The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:55 pm 

https://i.imgur.com/gQflb5l.jpg?1

This is a photo to show the huge difference to the basic ' Showcase Models ' V & W Class ' Destroyer Plastic Kit model makes when you add aftermarket items
like Shapeways Mine rail fairings and HMS WALKER Refit Bridge with Director Control and Post 1918 era Rangefinder ( kit has the basic - and smaller 1917 era rangefinder ) -
and the brass ' HMS Repulse ' Master Models 4 inch guns and Rainbow Brass depth charges - with extra detail supplied by the ' G, H and I Class Destroyers etch set '
by White Ensign Models - I also think that the basic Model kit is very accurate and detailed , and well worth the purchase ( get it while you can ) -
please note that in real life ,so that HMS Walker ( Length 312 feet or 95 metres ) is at the front and positioned stern to stern to
HMS Cossack ( Length 377 feet or 115 metres ) - if they were both placed in line ,
then the Bow of HMS Walker only comes up to the ' A ' Turret of HMS Cossack ( Turret on right side of photo , on the deck ) - so 20 metres of difference
so the beauty of 1 standard scale ( in 1/350 ) in Models is that it gives you an exact idea of the size difference !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:22 am 
Just tried to buy another one of these destroyer kits direct from Showcase in the hope that it would be cheaper to buy direct - but if you are in the UK don't bother, save your money.

My 1st copy came from BNA models and cost me about £40 by the time it reached the UK.
I see that a UK vendor now has the kit for £40+UPS postage on top too, which is about £15 more than I'd pay for a second copy.

Someone here suggested I deal direct with Showcase which I tried yesterday.
A few months ago, the kit could be had for around £27GPP by doing so.

Cost now -direct from Showcase to the UK inc p&p? £61 GBP! So no chance.

$55.40AU for shipping a tiny and very light box of plastic? Jeez!

I reckon £20-25 to be a fair price for a 1/350 destroyer kit, so I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:55 am 

Hello all,
I am continuing my 1/35 scale build of the HMAS Waterhen and wanted to ask the experts about this photograph. I am currently constructing the intakes behind the forward funnel. In this photo of the chook you can see what looks to me to be a heap of tarps stored on top of the intakes in the bottom right of the image with the two carley rafts behind them. Does anyone know anything about what was stored on the intakes like in this image. Did it have rafts stored on top of that with the tarps below - they were in the process of abandoning her.
And can anyone tell me the size of the two carley rafts stored behind. I am going to get them 3D printed and wanted to get the right ones.
Many thanks, Will

Attachments:
IMG_8751[1].JPG
IMG_8751[1].JPG [ 335.6 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:06 am 

This is your best bet for the Carley Rafts - :cool_2:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z8ENZ ... d=63997272
Micro Master ( very , very good Shapeways designer ) _ I recommend you choose the very BEST printing material you can choose
as it makes a big difference , when you come to make the model and paint it .
The size was standard for Destroyers , it only was made larger with Battleships and Cruisers
( Simon will know the size for you - and work out a 1/35 scale size from that , for you )

Now , as regards your question -
I can actually help you as I have HMS Walpole line drawings PDF's which were supplied by the NMM , Greenwich
on top of the intakes , which were ventilators - was stored 1 Carley raft , then later 2 Rafts ( as seen in the photo )
( 1 used to be mounted on a frame at an angle to the aft funnel ) -
if you have any further questions PM me and I will try to help

kind regards
David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm 

The photo shows 2 different sized carley floats, If you require accuracy, the only way is to do a foot size calculation, based on the image.
You will never know the exact size of the floats used.
The John Ashton report will pretty much explain everything about carleys, there were 11 different sizes.

Attachments:
carley float sizes.jpg
carley float sizes.jpg [ 102.06 KiB | Viewed 224 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13