The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:55 pm 

This is a photo to show the huge difference to the basic ' Showcase Models ' V & W Class ' Destroyer Plastic Kit model makes when you add aftermarket items
like Shapeways Mine rail fairings and HMS WALKER Refit Bridge with Director Control and Post 1918 era Rangefinder ( kit has the basic - and smaller 1917 era rangefinder ) -
and the brass ' HMS Repulse ' Master Models 4 inch guns and Rainbow Brass depth charges - with extra detail supplied by the ' G, H and I Class Destroyers etch set '
by White Ensign Models - I also think that the basic Model kit is very accurate and detailed , and well worth the purchase ( get it while you can ) -
please note that in real life ,so that HMS Walker ( Length 312 feet or 95 metres ) is at the front and positioned stern to stern to
HMS Cossack ( Length 377 feet or 115 metres ) - if they were both placed in line ,
then the Bow of HMS Walker only comes up to the ' A ' Turret of HMS Cossack ( Turret on right side of photo , on the deck ) - so 20 metres of difference
so the beauty of 1 standard scale ( in 1/350 ) in Models is that it gives you an exact idea of the size difference !

Last edited by 73north on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:22 am 
Just tried to buy another one of these destroyer kits direct from Showcase in the hope that it would be cheaper to buy direct - but if you are in the UK don't bother, save your money.

My 1st copy came from BNA models and cost me about £40 by the time it reached the UK.
I see that a UK vendor now has the kit for £40+UPS postage on top too, which is about £15 more than I'd pay for a second copy.

Someone here suggested I deal direct with Showcase which I tried yesterday.
A few months ago, the kit could be had for around £27GPP by doing so.

Cost now -direct from Showcase to the UK inc p&p? £61 GBP! So no chance.

$55.40AU for shipping a tiny and very light box of plastic? Jeez!

I reckon £20-25 to be a fair price for a 1/350 destroyer kit, so I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:55 am 

Hello all,
I am continuing my 1/35 scale build of the HMAS Waterhen and wanted to ask the experts about this photograph. I am currently constructing the intakes behind the forward funnel. In this photo of the chook you can see what looks to me to be a heap of tarps stored on top of the intakes in the bottom right of the image with the two carley rafts behind them. Does anyone know anything about what was stored on the intakes like in this image. Did it have rafts stored on top of that with the tarps below - they were in the process of abandoning her.
And can anyone tell me the size of the two carley rafts stored behind. I am going to get them 3D printed and wanted to get the right ones.
Many thanks, Will

Attachments:
IMG_8751[1].JPG
IMG_8751[1].JPG [ 335.6 KiB | Viewed 4951 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:06 am 

This is your best bet for the Carley Rafts - :cool_2:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z8ENZ ... d=63997272
Micro Master ( very , very good Shapeways designer ) _ I recommend you choose the very BEST printing material you can choose
as it makes a big difference , when you come to make the model and paint it .
The size was standard for Destroyers , it only was made larger with Battleships and Cruisers
( Simon will know the size for you - and work out a 1/35 scale size from that , for you )

Now , as regards your question -
I can actually help you as I have HMS Walpole line drawings PDF's which were supplied by the NMM , Greenwich
on top of the intakes , which were ventilators - was stored 1 Carley raft , then later 2 Rafts ( as seen in the photo )
( 1 used to be mounted on a frame at an angle to the aft funnel ) -
if you have any further questions PM me and I will try to help

kind regards
David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm 

The photo shows 2 different sized carley floats, If you require accuracy, the only way is to do a foot size calculation, based on the image.
You will never know the exact size of the floats used.
The John Ashton report will pretty much explain everything about carleys, there were 11 different sizes.

Attachments:
carley float sizes.jpg
carley float sizes.jpg [ 102.06 KiB | Viewed 4906 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:25 pm 

In relation to a previous enquiry about secondary armament mounted in HMAS Waterhen`s bridgewings.
Since that posting, a fine image has come into my possession which clearly shows that at the time off her loss in 06.41, she was fitted with twin guns in the bridgewings.

The attachment shows the reduced image, and the cropped area in question, the guns appear to be twin Lewis fitted with radiator shrouds, a shield appears fitted.
These splinter shields may have been fixed, but would more likely have been part of the pedestal as shown in the IWM shot.
Hope this answers the question, which until now was never known for sure, Waterhen Wartime shots are rare.

Attachments:
Waterhen bridgewing guns 41.jpg
Waterhen bridgewing guns 41.jpg [ 68.42 KiB | Viewed 4674 times ]
twin lewis.jpg
twin lewis.jpg [ 69.09 KiB | Viewed 4674 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 pm 

those shields are bolted to the decks as you can see the bolt heads protruding thru the base plate. also a pedestal won't support a guy leaning back unless pedestal is bolted to the deck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:59 am 

I think you will find David, that the pedestal bases in the IWM image are bolted to the deck, but the gun pedestal assembly rotates on the C.P.
The guns including the shield rotate as one, including the gunner strapped to the assembly.
The IWM guns differ from this twin gun which is independent from the fixed plate shield, and is bolted on the deck in front of the guns.

