The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:49 pm 

Matt,

Maybe posting a duplicate of your request in the camo thread would get noticed by the camo guys. I have no clue on paints used.

STERETT is interesting in that she was painted in a "wavy" Ms 12mod pattern in a May 1942 photo prior to heading to the Pacific. So just when she repainted to this pattern is uncertain, but likely would have gotten a "fresh coat" prior to going to the Pacific (maybe at Norfolk?). A couple of other destroyers had this roughly same style pattern applied. I certainly don't know why it was used or who authorized it. There doesn't seem to be anything "standard" about Ms 12mod. :cool_2:

STERETT (DD-407) on 26 May 1942 returning with WASP from working with the RN

TRIPPE (DD-403) also on 26 May 1942 returning with WASP from working with the RN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:16 pm 

Rick,

I always forget about that forum :doh_1: I will post there as well. Great photo of the Trippe by the way, is that a .50Cal between the 20's aft the stack? Interesting that Sterett had just canvas covered railing for her 20's and Trippe had actual STS.

Thanks again!

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:40 pm 

I'm not certain, but I think it is a 50-cal MG. Looks like the only one left onboard. If it is a vertical 20-mm, there isn't a shield on it. The only other possibility I can think of is a rangefinder stowed up vertically. But, I don't know if one was located there pre-war. I don't know enough about the BENHAM class configurations during this period to hazard a guess if this is unique or common. I know on the BENSON-GLEAVES that during the first half of 1942, replacement of the 50-cal MGs with 20-mm guns was piecemeal on many units ... a few 20-mm guns replaced MGs during short upkeep yard periods between convoy runs ... while other units replaced all of them in one overhaul period. So, mixed 50-cal MG and 20-mm batteries were possible in early 1942.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:00 pm 

Does anyone have some high quality images of the top of the deckhouse with all the blowers on it? It is tough to figure out what is there. After going through navsource and this forum, good pics of this area from a good angle are few and detail seems to vary from ship to ship. I am looking speciffcaly for the Sterett but barring that anything from 1942 with the searchlight mounted there will work.

Thanks
Matt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:41 pm 

Matt,

Here are a couple of close crop views of this area on STERETT herself on 22 March 1942 to the best I can provide. I don't see anything dead overhead from 1942 in my collection and overhead views taken after the 40-mm guns were installed have completely different layouts. Some really complex sheet-metal work here. :big_grin:

Photos were taken on 22 March 1942 at Norfolk Navy Yard prior to her deployment to the UK.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm 

Rick,

You save the day again, I have seen the first image before but not the second.

Thanks a ton!

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:58 pm 

Which ship are you doing? The first three units of the class (DD-397 to DD-399) had different intakes in this area. The ones Rick has shown depict the blowers on DD-402 to DD-408. It is hard to make out, but there are 4 blowers on that structure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 am 

With the upcoming Tamiya 1/700 USS Hammann release, how close is a Sims class smokestack/funnel compared to a Benham? If its close, would it be an easy conversion to use on a Benham class DD? The Midship Model stack is just dreadful!

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:49 am 

The Sims stack, if correctly done on the new kit, could be a good starting point. The Benham funnel was taller, and lacked the angled cap. Also, the trunking at the base of the stack seems to be proportioned differently. But the cross-section of the upper stack is close enough and the transition piece between the squared-off trunking and the oval of the funnel is about the same. Remove the cap and extend the funnel upward, and that might be enough for most of us.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:20 pm 

Sounds promising if they do the stack correctly. Thank you Dick. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:46 pm 

Dick J wrote:
The Sims stack, if correctly done on the new kit, could be a good starting point. The Benham funnel was taller, and lacked the angled cap. Also, the trunking at the base of the stack seems to be proportioned differently. But the cross-section of the upper stack is close enough and the transition piece between the squared-off trunking and the oval of the funnel is about the same. Remove the cap and extend the funnel upward, and that might be enough for most of us.

Hi Dick:

If you have the kit in hand, do your comments still remain the same or differently? I have the stack assembled and I think it looks really good/close to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:52 pm 

Aside from the fact that the funnel trunks didn't extend down to the deck level between the uptake opening in the deck and the point where the three segments joined (technically, 6 segments, but . . .) the stack doesn't look too bad. Extend the upper oval part upward and leave off the angled cap, all of which I am sure you have done by now. My hobby room is in the middle of a make-over, so I don't have everything at my finger tips at the moment. However, soon, but in the mean time, I wait to do any actual modeling. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:46 am 

Thanks Dick, I always appreciate your knowledgeable input! :thumbs_up_1: I hope your makeover goes smoothly and your back at it soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm 

Man, I was working on the Tamiya Hammann kit when I reluctantly decided to take all 5 of my Midship DD kits and have another go at them. I thought the funnels were bad but, I took a look at the the bows of each ship and they are terrible too! All of mine are rounded at where the waterline plate starts where they should be raked. As of now I am fixing all of them with some Evergreen strip to give them their proper appearance.

On a successful side note: I scratch built a Benham stack that I think looks pretty good to my eyes. I just have to do some additional sanding and tweaking but, I think it looks right. There is hope and a glint of light at the end of the tunnel. :heh:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:43 pm 

My thanks to everyone. These are my favorite US destroyers and the information and insight provided here has been a great help with my goal of reproducing at least one of each class.

Some may enjoy the photo and thanks again.

Best Regards,

Mac

Attachments:
DSC00078.JPG
DSC00078.JPG [ 42.72 KiB | Viewed 2230 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:05 pm 

Well done NCMac! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

They look great considering what you had to work with. :cool_2: I am in the process of completing 5 of my kits and the road blocks and hurdles seem never ending! :censored_2: Thank you for the inspiration for helping me forge ahead! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:50 pm 

Thanks Bob,

Appreciate your kind and encouraging words. The Midships Models are so frustrating because there is so much that could have (easily?) been better. Good concept; poor execution. Still, the only game in town, and if you really want to model these ships, as I did, worth the effort. I found a number of "common" fixes that I could apply to all and built them in successive pairs which seemed easier.

The Farragut is a backdated (no 40mm) Niko model. These all are part of a larger, and also now completed, collection of SoPac U.S. Navy destroyers. I actually bought a few more Midships kits for pre-war and late war versions but they'll wait.

Happy to read you are back at work with yours and look forward to hearing more.

Best Regards,

Mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:35 pm 

Hi everyone,

In the last few weeks I purchased from Martin a 1:350 model of Benham. I'd like to update it to a late war fit so that I can apply a late war camo scheme. I see that Floating Drydock has plans for a 1945 Ellet. Is this a good starting point? If not, what would you recommend? Thanks.

Mike Cavel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:06 pm 

Navsource has a photo of Trippe's port side painted in measure 32 taken on July 24, 1944. Does anyone have a photo of Trippe's starboard side painted in the same measure, or of the starboard side of any Benham class painted in that measure?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:39 pm 

Here you go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next