The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:55 pm 

RN Pennant listing indicates that at the time of commissioning in 1917 her pennant was FA3, F29 was introduced 1919.
Whether the pennant was painted on her sides in 1917 is unknown to me, I have seen no images to verify.
She was fitted with 4 single DC cradles, she was not fitted at that time with paravane retractable gantries.
Whether she actually carried paravanes in 1917, you will have to consider from photo reference.
She was fitted with 2 twin TT tubes sets.

Attachments:
V1.jpg
V1.jpg [ 92.88 KiB | Viewed 8481 times ]
V2.jpg
V2.jpg [ 64.19 KiB | Viewed 8481 times ]
V3.jpg
V3.jpg [ 72.38 KiB | Viewed 8481 times ]
vw twin (2).jpg
vw twin (2).jpg [ 132.4 KiB | Viewed 8481 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:12 pm 

Thanks Brett,
Great photo of the twin tube assembly. I should be able to modify the triple tubes in the kit. Photos of the stern are very helpful, looks like paravanes on deck in one. I will assume she carried pennant F29 in the Baltic Campaign, 1918-19 period. Is there a depth charge thrower forward of the X gun platform or am I imagining it?
Thanks again for the photos and info.
Doug Fritz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm 

Hi all:
Does anyone know of a source for drawings of HMS Wolverine - the famous WW2 V&W? Looking for details of bridge area and 271 installation.
Best
Paul

Last edited by Solomo on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:24 am 
hi, new member here. was looking for information on HMAS Voyager in her 1942 configuration and a quick read here indicates that i have a lot to learn. my late Grandfather was a crewman on Voyager when she was scuttled at betano bay. i have recently come into possession of some of his wartime photos and wish to build a model of both Voyager and HMAS burdekin which he served on as well.in the album there are photos of Voyager in the pacific theatre, some in action and others at various ports or anchorages. i will endeavour to provide scans of them in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:02 am 

Exactly what information on Voyager is it that you seek guest?
It will be excellent if you can scan and post those photos within his collection, very much look forward to seeing them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm 

Would the Vampire have had Corticene decks at all, like some RN destroyers?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:27 pm 

Vampire would have had corticene applied to her decks before declaration, but it is almost a certainty that it had been removed before mid 40. It is worthy of note that corticene came in several different colours, not just brown.
Traffic areas were laid usually with coconut matting.

Attachments:
CAFO 200 1940.jpg
CAFO 200 1940.jpg [ 51.12 KiB | Viewed 8115 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:09 pm 

Brett Morrow wrote:
Vampire would have had corticene applied to her decks before declaration, but it is almost a certainty that it had been removed before mid 40. It is worthy of note that corticene came in several different colours, not just brown.
Traffic areas were laid usually with coconut matting.

Thanks !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:14 am 

Brett I'm completely new to scale modelling a quick read of this thread has already indicated to me that I have a lot to learn. My intent is to build two models. One as a diaroma of voyager beached at Betano and the other of her prior to leaving Darwin on that mission.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 pm 

Maustralia, are you `guest` several entries back? if so, good to see you are now a registered member.
I can most definitely help you with your enquires, please contact me via my inbox.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm 

Solomo, I have checked for Wolverine plans but pinpointing them is elusive.
You may find what you seek in `British warship plans` by John Roberts, you could also try Greenwich museum.
I could not find at Greenwich specifically what you are looking for, but that does not mean they do not have them, but it will most certainly cost you.
You mentioned in your earlier post before editing, that you have Man o war Vol 2` the images and foldout by Roberts within should be ample for your needs.

The bridge of Wolverine and her lantern appear straightforward, her compass platform layout would be pretty much standard to other V/W`s.
She had a FM12 DF loop antenna mounted on forward bridge bracket, and a 240/241 IFF Interrogator on her port compass platform corner.
Her port bridgewing appears to mount 2 Schermuly signal rocket launchers

Attachments:
W1.jpg
W1.jpg [ 176.21 KiB | Viewed 8029 times ]
W2.jpg
W2.jpg [ 164.56 KiB | Viewed 8029 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 pm 

Thanks a lot Brett - Yes, very elusive to get just the right photos, but those do help.
I ordered the Roberts book and hopefully that along with the Man o' War book will suffice- fingers crossed!
Best
Paul in SF aka Solo
Roberts book didn't have anything helpful. Oh well.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:15 pm 
Hello all;

My grandfather was Chief Stoker on HMS Wren when she was sunk in July 1940.

I'm an aircraft modeler dipping my toe into ship modelling and this will be my first attempt at the craft.

I am aware of the requirements for updated bridge etc. for those ships refitted between the wars but I don't know if Wren was refitted and to what configuration?

There's not a lot of pics on the web that I can find on Wren, and nothing I can ascertain a date. I'd like to build her as she was in 1940 and hope someone can point me in the right direction or provide guidance on her configuration then.

