The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:33 pm 

I've got an old Doc Model 1/700 Type 2 Hunt kit, HMS Badsworth.

I think the kit depicts the ship in 1941 not long after completion as the only AA armament is a quad pompom and the only radar is the usual 'yagi' ariel on the director.

I've a couple of issues to clear up, the first is would she have any other radar fitted in 1941?

Secondly is the camouflage. The instructions call for a 3 colour scheme, White Gray, Medium Green Grey and Black Grey. Would this simply be APC507A, B and C, with decks in APC507A?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:11 am 

Mike W wrote:

Secondly is the camouflage. The instructions call for a 3 colour scheme, White Gray, Medium Green Grey and Black Grey. Would this simply be APC507A, B and C, with decks in APC507A?

thanks
Mike

No, the green component was quite distinctive, and the white-grey was lighter than 507C--more toward WA white. If I still have my custom mixes chart (I haven't been active for many months), I'll look up the percentages I obtained from a private source in 2011.

:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:56 pm 

Chasing plans for a type 1 Hunt class destroyer. HMS Quorn in particular. My girlfriends grandfather was onboard her when she was sunk in Normandy. So interested in a possible future project in 1/72

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=154767
1/72 Friesland
1/75 Wasa
1/53 STS Leeuwin II
1/72 HMAS Perth 1942
1/72 Russian Corvette Steregushchy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:56 pm 

All:

Would anyone know if additional photos exist of HMS Badsworth in the modified two-color version of the original three-color camouflage scheme she wore when first commissioned, in which the MS1 (dark grey) panels were overpainted in MS3 (medium grey-green)?

This famous photo of her entering Malta harbor, low in the bow, after sustaining combat damage in June 1942, is the only photo of her in this modified version of her original scheme that I am aware of: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Malta.jpg

Any help in directing me to other photos of her in this two-color version of her original three-color scheme would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike E.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:12 pm 

Nice, clean build of IBG 1/700 RN Hunt class destroyer kit:

http://modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=58750

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 am 

Perth_shipyard wrote:
Chasing plans for a type 1 Hunt class destroyer. HMS Quorn in particular. My girlfriends grandfather was onboard her when she was sunk in Normandy. So interested in a possible future project in 1/72

Hi,
I was just wondering whether you managed to track down any plans? my grandfathers brother, Charles Bradley was also lost on her.
Regards,

Neil Kirby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:14 am 

There is this for Type I Hunt :
http://neptunia-hobbies.com/index.html

Its a paper model of HMS Cotswold in 200th scale .It has 3-D details drawings of that vessel.It proved very useful for my scratch-built 350th model.

Hope this helps

Regards Phil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:34 am 
I've not done any modelling since I was a teenager (I'm now 40), but have just bought a 1/700 kit of ORP Krakowiak which my wife's Polish grandfather served on during the war and that I intend to build for her.

One thing I'm not sure on is the colour scheme, I can't recall seeing this scheme in any of the photos of the ship that I've seen (and I've looked at a lot!).

Here's a photo of the kit which shows the camo pattern:

We do have a book about the Krakowiak which I need to check later, but was wondering if anyone had seen images of this ship with that colour scheme?

We think he served on the ship from mid 1943 as we know he made it to England via Gibraltar (after being rescued from a work camp by German resistance) and the ship was stationed at Gibraltar at that time. He was certainly present at the Normandy landings.

All that's to say that as the model is of the Krakowiak in 1944 then if the colour scheme is correct he would have been serving on the ship at the time.

Actually whilst writing this I just came across this image that I'd not seen before of the Krakowiak in a very similar colour scheme:

Now to source the correct colours of paint.... I always used humbrol in my youth, what's best to use these days?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6