

and from another angle
Attachment:
Express p January 1943 masthead detail.jpg
Express p January 1943 masthead detail.jpg [ 8.95 KiB | Viewed 963 times ]

In the masthead picture I posted earlier (no date given) I believe that you can see both these boxes, one higher than the other.

If so, then it must have been taken after the 286 had been removed and during or after the instalation of the 291 radar which was fitted during the Simonstown refit period (25 April - 26 Jun 1942).

If you agree that we are looking at a 291 mounting then the remainder of the picture tells us more about when the 20mm on the bridge wings (sic) were fitted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:15 pm 
The boxes are NOT boxes but frames the the fixed maneuvering lights. See second, and lower set positioned on the mast at the height of the rangefinder.
There is NO junction box for the 286. The frame was strapped to the mast with spacers.
There is NO junction box for the 290 or 291. What you see is the small housing at the base of the vertical that contains the gearing mechanism, allowing the aerial to rotate.
Try and make yourself familar with wartime equipment generally, this will then allow you to identify things that you see in poor photos.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:31 pm 

Thank you for educating me re some of my "boxes" being the fixed navigation lights on the front of the mast.

You agree then that the 291 had some form of "box" ("small housing at the base of the vertical that contains the gearing mechanism, allowing the aerial to rotate") underneath it on the rear of the mast.

I take it that you would agree that this would not be there if the 286 was fitted at the time of the photo?

Do you not see this "box/small housing" on the undated masthead photo ("I see nothing of note") that I am trying to date (in addition to the navigation light "box" slightly lower than it on the front of the mast)?

Last edited by dick on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:59 pm 
dick wrote:
Thank you for educating me re some of my "boxes" being the fixed navigation lights on the front of the mast.
NOT NAVIGATION LIGHTS. They are fixed MANEUVERING lights.

You agree then that the 291 had some form of "box" ("small housing at the base of the vertical that contains the gearing mechanism, allowing the aerial to rotate") underneath it on the rear of the mast.
NOT A BOX, but small housing.

I take it that you would agree that this would not be there if the 286 was fitted at the time of the photo?
286 DOES NOT HAVE ANY HOUSING, framework is strapped to mast! Aerial CANNOT ROTATE, therefore NO need for housing.

Do you not see this "box/small housing" on the undated masthead photo I am trying to date (in addition to the navigation light "box" slightly lower than it on the front of the mast)?

THIRD PHOTO,
In rising order:
Lower fore yard
crows nest
upper fore yard
upper set of frames for FIXED MANEUVERING LIGHTS
housing for training mechanisum for 290 or 291.

FIT NUMBER ONE:
One yard with 286

FIT NUMBER TWO:
Two yards with 290 or 291

THAT'S IT!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:11 pm 

Great. Can I then take you back to this undated picture.

I would suggest that a 291 gearing housing is visible on this.

Attachments:
express i 1942  masthead detail (2).jpg
express i 1942 masthead detail (2).jpg [ 127.56 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:17 pm 
dick wrote:
Great. Can I then take you back to this undated picture.

I would suggest that a 291 gearing housing is visible on this.

SHOW ME THE PICTURE IN FULL TO A LARGE SIZE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:37 pm 

Before doing that can you please say whether or not you see a 291 gearing housing on the undated photo in question.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:58 pm 
dick wrote:
Before doing that can you please say whether or not you see a 291 gearing housing on the undated photo in question.

No, I need to see the ship IN FULL at large size first.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:41 pm 

Why? Its a straightforward question. Seeing the rest of the picture should not influence whether or not you can see a 291 gearing housing at the top of the foremast in the crop I have posted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:54 pm 
dick wrote:
Why? Its a straightforward question. Seeing the rest of the picture should not influence whether or not you can see a 291 gearing housing at the top of the foremast in the crop I have posted.

Your choice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:11 am 

Thats a pity because I believe that the photo confirms something you originally suggested, ie that the 20mm on the bridge wings (sic) were not fitted until the Apr-Jun 42 Simonstown refit as there is no sign of them.

I believe that there is a 291 gearing housing visible and therefore suggest that this picture (Express L)

http://picasaweb.google.com/dickfalmout ... 7646643458

was taken, say, early-mid June 42, towards the end of the refit period but before the 20mm on the bridge wings (sic) were fitted.

The 20mm were fitted for her time with 12th Flotilla (white over red funnel bands) which began on or about 27th June 1942 as shown in this second photo (Express M).

http://picasaweb.google.com/dickfalmout ... 9600052018

(I've tried a different way of posting the pictures in the hope that you will see better detail. If you click the magnify icon it zooms in quite a way. Let me know if this method is does produce a better image for you.)

Last edited by dick on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:47 am 
Those are Lewis guns in covers each side of the searchlight? I think I need to reassess my approach to some of the previous photos, which I understood to be 2 pdrs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:43 am 

Dear ar,

Your trenchant posts of

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:15 pm.

“The boxes are NOT boxes but frames the the fixed maneuvering lights. See second, and lower set positioned on the mast at the height of the rangefinder.”

And 1.59pm

“NOT NAVIGATION LIGHTS. They are fixed MANEUVERING lights.”

left me puzzled. Every source I have consulted since agrees with my original suggestion that these are navigation lights and furthermore that the term maneuvering lights is an Americanism and a term that would have been unknown to the RN in WW2. Do you have any source that supports your assertion?

At the time of WWII, the 1910 version of the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisons at Sea (COLREGS) was still in force. The 1910 Regulations contained no mention of manoeuvering lights (and nor do the 1948 ones for that matter). Internationally recognised ships manoeuvering signals until 1965 were solely based on sound signals (ship’s whistle/fog-horn etc).

