The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:50 pm 

I've got an ISW 1/350 Zulu on my to do list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:00 pm 

Anyone have some images or drawings of an ASDIC dome on a Tribal?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:14 pm 

RNfanDan wrote:
RNfanDan wrote:
I'd like to model Sir Ludovic Kennedy's HMS Electra....

:oops:

Sorry, Kennedy's ship wasn't Electra, but IS the E-class subject I am considering building...

I now have the correct plans for the E-class destroyers and will be turning-out one at some point.

I just noticed this question, Kennedy's ship I believe was HMS Tartar of the Tribal class.

I think he was the Executive Officer on her and his dad was on HMS Rawalpindi in WW1 and died when that was sunk by the Scharnhorst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:13 am 

...while painting the Exeter my attention turned again in the direction of Tribal class destroyers.

I'm slowly exploring the British destroyers universe, holding in my hand that short piece of injection plastic that Revell calls Tribal :heh:, I'm trying to locate what Tribal could I build.

I would like to build a colourfull destroyer, but I prefer a ship that served in Mediterranean sea, and still with tripod mast ( not late type lattice mast ) any idea?

I'm thinking about HMS Nubian, AP507B over a AP507C base.

TIA

Dino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:12 pm 

It's a bit of work but the Airfix one can be made respectable, and even post war fits are possible if you can chop styrene. ISW has a pretty good 1/350 version, ad there is a new company on the block called Resin Shipyard <http://www.resinshipyard.com> who has a Korean fit HMCS Haida, as well as the D Class destroyer HMCS Kootenay (HMS Decoy)

I've seen the kit and anxiously await to caress my own copy.
My $.02
Tim

Last edited by Tim on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:08 pm 

Hi All:

I've decided to tackle the very old and not well detailed 1/720 Tribal class destroyer that comes in the Revell Ark Royal kit. I want to depict her as the HMAS Arunta in her Leyte Gulf 1944 color scheme in one solid shade of color. I've checked out the Austrailian War Memorial site and it says that she is painted in an overall dark gray G.10. Is this the correct choice, or was she painted in overall 5N Navy Blue? Not to mention maybe Chicago Blue??

Any help would be most appreciated.

Happy Easter to all. :wave_1:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:08 am 

Now that Trumpeter's HMS Eskimo is out (mine just turned up today) its about time this thread got going a bit more. The kit represents the ship in 1941 when she carried a type 286 radar on top of the mast and a twin 4' replaced no 3 twin 4.7'.
Now I have been looking in Friedman's book on RN destroyers and it shows a line drawing of Eskimo as built and Ashanti 1941/42. The kit has the correct radar on the mast and the twin 4' like the Ashanti. Looking at the drawing of Ashanti and reading the test it appears they were fitted with DCT and radar - would this be the same type of DCT that King George V and Prince of Wales carried? If not which one would it be? Also the Ashanti had single 20mm in the bridge wings and also in between the twin 4' and the searchlight platform - would this be the case for Eskimo as well? Finally for now - was there any other differences between Eskimo and Ashanti at that time?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:45 pm 

You said it Mike! :big_grin:
I wonder if the upcoming Zulu kit is the same kit in a different box? Also, I wonder how this kit stacks up to the Loose Cannon's Cossack resin kit?

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:44 am 

I started a thread on steelnavy about the colours and it seems someone doesn't like the new trumpeter kit at all, whereas I think it's a nice little kit. It probably is incorrect in a few places but I don't care - it will make a nice model and is cheaper than resin (remember the pound is weak as well and I'm in the UK) and I already have some etch I can use for it. I have seen the pics of the Loose Cannon Tribal and it looks very nice. From the pics I would say it looks nicer than the Trumpeter kit but then I prefer plastic and only buy resin when there is no reasonable plastic version available.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:40 am 

It is a reoccurring theme Mike unfortunately that the Japanese & Chinese modeling companies never go to the right people for their reference material and simply don't understand the ships or what period to best represent them for ease of use for the modeler i.e. to either make an accurate kit out-of-the-box OR to be able to make multiple ships with minimal effort. E.g. providing a few extra parts say for a Tribal 2 different aft funnels and a twin 4-inch and 4 twin 4.7-inch mounts. Would that really up production costs that much?

About the only time I can remember them actually involving people was Trumpeter using the HMS Hood website peoples' expertise in order to produce a more accurate kit.

Still I suppose when it comes to RN WW2 destroyers, in 1/700 plastic, having been starved for decades, beggars can't be choosers.
But still as the market can probably only support so many kits of the same class it makes sense to get things right first time!

