The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am 

An album of 40 photos of the Adm. Chabanenko taken by a Redditor some years ago: http://imgur.com/a/7MU4z#0

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:50 am 

My local model store has the Zvezda Sovremenny class 1/700 kit, but was reluctant to buy it in place of just ordering the Dragon/Cyber Hobby 1/700 Fuzhou kit from Ebay if a conversion is not feasible.

I assume the Zvezda kit is closer to the first two Chinese PLA-N ships of the class, since the last 2 Sovremenny class in Chinese service had the 956EM mod. and thus a slightly different configuration.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:49 am 

The Dragon and Zvezda kits are probably exactly the same old Pit-Road kit - I would not expect differences except of the decals and perhaps some not very useful PE parts (for which better ones are available).

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:27 pm 

If the box can be believed, that Fuzhou kit is close to the 956EM, though I think they missed the fact that the aft turret is removed IIRC. Looking at the box image, it seems, however, to have the Kashtan systems that flank the helipad on the 956EM instead of the AK-630 systems. This is not hard to imagine, since Dragon also produces the Pyotr Velikiy kit, which has Kashtan systems in it.

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:25 pm 

Sauragnmon wrote:
If the box can be believed, that Fuzhou kit is close to the 956EM, though I think they missed the fact that the aft turret is removed IIRC.

Umm...

Correction: Of the 4 ships in the class, Taizhou and Ningbo have the 956Em configuration without the aft AK-130 turret, while Fuzhou and Hangzhou are closer to the original Sovremenny configuration.

Therefore the Dragon Fuzhou kit is correct since the first 2 ships exported to China retained the aft turret.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:51 pm 

Any new russian kits to come out???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 pm 

Hi guys I have a question I'm hoping you could help me with.

On Sovremenny class ships from about 2000 and onward there seem to be an extra black boot top stripe after the white one.
Am I correct to assume it does not go all the way down and there is actually antifouling red under there as shown on this kirov class drydock picture?

I've not found any pictures of the sovremennys on drydock past 2000 and you can't really see where it ends though some pictures do suggest there's red under it.

http://navsource.narod.ru/photos/03/486/03486083.jpg

Also if you know the purpose of this addition please do tell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:04 am 

Yes you are right in your assumption. That is also why it's called boot topping and not anti-fouling. Normally it's around 1m, for US ships they have a certain regulation about it, like light loaded waterline + xx feet or something like that. Tracy White posted it somewhere on the board.
As for Russian ships, not sure what their regulation is. It's also unclear whether that is a real boot topping or not. The primer below anti-fouling paint is also black, so it might actually be a saving in anti-fouling paint rather than adding more paint.
The other explanation would be that this paint has different characteristics as to abbrasion from wave action or is more sleek since that is the part that is generally open to the surface wave action, where anti-fouling red is more or less always submerged and has a regular friction with the water. Not sure if Russian practice really follows US practice in this matter.
One thing is sure, the anti-fouling red is everywhere present on Russian ships, sometimes with, sometimes without boot topping and/or white "waterline".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:03 pm 

I acquired an old PitRoad 1/700 Udaloy kit which unfortunately had lost its decals. Does anyone know of a suitable decal set which will provide the overlapping circles on the helicopter deck? I tried the circles from other set from the spares box, but they are all too small. Alternatively if someone has a surplus decal set I would be happy to buy.

Thanks

Don

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:00 am 

Panic over! I had moved modelling benches some time back and assumed the decals had got lost in the move. However, one last look through the pile of unsorted bits revealed them.

Now I should be able to complete a diorama with Vitse Admiral Kulakov and Vesduschyi at a floating pier near Severomorsk (using Combig's resin floating pier elements)

Thanks for looking

Don

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:40 pm 

I am building the 1/350 Trumpeter Sovremenny 956 as Admiral Ushakov in current service using the GMM photo etch. Can anyone help with the radar fit - Top Steer, Plate Steer, Top Plate ? I'm also assuming that the 'Early' mainmast is the correct fit for Russian ships. First real warship build in 25 years. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm 

Admiral Ushakov, Penant 434 - pictures I have seen, she's packing Top Plate set - notice it's two arrays on the mast. Top Steer is two dishes, Plate Steer has one array one dish, Top Plate is twin arrays. Still operates the older AK-630 CIWS as well.

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:07 am 

Thanks very much for the info. Working on railings at the moment and hope to be onto masts/radar soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:05 pm 

Here is Ushakov's page on the Russian Navsource: http://navsource.narod.ru/photos/03/487/index.html

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:07 pm 

My PC malware detector blocks access to the Russian Navsource site as a source of infected downloads.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:16 pm 

Hello all :wave_1:

I have got a 1/200 Hangzhou kit made by WSN, which I believe is a copy of Trumpeter Sovremenny. Decals of the chinese ships as well as the original Sovremenny are included. I wish to make it as a radio controlled model, but I still don't know anything about the process...may need more helps for that later.. :big_grin: 
I noticed that some ships have single rudder, and others have twin, so my question is how do I know which ship has which type? So that way I can plan ahead on the ship's name (and decals).

Also I would be appreciated if someone here knows where to find plans for the Sovremenny screws/propellers...if that doesn't sound too weird.. :heh:

Regards,
Aur.

1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

Completed build:
1/350 AFV Club Japanese Submarine I-58

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 pm 

I'm fairly certain all Sovremenny only have one rudder - if you're referencing the image above by Koppalakki, that's of a Kirov and was used only to illustrate the boot-topping style.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
I'm fairly certain all Sovremenny only have one rudder - if you're referencing the image above by Koppalakki, that's of a Kirov and was used only to illustrate the boot-topping style.

Timmy,
I am aware that the photo is of Kirov class...but I couldn't believe Trumpeter made such an error! Most models were built with twin rudders, so I am a little confused..thanks for clarrifying me.

So I better ask; where do I find references or plans to fix the inaccuracies? I just saw Koppalakki's 1/200 Sovremenny, and it's just... :big_eyes:...The colors, weathering and shading were...:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :worship_1: :worship_1:
The kit I got is a little bit worst than the Trumpeter, being a copy of it, as well as being rather old and badly packed, so I'll need to fix quite many things, if I could... :big_grin:

Thanks a lot!

Aur

1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

Completed build:
1/350 AFV Club Japanese Submarine I-58

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:03 pm 

Guy's I've been looking to pick up a 1/200 project 956 em Sovremenny class, now reviews of the Trumpy kit abound with it's list of faults but what I can't find is reviews of the Bronco kit.
Is the Bronco kit worth the extra cash (£50 difference in the UK)? Does it suffer from the same faults or not?

Not bothered if the finished kit is Russian or Chinese just like the looks of the Sovremenny and it is likely to be my only 1/200 kit purchase unless a Littorio comes out.

In the design office -
HMS Ariadne Conversion of WEM kit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:07 pm 

Here's a previous build thread that highlights the issues: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=92307

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next