The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:10 pm 

Duh. Time frame would have helped. Yes, prior to any King Board Mods. I went through the photos we've shared during archive trips but couldn't find any good close ups. I'm sure I'm overlooked or missed what I am looking for.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:04 am 

Martin,

There were only five SOMERS class units, two built by Federal and three by BIW. I have scanned 84 photos of the class. I can't remember when we last exchanged images, so I may have some views you have not seen. The images fall into two general categories, "as delivered"/"as fitted out" (1937-39) and images taken during WWII starting in 1942. Very few images are from 1941. And none during 1940. As you know, the only onboard views are from WWII. The pre-WWII views are mostly profile views; broadside, forward quarter, and stern quarter ... if you are lucky. NO pre-WWII overhead views are available.

I have a lot of heartburn because I have not found many views that show that all these units had quad 1.1-in mounts installed prior to the King Board mods. The larger PORTER class have more photos available, but don't do you much good.

The closest views, with the best detail quality, to what I think you desire, maybe these images of USS WARRINGTON (DD-383). I downsized the file sizes for these images, if any are useful, let me know and I can E-Mail you the full size files. I have a couple of views from other units while building that don't have the boat onboard, if you need details