Light signals to indicate manoeuvers were first suggested by the Americans in 1948 to the International Safety of Life at Sea Conference. They proposed an amber light to flash in synchronism with the already established whistle signals (1 short blast to indicate an alteration of course to starboard, 2 short blasts to indicate an alteration of course to port, and three short blasts to indicate that the engines have been put astern.) based on light manoeuvering signals developed on US inland waterways. Their suggestion was not adopted.

In 1965 they presented a similar proposal, using a synchronised white light, and this was agreed and adopted in the 1965 version of the COLREGS. This was changed in 1976 to a flashing white light which follows, and which may be repeated, but which does not need to be synchronised with, a whistle signal.

But back to World War 2 - basic Royal Navy lighting and terminology is best summarized in this illustration from a contemporary handbook.

Attachment:
navigation lights 12 (2).jpg
navigation lights 12 (2).jpg [ 18.25 KiB | Viewed 903 times ]

From this, we can positively identify the lower light on the front face of Express’s mast, the one referred to by you as a maneuvering light “positioned on the mast at the height of the rangefinder” as a navigation light – in fact the steaming light which in practice consisted of two lanterns, one oil and one electric.

Higher up near the masthead, on the front face of the mast, is the other light, the one I at first thought was a box of some sort, and which you referred to also as a maneuvering light. COLREGS also made provision for special lights. Special lights (based on day marks – black symbols) were shown at night by vessels involved in activities such as fishing, minesweeping, towing, cable-laying or by those not under command etc. This light on Express is in fact a minesweeping light.

Secondly you suggest that when fitted with the 286 radar, Express had only one yardarm on her foremast. I would not rush to mutilate a model. On some ships the lower (signal) yardarm was more substantial and so more visible in certain lighting/background conditions than the upper (W/T) yardarm. This seems to be the case with Express. Even in one of my posted pictures of her with 291 radar, her upper yardarm is very difficult to see, but we know it is there as it is clear as a bell in others. In the picture you are commenting on when suggesting no upper yardarm, if you look closely you will see a pattern made by the bead-like insulators on the wires, and hints of rigging, from which the existence of a second higher yardarm can be deduced.

Sorry you were not able to be at Telford – I was looking forward to that drink with you!

Best wishes,

Dick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:13 pm 
Trenchant you say. I take that as a compliment
Maneuvering lights; taken from "as fitted" WT rig plans of WW11period as opposed to general arrangement "as fitted" plans.
General arrangement "as fitteds" (the ones that I have looked do not label these items, and in many instances where a tripod has been fitted, only the lower part of the mast legs are shown.

Express. I have two photos of this ship taken in October 1941, and they clearly show only ONE yard.
At this time, I have loaned these and other photos to Norman Friedman for research for his second destroyer volume. When they are returned I will try and have them electronically copied and posted on the other site.
You make a distinction between the upper and lower foreyards. The lower one for the halyards and the upper for the aerials.
Both were used for halyards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:33 am 

Dear ar,

Re lights terminology:

Yes, I agree with you that there is often less detailed labeling on the As Fitteds in the war years. Nevertheless I have seen General Arrangement As Fitteds of wartime destroyer builds where the lights have been labeled perfectly conventionally with no sign of “maneuvering” lights. What ship/date/shipyard is this WT rig you have seen of? Which lights in particular are labeled “maneuvering” lights? Can we see this WT rig please?

The attachment I posted came from a 1943 Admiralty handbook so the lights in question were certainly called navigation lights. Like I said, everyone I have spoken to says they were (and are) navigation lights

Re yardarms:

You are misinterpreting my words. I am well aware that Express’s upper yardarm had signal halyards – 4 as far as I can tell.

As I said, her upper yardarm was less substantial than the lower yardarm. The yard itself was little over half the length of the lower yardarm and roughly half its diameter. In some conditions it is very hard to see – even in silhouette views against the sky. But I think it was there in late 1941. In the port broadside view of her, the one of her in the overall grey taken on re-commissioning at Chatham, she is flying a flag hoist. The uppermost flag is clearly higher than the lower yardarm strongly suggesting an upper yardarm is present.

I look forward to seeing your photos in due course.

Best wishes,

Dick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:48 am 
dick wrote:
Dear ar,

Re lights terminology:

Yes, I agree with you that there is often less detailed labeling on the As Fitteds in the war years. Nevertheless I have seen General Arrangement As Fitteds of wartime destroyer builds where the lights have been labeled perfectly conventionally with no sign of “maneuvering” lights. What ship/date/shipyard is this WT rig you have seen of? Which lights in particular are labeled “maneuvering” lights? Can we see this WT rig please?

The attachment I posted came from a 1943 Admiralty handbook so the lights in question were certainly called navigation lights. Like I said, everyone I have spoken to says they were (and are) navigation lights

Re yardarms:

You are misinterpreting my words. I am well aware that Express’s upper yardarm had signal halyards – 4 as far as I can tell.

As I said, her upper yardarm was less substantial than the lower yardarm. The yard itself was little over half the length of the lower yardarm and roughly half its diameter. In some conditions it is very hard to see – even in silhouette views against the sky. But I think it was there in late 1941. In the port broadside view of her, the one of her in the overall grey taken on re-commissioning at Chatham, she is flying a flag hoist. The uppermost flag is clearly higher than the lower yardarm strongly suggesting an upper yardarm is present.

I look forward to seeing your photos in due course.

Best wishes,

Dick

If I still have any wartime "as fitted"' rig plans I will try and look at them in the near future.
If you feel that you are correct on the Express having an upper yard, then go with it.
When I have the photos returned from Friedman, I will take yet another look for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next