The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:26 am 

There's no rush

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:55 pm 

Report from the BEEB about HMS Hunter, a H classs destroyer lost 68 years ago during the Battle of Narvik.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7280215.stm

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:16 pm 

Thats wonderfull news, hopefully the family and relative's of those 110 brave men who did not come home, can finally find some peace and closure with this discovery, may they forever have fair sailing and the wind be at their back. Gentlemen, I think a moment of reflection would be appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:05 pm 

Location: as far south as you can get before you run out of planet
A moment of reflection is indeed relevant. As we build these replicas it can some times be that we forget just why the real thing was made in the first place. In the end a ship is the people who man her.

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:57 pm 

I reflected about it often. My Uncle was up there....
May something like this never happen again....

Attachments:
GT_1996_1.gif
GT_1996_1.gif [ 248.64 KiB | Viewed 2945 times ]
Z2_auf _Strand_40.gif
Z2_auf _Strand_40.gif [ 85.35 KiB | Viewed 2931 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:59 pm 

Hi ,

there are people who claim that a ship has a soul .

Dave said it very well , it's the people on board that makes the soul of a ship , not the ship itself ...

one of my former ship , the ship I really loved to be on and to work on , is gone to the scrapyard .

in her former glory , and some people who really loved her :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=K9XyL2KiT_8

I feel sad bout it , but that's life ...

I have all the plans at home , I'll build a model of her , once ...

Sorry for having hi-jacked this topic , but in this case , I can feel what people can feel about ships & crews , certainly when some relatives or parents still remain there below ...

Regards ,

Laurent

Just call me the "Cereals Box Killer" , I guess :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:14 pm 

Quote:
I reflected about it often. My Uncle was up there....
May something like this never happen again....

Just days before the first world war started, the Royal Navy and the German Imperial navy were side by side, (I believe it was in Kiel Harbour) When the Royal Navy was recalled home the German Fleet signalled to the British fleet "Friends Today, Friends Tommorow, Friends Forever". There was a time when the leaders of countries were foolish enough to make war, but the people of all those countries were better than those leaders because today, we are all friends and hopefully we will be Friends Tommorow, Friends Forever"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:03 am 

Alexander--that second photo is amazing-when was it taken...?

any more info?

Tschuess

JIM B :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:16 pm 

Dave Stone wrote:
A moment of reflection is indeed relevant. As we build these replicas it can some times be that we forget just why the real thing was made in the first place. In the end a ship is the people who man her.

agreed

. . .

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 am 

Jim,
Both of Molders photos are of the "Z-2 Georg Thiele" Wrecksite at Rombaksbotten near Narvik.
One taken in 1940 and the colour taken in 1996.

http://marinewerft.foren-city.de/topic, ... -2006.html

Here's an update on the HMS Hunter story -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7283100.stm

A survivor's memories of the event.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7283819.stm

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:40 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Alexander--that second photo is amazing-when was it taken...?

any more info?

Tschuess

JIM B :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

The wreck is still here and according to the side below, Z-2 actually damaged and sank a few ships, including HMS Hunter.

http://www.geocities.com/shipwrecks_magazine/narvik.htm

Best ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:04 pm 

@Jim
once i putted it into the Picture of the Weeks Section at http://www.marinewerft.de
http://www.marinewerft.de/Picture%20of%20the%20Week.htm
http://marinewerft.foren-city.de/topic, ... -2006.html

Well, the Story behind it is, that she took Part in Operation Weserübung. Then 10th of April 40 Warburton-Lee went in with his 2nd DD Flotilla. During this Battle several british and german DD was sunk (Hunter sunk, Hardy aground, Wilhelm Heidkamp, Anton Schmidt sunk)
During the second british Raid to Narvik (13th of April 40, 9 DDs, 1 BB (HMS Warspite)) Z 2 ran out of Ammo and was damaged by 7 seven Artillery Hits and caught Fire. Her last Torpedo hits HMS Eskimo and broke the Bow off. CPT decided to run her on the Rocks to save Crews Live and gave Order to abandon Ship. Crew was ordered to regroup at a Railway 300m above the grounding Spot. While moving up there, many Losses appear through continued Fire by the britsh DDs. 27 Men lost.

@all
I´ll visit my Parence about 17th March and digitalize the Album of my Uncle. Gonna share the Pics with you Guys. Maybe i´ll need some Help by some of you to identify the Destroyer he was sailing with.

