The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:14 pm 

I have been given a rather knocked about model of HMS Diomede in 1/64th scale. I'm increasing the detail in the rebuild and recreating HMS Cleopatra (EXOCET). Can anyone send me details of the ECP/SCOT superstructure as I wish to cut out the boileroom downtakes and have very little information. I do have a set of Jabobin plans but they are a bit vague in this area. Iserved in both Diomed and Cleopatra

Alan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:06 am 

Alan
One of the best places to look is shipspotter.com they have a very good range of very good size photos of late model leanders
One thing that you need to be awere of that the Exoct Leanders had some additional changes to their layout/detail if they had a TA added Some thing that I wasn't awere of until I stared to study the photos

Still waiting for the speald chreker

Graham Murdoch

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:47 am 

Graham
Thanks for the tip, My jacobin plans are of Cleo in 1977 when I joined her so no problems there about towed array

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:03 pm 

I'm planning a 1/600 HMS Hermione, and have found some fantastic photos of her online. However, is there a good site or book that will provide more general details for the Leander class?

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:14 am 

For books I have one called "Leander Class" by Cdr CJ Meyer, OBE, RN. It is the first book in the Modern Combat Ships series published by Ian Allen in the UK, 1984.

I found a like to copies on Amazon.com:http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Combat-Ships-Leander-Class/dp/0711013853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240567860&sr=1-1

It is not a bad book and does have several pictures of the various ships including non-UK ones. I plan on building a 1/72 R/C NZ leander in the future and that is why I got the book.

Dry docked:
1/72 HMCS Assiniboine DDE 234-1960
1/72 HMCS Ottawa DDE 229-1960
1/72 HMCS St. Catharines-River Class Frigate-1944
On the slipway:
1/72 HMCS Camrose-Flower Class Corvette-1943
1/72 HMCS Trillium-Flower Class Corvette-1942

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:56 am 

A person or company named Jecobin offers detailed plans of HMS Leander with Ikara that you could use for HMNZS Southland. White Ensign Model sold Jecobin plans in past.The plans do not accurately depict the large winch for the VDS, which was the Canadian SQS-504 design. I have pictures of the VDS and information about the electronics outfits of all four RNZN Leanders.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:10 am 

Hey Jonny Canuck,

Which RNZN Leander are you looking at building? I served on HMNZS Canterbury, have a bunch of photos of her somewhere and have also built a 1:72 RC model of her. I can also possibly get access to plans of the ship in various stages of her life. Let me know if I can help out.

Cheers,
Garry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 pm 

Just got MT minatures 1/700 batch 2 leander, looks really good, given the OTt price of Dragon's type 45, may buy a second Leander instead.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:19 am 

I am currently building HMS Bacchante from the MT kit.

Cheers,

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 pm 

The MT Miniatures kits are a good representation in general, but warrant a check of plans and photos, depending on the level of accuracy required. In particular, the planking effect on the superstructure decks needs to be filled and sanded. However, nothing beyond the capabilities of an average modeller.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:32 am 

tjstoneman wrote:
The MT Miniatures kits are a good representation in general, but warrant a check of plans and photos, depending on the level of accuracy required. In particular, the planking effect on the superstructure decks needs to be filled and sanded. However, nothing beyond the capabilities of an average modeller.

Agreed. They give a great start.

Cheers,

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:39 am 

I`m intending to build HMS Sirus, but as a batch 2a, looking at the Exocet leander from MT, I`m wondering whether modifying a gund Leander migth prove easier, any thoughts.
I also wnat to do a Dutch Leander post their mid life refit, which personally I think was the best weapon fit for a Leander

Rob wrote:
tjstoneman wrote:

Agreed. They give a great start.

