The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 am 

Last edited by carr on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:54 pm 

VERY interesting photo, Bob! Those missiles look menacing, don't they?

I noticed right away that the location of those two huge supports is approximately the same spacing and distance that the two rows of posts are in front of the missile tubes. For several minutes I was thinking that the posts are locating "pins" for those two huge sets of brackets. I was imagining those posts sticking up out of the deck, and this apparatus being set on top of them. Not the greatest engineering in the world , but who knows?

But after loading this photo into my computer and expanding it, I don't think the surface of the brackets is large enough to accept a "pin" of the size of the posts. It looks to me like the brackets have flanges on their bottoms and they are bolted to the deck.

So the mystery continues. Thanks for the photo though. I'm sure others will appreciate it as well.

Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:54 am 

Time flies I guess. New questions regarding Admiral Chabanenko:

This is regarding the two boats positioned up near the large crane (not the launches on the port and starboard davits.)

The only photos I have seen of them show tarps across the top, with ropes holding the tarps in place.

Were the boats powered? Via screws?
Hand operated rudders?
Long oars?

TIA,
Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:01 am 

P.S.

How about those large cable or rope reels on that same deck....
Did they use "natural" rope, nylon rope, cable?
Any thoughts are welcome?

Thanks again,
Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:36 pm 

Chuck Bauer wrote:
Time flies I guess. New questions regarding Admiral Chabanenko:

This is regarding the two boats positioned up near the large crane (not the launches on the port and starboard davits.)

The only photos I have seen of them show tarps across the top, with ropes holding the tarps in place.

Were the boats powered? Via screws?
Hand operated rudders?
Long oars?

The port one is powered for sure, even if the prop is being covered by a tarp: http://navsource.narod.ru/photos/02/224/02224034.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 pm 

Last edited by carr on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:33 am 

Thanks Tim and Bob.

Tim's photo is very interesting. The boat in question does not match at all what comes in the kit for that location. The small tarp down below looks like an inboard/outboard drive. Such a drive would pivot and thus there would be no need for a rudder. This boat also obviously has a cabin and an open rear deck with step railings protruding up from the tarp. The shape is very similar to other boats I have seen mounted on the gunwale davits.

The kit comes with two powered boats--launches--that are supposed to be attached to the davits. My impression is that they were stored there. I'm sure I could scratch build another one to match this photo, and then mount in this location. It would be pretty easy since the tarp eliminates the need for any detailing. And I could also make railings that protrude through the tarp. Hmmmm.

Bob's photos both show boats which do look like the ones in the kit.
I did intend to make one open and one with a tarp on it. So even the tarp photo is helpful, especially for color purposes.

I've made tarps and ropes before (on my Mogami for example) so this should be fun.

Many thanks, gentlemen.

---Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:54 am 

P.S.
Bob's photo of the boat with the tarp also shows a ladder on the big crane and some electrical boxes around the base. More bonus features to add to the model. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 am 

Last edited by carr on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 pm 

Last edited by carr on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm 

Cool. Thanks, Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 pm 

The PLA Navy had large black hull numbers, but have recently switched over to smaller white numbers with black shading. Does anyone know if the Sovremennyys changed over to the new style?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 am 

At least some of the Chinese Sovremenny class ships are currently rebuilt, getting a new armament, new radar etc. I have not yet seen a photos of a completed refit.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:16 am 

Some ships of the Udaloy class are currently modernised.

The quad Rastrub-B Silex launchers below the bridge wing will be replaced by each two quad Uran launchers. One 10 cm turret will be removed and replaced by a VLS for the Kalibr missile family (anti-ship, anti-submarine, land attack).

https://navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2019/may/7149-russian-navy-to-get-upgraded-antisubmarine-warfare-ships.html

That would be an interesting conversion! The question remains if the radars and other sensors will remain unaltered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:21 am 

Here a video of the modernized Udaloy class Marshal Shaposhnikov - now called frigate, with new main gun, new Kalibr VLS, new Uran launchers, at least a new radar on the foremast and one the bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=R-NCGJAhZM8&feature=emb_logo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 pm 

Thanks for the link Maxim. An interesting upgrade. Such beautiful ships!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:37 pm 

Mamy Russian warships seem to have a distinctive conical indentation in the middle of their hull bottom right below the transom stern. Kirov has it, Slava and Krivack also have it. I am guessing this is for modulating water flow to facilitate deployment of the towed sonar.

Can anyone confirm whether Udaloy and Sovremenny has this as well, and if possible point me to photos of these?

Also, is the extensible Azipod right behind the sonar dome on the Sovremenny unique to that class or do some other Russian warships also have something similar?

Most later soviet attack submarine have auxiliary propulsion pods. On the Akula they are retractable. So I am wondering if late Soviet surface combatants also have it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:38 pm 

Udaloy's conical stern indent is just barely visible in this photo posted on page 16 in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34696&start=300#p499002

As for the Sovremennies, you can try browsing through the dozens of pages on the Airbase.ru forum pertaining to the class and hope something's there: http://forums.airbase.ru/2007/05/t55722 ... a-956.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:17 pm 

As far as I remember, Sovremenny doesn't have it. For the time being, I believe it might have something to do with VDS retrieval (Sov doesn't have a VDS and therefore wouldn't need it). If the VDS would come slightly forward by swell or current during retrieval it would slide sideways on a normal hull, this cone could center it as it's being pulled up.
That's only a theory of course...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:48 am 

Yes, I verified from a dry dock photo on airbase.ru that the Sovremennys don’t have it. Instead of an indentation, they actually have a small raised protrusion at the center of the bottom of their stern. I think that protrusion may have to do with the small extensible auxiliary propulsor pod housed in their stern.

Which bring me back to these propulsion pods. It would seem odd to me that sovremenny should have these pods if other contemporary Russian surface warships didn’t.

On Soviet submarines, similar pods are used to provide a silent running capability for getting past SOSUS. But the sovremennys were not primarily ASW ships. So if dedicated ASW ships like Udaloy didn’t need these pods, Then the ones on sovremenny were probably not there to enable them to creep silently.

If they are a backup to give the sovs a get home capability if the main propulsion plant is incapacitated, then why wouldn’t other contempary russian warships also need such a feature?

Yet I found several drawings, illustrations and actual photos of the ships showing these pods on sovs after just a short search, and no hint at all that their contemporaries such Udaloy, Slava, Krivak and Kirovs have anything similar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next