The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:33 pm 

All -
Been a while since activity on this thread. In that meantime, Black Cat has produced both CANNON and EDSALL class DEs (Not DER version though). I have eyes on for the EDSALL kit (to be USS PILLSBURY) and it looks very good. This EDSALL is the late war version with the quad 40MM with two twin 40MM midships in place of the torpedo tubes. I will have to put back TT and take off the twin 40MM tubs and replace the quad 40MM mount with a twin 40MM mount. Those seem to be the biggest changes I've spotted.
I had kit in hand maybe a week and a half after placing order with Black Cat, with reasonable shipping from France (~ $16 w/ tracking and insurance).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:56 pm 

Black Cat is producing several versions of the CANNON/EDSALL classes DE's. They are "almost" interchangeable. I would think that you would be better suited to get one of the "as built" units and convert (make minor mods to vents and such) that unit to USS PILLSBURY, than go to all the trouble of backfiring a late war "Anti-Kamikaze" Mod unit.

... https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/us-navy/18 ... c-fit.html ...

You have bought the version I plan on buying. The EDSALL class Anti-Kamikaze Mod units fell into two basic configuration; The one with two twin 40-mm and one quad mount, and as the supply of quad 40-mm mounts got short, the USN went with three twin 40-mm mounts on about a quarter of the EDSALL class units. The three twin mounts version is what my Uncle's EDSALL class ship had (DE-244) and it appears ALL of the CANNON class units had. The conversion I'm doing and posted above is my attempt of modifying the ENGLAND kit. Making or finding the vents for an EDSALL/CANNON class units are different than on a BUCKLEY class and has been a pain for me to duplicate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:35 pm 

Well, the artworks look awesome! and these seem to be very complete kits. I really hope they are super!

But the price tag is also awesome: € 140 is a lot of money for a ship model of less than a foot long.

As an alternative you could consider Naval Models conversion kit for the Van Amstel/De bitter class, which is a Cannon class frigate. The Trumpeter model is included, plus all the resin parts to concert it into a late Cannon class.

https://www.navalmodels.com/product/350-06-bitterklasse-kit-hr-ms-de-bittervan-amstel/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:56 am 

Are there any in box reviews of this kit ... Naval Models conversion kit for the Van Amstel/De bitter class ... aka images of what you get???

From the link you posted and what I can find online, only shows the box art and doesn't mention getting the Trumpeter kit as part of this item.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:46 am 

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/naval-models-mw-350-06-van-amstel-bitter-klasse--1180801 It states it is a complete model.

Bert Takken shows a Work In Progress with photos build up here: https://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51358 He comments on some poor castings but these were replaced at no cost by Naval Models.

I had the pleasure building the masters for the conversion parts and I am in regular contact with Naval Models, naturally. If you have any trouble with availability you can let me know. I know for sure the kit includes the Trumpeter USS England kit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:00 am 

The Black Cat Models kit is the way to go. It's complete including resin hull, 3D printed detail parts, and photo etch. The 3D printed parts are resin printed and reduce the amount of time detailing the ship. By the time you buy all the individual bits and pieces I'm guessing you are money ahead buying the Black Cat kit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:12 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
Black Cat is producing several versions of the CANNON/EDSALL classes DE's. They are "almost" interchangeable. I would think that you would be better suited to get one of the "as built" units and convert (make minor mods to vents and such) that unit to USS PILLSBURY, than go to all the trouble of backfiring a late war "Anti-Kamikaze" Mod unit