What ship are you looking to depict?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:00 pm 

One thing they did do was supply 4 twin 4.7's and 1 twin 4'. I'm just gonna go with build oob with etch, as I think it will build up nicely despite it's errors. That said one thing I maybe able to correct is the HACs. Do you know which mk of HACs was fitted?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:25 pm 

HACs? don't you mean the Rangefinder-Director?
If so, they carried a MkII version along with the separate Director Control Tower in front of it on the bridge.
Plans of both are in the Peter Hodges Tribal Class Destroyers book.
Cheers
LB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:01 pm 

According to Freidman's book - pg 34 - ' The twin 4' gin in No3 position was controlled by a HA DCT (with type 285 radar), which replaced the 3 man rangefinder. Looking at the line drawing of Ashanti and photos it looks like a HACs to me but it doesn't say which mk.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:29 pm 

Mike what ship and period are you modeling?
I ask as Fire-control in the Tribals was improved throughout the war as they went through a lot of alternations especially because they were found to be particularly vulnerable from air attack.
I'll just try to relay some of the wartime changes to you briefly.

'As fitted' the Tribals had what I stated above, A separate Rangefinder-Director Mk II aftermost on the bridge which was behind a SEPARATE Director Control Tower or DCT.
The first destroyers to get a combined DCT with rangefinder was the commandeered 'Havants' or Brazilian H's.
The first class built for the RN from the get go with a combined DCT & RF built in was the L class (this being later abandoned in the various wartime emergency classes).

As the war progressed the Tribals began had their original Rangefinder Director Mk II replaced with a RangeFinder Director MkII (W). Which was one simply with a windshield attached to the rotating structure and, when fitted, the earlier fixed drum shield was removed.
When X turret was landed the new twin 4-inch mounts operated in barrage fire through this existing range finder director with some clever trickery to compensate for the different elevation and fuse settings required for the 4-inch shells over the 4.7-inch.

As the Tribals went through further refits then their 'as fitted' Rangefinder Director MK II got replaced by the better protected R/F Director MK II (W) above then later still got the addition of radar Type 285.
Some Tribals later still got the R/F Director MK III (W) with Type 285 also.

Calling it a HACS would be wrong. It does control HA fire, but it is no HACS merely an improved Rangefinder Director with windshield and with Type 285 gunnery radar added on top it with the yagi aerials.
So if Friedman is calling it a HACS he's a very naughty boy! :heh:
So then to answer your original question certainly by 1941 a ship such as Ashanti had a Rangerfinder Director MK II (W) with Type 285 radar in front of her original DCT which is retained.
Obviously it differs for different ships and different periods, but generally what I went through above is the course they went through during the early war years.

Plans of both the DCT and Rangefinder Director Mk II are given in Peter Hodges book and also the details as to how they were improved during wartime.
Cheers
Laurence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:08 am 

To answer your questions - I took the quote straight from the book, so it doesn't say it is a HACs. It says it is an improved rangefinder director with type 285 radar for the twin 4'. I'm saying it looks like a HACS in the photos and drawings! I was thinking maybe he meant a HACs (that went by another name) but clearly he doesn't! In his book he has pics of both Eskimo and Ashanti following their refits when the 4' guns were fitted. The line drawings show Eskimo as fitted and Ashanti as modified. I am doing Eskimo following her refit, as the kit intends! Sadly the kit looks like it has the original director rather than the improved one and I have spare HACs Mk IV fom a KGV kit I was thinking of using as it looks similar to what i can see in the photos and drawings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:45 pm 
How difficult would it be to cut down the funnel? Does it really need two different ones moulding?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:17 pm 

Its not that difficult to cut down the funnel. I did this on both my Electra and Encounter kits with a sharp xacto blade.
It would definitely be nice though if Trumpeter would include both types of funnels in this kit. They include alot of other additional parts in their San Fran, Minnie, Tuscaloosa, why not the Eskimo kit and future Zulu?

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:31 pm 
That's what I thought, but I've learnt it's best to check. "Cut here" on a diagram. I'd rather they provided alternative armaments and radars, or even masts, than something I can so easily do myself. At least they have provided the 4in as an alternative. I'm still waiting for mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:49 pm 

I am waiting to get this kit also. Hopefully during our clubs February meeting they will have one at the store.

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:53 pm 

I was going to use the Loose Cannon Tribal as a guide for cutting down the funnel, but it looks like she has the tall funnel as well. Oh well, that won't stop me. :big_grin:

Bob Pink.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next