Ragards

Alex

Post subject: HMS HYPERION
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:17 am 

Here's a photo captioned as HYPERION I've not seen before: http://www.britain-at-war-magazine.com/ ... -web10.jpg. The camouflage scheme is interesting. Anyone know if the starboard side was similar, or where/when the photo was taken?
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:32 pm 

Tim,

Old coal gantry affair in the background is very distinctive - that is Alexandria. That narrows down the date quite a bit if Hyperion...

(I am suspicious that the photo has been doctored to give a stationary ship a bow wave.)

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:34 pm 
dick wrote:
Tim,

Old coal gantry affair in the background is very distinctive - that is Alexandria. That narrows down the date quite a bit if Hyperion...

(I am suspicious that the photo has been doctored to give a stationary ship a bow wave.)

Cheers.

Nice photo.
I have a few photos of A -Is taken in 1940 showing false bow waves for what it is worth.
Also note the aft funnel has had the outer casing cut down by several feet, but NOT the uptake.
A few destroyers had this feature early in the war.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:06 am 

ar wrote:

I have a few photos of A -Is taken in 1940 showing false bow waves for what it is worth.

Yes, it could be a false bow wave painted onto the ship itself I suppose. Quality of photo makes it difficult to be sure?

The scheme itself is similar to Dorsetshire early 1940 in the first of your camo volumes.

Last edited by dick on Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:08 am 

Thanks for the comments:

ar - not sure about the after funnel. Looks to me like what is visible is the two steam pipes fore and aft which, as on most 2DF ships, have their tops level with the top of the uppermost of the two flotilla stripes.

Dick - she's under way (I think) - no jack at the jackstaff, ensign in the "sea" position) but doesn't seem to be going fast enough for a big bow-wave. That said, it doesn't look like one that's painted on.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:05 am 
tjstoneman wrote:
Thanks for the comments:

ar - not sure about the after funnel. Looks to me like what is visible is the two steam pipes fore and aft which, as on most 2DF ships, have their tops level with the top of the uppermost of the two flotilla stripes.

Dick - she's under way (I think) - no jack at the jackstaff, ensign in the "sea" position) but doesn't seem to be going fast enough for a big bow-wave. That said, it doesn't look like one that's painted on.

Tim

I looked again and agreed with you, again and changed my mind back. Now I am uncertain.
Do not have my material to hand, but did the 2nd flotilla have a large black band on the second funnel. Bear in mind that the ship as shown is acting as Leader, ie no pendant number and a large black band on the fore funnel.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:27 am 

ar - thanks - not sure about a large black band on the after funnel of any 2DF ships - never seen that anywhere. I'm not certain the after funnel has a black band above the flotilla bands - on my screen this area appears to vary in intensity on the after part of the funnel compared to the more forward part, and slightly lighter than the band on the forefunnel - which is itself darker than the top of the after one.

Purely as a guess, it looks to me as if the camouflage designer intended this scheme to represent a different (enemy?) ship, with funnels more steeply raked than the actual ship's, and, because she was acting as leader and displaying the appropriate band on the forefunnel, couldn't extend the light colour to the top of the after funnel. That said, such "disguise" schemes are pretty rare; the only RN ones I know of which could be loosely described as such are NORFOLK, DORSETSHIRE and LATONA (all of which appeared to have painted "ships" on their sides) plus WELSHMAN and MANXMAN for their famous runs into Malta or towards Genoa respectively.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:16 am 

tjstoneman wrote:

Tim

Tim,

I'm not sure that those flag formalities were followed that much during the war. I have many pictures showing ships at anchor and moored to buoys with no jack on jackstaff and White Ensign on the main.

However in every picture I have of ships entering or leaving Alex the crew are lining the rails and there is someone on the bridge. The quality of the Hyperion picture is poor, but I cannot make out anyone on deck.

Here is a picture of Hero that I am also a bit suspicious of:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dickfalmout ... 7923814146

There is something about the bow wave and water at the bow that seems false to me. And I cannot see an RN ship moving whilst still having the spar and rope ladder dangling from it (for swimmers) rigged to starboard.

Same flotilla, same sort of time, same place...coincidence?

Best wishes.

Afterthought: I also wonder if all those wind scoops fitted on her hull portholes to ventilate the mess decks forward and wardroom cabins aft might be relevant. I understand these were fitted from the inside through an open porthole. Would a man o’war in time of war have gone to sea with these fitted and all those portholes therefore open?