Well, too late for me, but when I bought it the only EDSALL listing by Black Cat appeared to be the Kamikaze mod. Not to worry, I have looked it over and it seems to be fairly easy to backdate. Carefully cutting off the twin 40MM tubs horizontally with a razor saw flush with the 01 deck is first step. Then cut off the bottom decking of the tub (still attached to deckhouse) flush with the outer bulkhead leaves me with two complete twin 20MM splinter shields. Set aside. Next I remove the sides of the single 40MM quad splinter shield flush with deckhouse deck. Finally, use one of the the twin 40MM splinter shields in place of the 40MM quad and splinter shields on centerline. I have a torpedo tube unit from an ENGLAND kit that will go on the deckhouse centerline. I think that will do the job. If I am missing something I'd be happy to hear about it - haven't started the work yet so any help with details I might be overlooking is welcome.
PILLSBURY will complement U-505 and GUADALCANAL (75% done).
Totally unrelated to this thread, but still important: If you are doing GUADALCANAL, be aware that most camo pics of her during her fourth war patrol that seized U-505 are incorrect - they pics are from earlier patrols. A few show the port side correctly - you can squint and see the outline of a PERRY FFG bow on the port bow of GUADALCANAL. Only starboard side correct picture I have seen is a photo "run by" taken from one of the DEs as CVE-60 slowly steams past. How do I know that is correct? As the carrier steams by and her stern disappears out of the shot, a tow rope is visible and at the end of it, U-505 glides by under tow.
Sorry for the divergence - it took me a long time to get the right camo for that cruise. Fortunately I realized the original photos were wrong before I started to paint.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:02 am 

John,

I still think that if you ordered the Black Cat kit that best meets what you want to build, that you are better off. Saving you a lot of alterations. I alter plastic kits all the time, but resin kits are trickier for me to alter, particularly IF SAWING is involved. :eyebrows: You could sell the kit you have and recoup at least some of that cost. Freetime carries many of the Black Cat kits, and you could have it sooner if time is an issue.

Maarten,

From what I can see from the in box review you posted, cost comparison aside, I feel that the Black Cat model is better. His 3-D printed parts are excellent and the weapons alone are much better detailed than the resin weapons I saw in the Naval Models kit. By the time one bought 3-D printed weapons from Black Cat or others along with PE and other parts (that may or may not be missing from the Naval Models/Trumpeter kit), the cost will quickly rise to near the same.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:52 am 

Rick E Davis wrote:
John,

I still think that if you ordered the Black Cat kit that best meets what you want to build, that you are better off. Saving you a lot of alterations. I alter plastic kits all the time, but resin kits are trickier for me to alter, particularly IF SAWING is involved. :eyebrows: You could sell the kit you have and recoup at least some of that cost. Freetime carries many of the Black Cat kits, and you could have it sooner if time is an issue.

Maarten,

From what I can see from the in box review you posted, cost comparison aside, I feel that the Black Cat model is better. His 3-D printed parts are excellent and the weapons alone are much better detailed than the resin weapons I saw in the Naval Models kit. By the time one bought 3-D printed weapons from Black Cat or others along with PE and other parts (that may or may not be missing from the Naval Models/Trumpeter kit), the cost will quickly rise to near the same.

Hi Rick et all,

As we haven't had the chance yet to examine the new Black Cat kits on our workbench, any final verdict is a bit premature. But I share your feeling that the new kit must be superb in quality. And so it very well can be. The Trumpeter USS England kit certainly has it basic flaws, the hull shape for a start is way off (I have corrected it for myself and that was quite a job). As the Naval Models conversion set was only intended to match the quality of the Trumpeter kit, not to exceed or correct it, we deliberately didn't include a new corrected hull in our set, to keep the cost down: the hull is in ship kits by far the most expensive casting.

The total result is passable, but for achieving a first class result you have to do and invest more effort and money. Starting with a GMM PE set is a minimum I would say. The secondary weaponry and directors certainly will benefit greatly from an upgrade, and in the instructions of the kit suggestions are made which items were available, l'Arsenal being the major source for those at the time. Today we have several more options for improved parts - with their associated price tags.

So I don't contest the Black Cat kits at all, I applaud there is a new option to build these classes. But quality obviously comes with a price, and if someone is willing to pay that, he should definitely go for it!

As long as there are people wanting to build a Cannon/Edsall class DE in 1:350 but are not seeking the top notch quality or are on a more constrained budget, the Naval Models kit based on Trumpeter remains an option, just as it was intended. And € 60 is for some people still a lot of money, if they compare it to the price of the original USS England kit of about € 17. We often have discussions on shows where we meet novice builders, staggering at the prices some manufacturers demand for their products. And of course we also know the modelers that seem to have very deep pockets. So there is a diverse audience out there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
John,

Maarten,

I found that working slowly with a razor saw I got the results I wanted. My cuts were placed well enough that I was able to cut the twin 40MM shields off while leaving the deck under them on. Then just cut the deck off flush. Beats tyring to sell it and / or buying another. Next time I'll wait a little longe I guess.