Cheers,

Rob

Post subject: Towed Array Leanders
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:48 am 

Neither the Gun Leander kit nor the Exocet conversion one is ideal for conversion to a towed array ship; both would require a lot of work. I'm reminded of the apocryphal story of the country yokel who said "If I was going there, I wouldn't start from here."
To summarise the requirements:
Exocet low-set on the fo'c'sle: Gun kit - remove turret ring and fill hole, find Exocet launchers and build supports; Exocet kit - remove launcher deck, make supports for launchers from kit.
Superstructure: Both kits - fill and sand "plank" effect on deck.
For'd part of superstructure: Both kits - remove screens around base of foremast, remove sponsons intended for 40mm Bofors, remove three liferafts each side, shorten upper level between foremast and funnel, fit 20mm Oerlikons.
Foremast: Both kits - remove all platforms except those at foremasthead, resite nav radar and platform to port for'd corner, amend shape of foremasthead platforms for revised aerial positions (CLEOPATRA and PHOEBE only).
SCOT aerial radomes (and their platforms) between funnel and hangar: Gun kit - provide; Exocet kit - replace existing platform with new design.
Mainmast: Both kits - provide new, thinner, mast.
Hangar: Gun kit - reshape and extend, add sponson along each side, with enclosed compartments at after ends, provide STWS torpedo tubes at upper deck level at after end of hangar, provide chaff launchers; Exocet kit - remove STWS torpedo tubes from sponson and replace at upper deck level further aft, provide chaff launchers, provide enclosed compartments at after ends of sponsons.
Quarterdeck area: Gun kit - fill mortar well and VDS well; Exocet kit - remove existing gemini and other clutter.
Towed array fittings: Both kits - make new sponson on starboard quarter (except CLEOPATRA) and provide towed array reel.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:04 am 

I've a few more that I changed extra to Tim's list:

On both the ones I am building, I removed the cast-on anchors, recut the anchor recess and fitted new ones, removed and replaced the liferaft platforms.

On the Ikara ship (I am building Euryalus) I removed and replaced the RAS wing on the port of the Ikara deckhouse and amidships, immediately forward of the mainmast, there are two small wings off the deck house, these were too far aft and should not be solid. Also on this ship, the roof of the hanger is extended to starboard to support the second Seacat launcher.

The gun version is missing the hexagonal platforms which the directors sit on.

Question for Tim on the gun version I am building is Bacchante as per 1982. I cannot a find photograph which proves she carried STWS, but I suspect she probably did given her other updates. Do you know for sure?

Cheers,

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 am 

As far as I know, none of the gun Leanders carried STWS whilst serving in the RN. Richard Osborne & David Sowdon Leander Class Frigates (Kendal: World Ship Society, 1990) has a photo of BACCHANTE on 17 May 82, with what looks like the standard weapon fit for an unconverted broad-beam Leander, and says that when she was given a major refit on arrival in Auckland (as HMNZS WELLINGTON) in late 1982, her Mortar Mk 10 and VDS were removed (and the mortar well plated overand two sets of Mk 32 torpedo tubes were fitted on the upper deck.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:17 am 

Thanks Tim.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:37 am 

Historical note: The Mk 32 TTs that the RNZN installed on HMNZS Wellington and Southland were transferred from the RNZN's type 12 frigates that left service.
Best, Mike

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:16 pm 

I`ve attached some photos of the Leander class Frigates Charybdis(4.5"),and Galatea(Ikara).I took these on port visit to Hull in 1977/78,hope they will be of interest and use to someone.

Cheers ,Phil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:08 am 

Hi all, first post,

I am looking to make an HMS Argonaut model for a relative who served on board her in the 70's. I can model but have very little current knowledge of ships, the navy, etc etc and its all a bit complicated so would welcome some input.

I was initially looking to build an Airfix 1:600 but having found this forum I think the MT miniature 1:700 is a better option.

So my understanding after a trawl on the web, The Argonaut:
A batch 2 Leander Class
not modified until the 80's so should have as built fit
Guns not Exocets
Should have the cut out on the stern for the VDS
Should have the big rectangular radar on the top.

So basically the 1:700 HMS leander would be the best starting point?

I have found many photos on the web of Leander class frigtes but there are so many variations, batches, mods, things, stuff but I would like to build an acurate representation. I will see if I can get some photos if the fatherinlaw has any but will need to do it on the sly.

Any advice greatly welcome.

Regards

Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:50 am 

A few Leander class shots

HMS Cleopatra (Exocet conversion)

HMS Leander (Ikara Conversion)

Task Force 72, home of some of the world's finest 1:72 scale model ships http://www.taskforce72.org