Cheers;
Mark.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:43 pm 

Hello Mark, I am a newbie too, started my v and w three years ago and I just keep looking and looking on the web, finding forums etc and am still building up a picture of what my ship the HMAS Waterhen looked like. I keep modeling and then finding better pictures and then have to change it a bit. There is so much fun in researching and building, I wish you the best of luck. What scale are you doing, scrap or detailing an existing kit
Cheers, Will

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:53 am 

Hello all,
a nice bloke who has been following my scratchbuild HMAS Waterhen thread posted these photographs of her sinking plus a bridge shot of the Voyager, I am not sure if they have been seen on the web before, enjoy
cheers, Will

Attachments:
HMAS Waterhen 003.jpg
HMAS Waterhen 003.jpg [ 137.59 KiB | Viewed 7656 times ]
HMAS Waterhen sinking 2.jpg
HMAS Waterhen sinking 2.jpg [ 139.19 KiB | Viewed 7656 times ]
HMAS Waterhen in rough seas Mediterranean 19 January 1940.jpg
HMAS Waterhen in rough seas Mediterranean 19 January 1940.jpg [ 159.88 KiB | Viewed 7656 times ]
HMAS Voyager 002.jpg
HMAS Voyager 002.jpg [ 23.89 KiB | Viewed 7656 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 am 

Firstly, this is my first venture into model ship building (other than a planked timber sloop that is still in the works) and you have all been very helpful sharing information about your projects, so a really big “Thank you” from me.

My father-in-law served on the HMAS Shropshire and (very briefly) on the HMAS Vendetta and (as I have been researching the family history and archiving photographs) I thought that it would be instructive to build models of the two. I decided to build a model of the HMAS Vendetta first* and I want to build it as he would have seen it in late 1945, while serving in New Guinea and just before its decommissioning. As has been said before in this forum, there aren’t many good photos of the ship then, and this problem is compounded by many mis-labelled photos. The lockdown means that I have had to postpone my visits to the Australian War Memorial, National Archives, and so on, but from what I have read and seen, I am fairly confident of the following changes to the kit:

Remove.....................................Replace with
Torpedo tubes...........................2 x 2 pounder aa guns (single, double, quad?)
4” A position gun......................Hedgehog mortar
4” B position gun.......................4” Mark V gun on high angle Mark III mount
4” Y position gun.......................4” Mark V gun on high angle Mark III mount
12 pounder abaft of the funnel ..20 mm Oerlikon AA gun
..................................................Single Oerlikon gun port bridge wing
..................................................Single Oerlikon gun starboard bridge wing
..................................................Depth charge throwers near after superstructure
..................................................Depth charges on stands, not in cages
Searchlight.................................Type 272 radar (single gun on platform?)
Pennant Number ........................I69 in smaller white (later?)
...................................................I69 in black (earlier?)

Fortunately, all of these are available from other sources since making them is well beyond my capabilities.

As my father-in-law was a radar operator, I want to pay particular attention to getting that right but, other than the Type 272 radar, these are features that are hard to see. There are a few grainy, out-of-focus (usually distant) photos that show the Vendetta at the end of her career, some of which have been posted on this forum. I have attached one here that shows some of the features list above and two others are the RAN Vendetta site https://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-vendetta-i. The attached photo also shows some other features that I can't work out.

If anyone can offer any other insights or information (remembering that I am a newbie to this), I would be most appreciative.

Geoff

* Researching the configuration of the Shropshire and building it is a whole other story and well beyond me at the moment.

Attachments:
HMAS Vendetta- 1945 configuration.jpg
HMAS Vendetta- 1945 configuration.jpg [ 95.7 KiB | Viewed 3235 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:03 am 

Geoff, exactly what period are you interested in modelling Vendetta?
From late March 45 through to late Aug 45 she was in refit, during that time the 271 lantern and pedestal were landed and her MK II pompoms were replaced with MK III bofors.
If you wish to model her in the last 2 mths of her active service she looked quite different to her appearance in early 45.
If you do not have private collection photos of her for that period it will be a challenge for you to accurately portray her, no images exist within the PD, except this one attached.
After refit exit mid Aug 45 she was still fitted with her A286Q radar set, but she had a new navigation surface search radar A276 fitted.
The parabolic collector of the Australian A276 was quite different to the RN antenna and resembled a SC.

The image you provided in your post is of her between June/August 44, the quad Vickers and platform were landed in Sept 44, unfortunately her Australian flatscreen RDF antenna panel has been obliterated by the censor.

What other queries do you have concerning that particular image, or other questions ?

Attachments:
04.09.45.jpg
04.09.45.jpg [ 170.26 KiB | Viewed 3187 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:54 am 

Thanks Brett. I obviously got that quite wrong.
I wanted to model her at the end of her tour of duty in New Britain (September 1945 onwards) until her final return to Sydney, but I want to keep it true, so I think that it would be better for me to choose an earlier period where there is ample information, even if it does not coincide with my father-in-law's period of service. So I will probably choose immediately before her refit in the autumn of 1945 but I obviously need to do a lot more research before embarking on this.

Thanks again.

Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:26 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Solomo wrote:
Hi all:
Does anyone know of a source for drawings of HMS Wolverine - the famous WW2 V&W? Looking for details of bridge area and 271 installation.
Best
Paul

This looks a lot like the CAFO2146/42 Dark Medium Admiralty Type modification to Plate 30 of CAFO679/42. She'd be wearing 507A, MS3 and MS4 if so.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:39 pm 

Hello geoffk,
have you tried the Naval Historical Society of Australia, they a good collection of images to help me in my 1/35 scale HMAS Waterhen build. What scale are you going to build in and look forward to seeing its progress,
cheers, Will

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next