Attachments:
fixed shield, twin lewis, no radiators.jpg
fixed shield, twin lewis, no radiators.jpg [ 74.43 KiB | Viewed 4644 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:52 am 

Hello all,
I was about to post the fact that the Waterhen had twin lewis guns on the bridge wing and Brett stole my thunder. I requested plans and photographs from the Naval Historical Society in Sydney and the lovely Therese says she has plans and 63 photographs of her during her service pre-war and WW2. I have eleven of them now and they already change what I thought of her layout. There are alot of photos of the crew but the detail of the ship behind is invaluable. Crisp and clear photos.
I don't think any of the funnels had an camo on them. I am having to scrap bits of already made superstructure and start again,
Cheers, Will

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:48 am 

In relation to the lewis shields, I have other images showing NO shields on them, I think they were the same as the single twin mounted on the stern - no shield,
cheers, Will

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm 

On further study, I agree Will.
Whilst serving in the Mediterranean, all 4 RAN V/W`s were fitted with twin Lewis on lightweight pedestals in the bridge gunwings.
No shields fitted, with the exception of Vampire which did have shields.
Other images of Vampire show that her twin Lewis initially had no shields, they were fitted later and were probably fixed to wing platform in front of the guns.

Attachments:
RAN VW`s 41.jpg
RAN VW`s 41.jpg [ 164.06 KiB | Viewed 4459 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:27 pm 

Brett:

May I ask where you found the photos for Voyager and Vendetta in the previous posting? They both look new to me, though it is hard to tell from the way they are cropped.

Please advise, as I'd love to see them in full--or better yet, would it be possible to post them here in full?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Mike E.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:37 pm 

Here you go Mike,
Voyager in Alexandria DD 41, NHSA hi-res cropped and reduced.
Vendetta, AWM shot. The original image is reversed and the location is incorrect, whilst wearing this scheme she was never in Napier.
Dated approx. mid 41 somewhere in Med.

Attachments:
VOYAGER, Alexandria DD, 41.jpg
VOYAGER, Alexandria DD, 41.jpg [ 154.45 KiB | Viewed 4404 times ]
VENDETTA, P00363.004.jpg
VENDETTA, P00363.004.jpg [ 120.83 KiB | Viewed 4404 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 am 

Great pictures Brett,
do you have any of the Waterhen. I put her name in the search engine and come up with the same photos but I just now did a search "stern of the HMAS Waterhen" and got this great photograph. Does anyone know what is sitting on top of the air intakes, is it a pontoon of some kind. The structure beneath it is canvas sided with tarps inside - you can see it in one of the photos taken onboard as she is sinking but the pontoon like thing is not there,
cheers, Will

Attachments:
IMG_9868[1].JPG
IMG_9868[1].JPG [ 215.01 KiB | Viewed 4363 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 pm 

Perhaps a correction to the date of the Voyager DD image, just working through this issue with Michael B at the moment.
The pennant flag Superior may have changed from `D` to `I` in the 3rd quarter of 40, somewhat difficult to pinpoint exactly.
If correct, the image is dated before 1940 3rd quarter, Never trust captions.

A larger but less crisp drydock image of the Voyager was/is contained within the archives, the search engine does not grab it, typical, so long haul to find.
BTW Will, you will find a better image of Waterhen you posted, in the ship history section, it contains the chook and also Vendetta.
All the best

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:25 am 

Thanks for that Voyager photo Brett. I am sure that you will tie down the exact date of the docking from Australian sources but as general point the Mediterranean Fleet War diary reports the repainting of the Med Fleet into the patterned camouflage as seen on Voyager at the beginning of August 1940 (7th August 1940 diary entry re 5th August 1940 order to the Fleet) so the photo could be mid/late 3rd quarter of 1940.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 am 

Hello all,
I was asked a very interesting question on my build thread about the extra AA guns fitted to HMAS Waterhen. It was obviously done when the deficiencies in the existing AA guns were identified. Does anyone know how and when the Lewis guns and Breda 20 mm guns were fitted? Did any of the other scrap irons have any other types of AA guns fitted?
cheers, Will

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 pm 

Waterhen`s aft set of TT landed in Jan 41, 12 pdr and single Breda mounted in place, refitted at Port Tewfik.
Lewis guns fitted late 39, Quad Vickers fitted early 40 replacing single 2 pdr.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:26 pm 

Thanks for that Brett. What type of weapon was the aft set of TT you mentioned?,
Cheers, Will

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm 

Torpedo tubes

Attachments:
Waterhen, late 30`s.jpg
Waterhen, late 30`s.jpg [ 128.44 KiB | Viewed 4128 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next