The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:28 pm 

Okay, while studying different references, i'm now convinced that the different color around the MK10 launcher is just the bare metal as opposed to the non-skid, like you showed me on your DDGs.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:45 pm 

Well it wouldn't be bare metal, it would be painted. I can't remember the color of the decks but it was a dark gray. When both the deck paint and the non-skid were applied they were very close in color, which is why you can get away with painting the entire deck a uniform dark gray. As you can see in those photos of DDG-6 (which I took what seems like a lifetime ago!) you can see that the non-skid ran to within 6 inches or so of the deck edge. Another thing to consider is that -- even though it was against regs -- a lot of ships used to use "deck wash". This was black paint highly thinned and then rolled out over the non-skid. That would result in a nearly black deck where the non-skid lay, and then dark gray everywhere else. The desk wash wore off very quickly, though; usually a matter of a week or two if underway.

-Devin

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:06 am 

NOTE: I've split this out from the Calling All USN DD/DE fans thread into it's own DDG fans thread.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm 
Glad you split out the DDG thread. DD's are jsut so boring. Kidding aside, I just like the DDG ships a little better than the regular DD.

If and when I ever start my DDG995 build I'll have to shre her with you fellas.

Report this post