The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:31 pm 

For a short forecastle Type I, you can just buy the Fubuki kit.

The only set you should be getting is the brand new Pit-Road NE07 set. It has all the proper Fubuki class equipment: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10308051

Actually, you can also use the Shirayuki set bundled with the NE07 set: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10336874

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:06 pm 

I am still not seeing the differences in the forecastle between those two kits.

I may have to just order one to see in person.

Edit:
Bought one Shirayuki (why did I think it was Shirakumo???) with the Equipment set. I need to buy something for the Uranami, now... That would be an Ayanami with the Equipment set for the Type A Turrets.

Oops.... I need to find PE sets for these.... Trolls through thread... OK, two of the PE sets for the Yamashita kits, a couple of the Rainbow Torpedo Skid-rail sets, looking at the Yamashita Kit OE, I need a Set of Funnel Grills (or two), one of the Five Star PE sets for the Ayanami (as an Uranami) - geez, and I only have three or four more Fubukis/Ayanamis to go for the Solomons Campaign, not counting the Akatsukis I need - and a PE set for the Shirayuki.

I also still need to find handrails for the turrets. I suspect I will have to find a PE set of just IJN handrails (I think Tom's, Rainbow, Flyhawk, or GMM makes one) and do them myself. Maybe I can make them from .01" Styrene rod, and sheet stock?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:22 am 

Quote:
Maybe I can make them from .01" Styrene rod, and sheet stock?

You certainly could, but remember that .01" is a scale 7". PE would be better. It's all overscale anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:27 pm 

I know PE would be better. But it would be terrifically difficult to get handrails on the turret to fit properly unless they were made for th turrets.

The bend around the corners would cause a warp in the PE that would be obvious.

Also, handrails that were in-scale would be slightly less than 1/1000th of an inch in size.

They would barely be visible.

Some details would need to be overscale to be visible. We have similar problems in digital modeling for Video-Games and Movies, where some parts have different meshes constructed for different camera angles or ranges, so that we don't have to spend two weeks rendering a single frame to get an "in-scale" part to render out.

But if anyone knows of any handrails made for the Type A turrets, that would be good to have.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:46 am 

Finally got the Shirakumos (edit: NOT the Shirayukis - why do I keep getting them confused? :huh: ).

Now, to find a Photo-Etch set for them.

I have a set of the Flyhawk IJN Railings, which look like they will fit the forecastle (they have two or three different lengths for the forecastle. I'll figure out which ones go where).

But, I need:

• Degaussing cable (I have two sets of these already, one used on my IJN Nagara - I suppose I should buy more).
• Turret handrails.
• Stack Handrails and Grills.
• Torpedo Turret handrails, hatches, and windows.
• Deck.
• Torpedo Reloading rails.
• Torpedo Skid Rails and Cranes.
• Boat Davits.
• Bridge Detailing/railing.
• Gun Barrels (which I think I already have. I think I have about 50 of the IJN 127mm DP gun barrels - do I need different ones?).

What else will I need for these (since I will have more than one of the Shirakumo - again, not the Shirayuki)?

And, which manufacturers make the relevant parts?

Something occurred to me.

It might be a good idea to have a catalogued list of the various kits, and the PE kits made for them, and what they provide.

And for those kits without a dedicated PE kit for them, a catalog of the various PE sets that would be needed to complete it.

It would be good to have this information in one place, like the Five Star PE Kit parts list I have completed for the USS SF/New Orleans-class PE-kit (although the various parts are still not completely filled in).

MB

Edit: As a point of reference for others buying the Pit-Road Shirakumo. The kit SAYS it is a "1944" outfit.

Well.... It is, but it includes all of the parts needed to build it as Early-War (deck housing roof/deck with the turret ring, and turret), and simply leave-off the extra AA guns.

So, this kit really should read "built at any point during WWII"

Edit II:

And, for the Urinami, I went ahead and got another Ayanami, and since I have extra turrets from all of the NE07 equipment sets, and about 50 of the IJN 127mm brass barrels, I am set for getting the correct turrets on the Urinami. The only thing I lack is having handrails on the Type A turrets for all of my Type I Toku-gata that have that turret style (roughly five - six ships).

Also, as a beach about the Anime KanKolle.

The "Fubuki" is the Show's Protagonist, showing her in determined preparation for the Big Operation (Operation MO - or the Port Moresby Invasion, for which the show has the saga and Akagi participating, yet Yamato withheld real Carrier support from MO, which is likely why it failed - yet in the anime they succeed... No surprise, since the anime is reactionary Japanese revisionism.... But)... They show the Fubuki getting her "upgrade" to a Type B Turrets and late-war AA-upgrade , which never happened to the Fubuki (she was sunk in 1942).

But I suppose the show's makers didn't want to be so downbeat...

Still... Need those handrails for the Type A turrets. I don't want to make Fubuki-chan sad by not having her proper handrails.

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:26 pm 

Matthew, I kinda hope this is stream of consciousness here. Multiple PE mfgs make versions of the PE that you require.

Quote:
Degaussing cable (I have two sets of these already, one used on my IJN Nagara - I suppose I should buy more).

Many mfgs: KA, LionRoar, AKA, Voyager, possibly Flyhawk, and, of course, styrene strip

Quote:
Turret handrails, Stack Handrails and Grills, Torpedo Turret handrails, Bridge Detailing/railing

Many of the aforementioned makers also make a generic one bar handrail set

Quote:
Torpedo Reloading rails, Torpedo Skid Rails and Cranes.

Rainbow is best for these

Quote:
Boat Davits

Everybody. Also, Finemolds makes exquisite plastic versions. The ones in various PitRoad NE sets aren't bad either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:41 am 

Dan K wrote:
Matthew, I kinda hope this is stream of consciousness here. Multiple PE mfgs make versions of the PE that you require.

Quote:
Degaussing cable (I have two sets of these already, one used on my IJN Nagara - I suppose I should buy more).

Many mfgs: KA, LionRoar, AKA, Voyager, possibly Flyhawk, and, of course, styrene strip

Already ordered. I got both a set of Flyhawk and Lions Roar. I tend to favor both of those companies over Voyager for some reason.

Quote:
Quote:
Turret handrails, Stack Handrails and Grills, Torpedo Turret handrails, Bridge Detailing/railing

Many of the aforementioned makers also make a generic one bar handrail set

I have some of these, but have discovered they do not do too well for anything but stacks. getting them to do a 90º turn around the corners of the Turrets produced buckling in the handrails. Even after annealing it it was a problem. It MIGHT be possible to stretch out the PE where the corner is going to be, and then have it more successfully navigate the corner (have not yet tried this - it will involve annealing, and then slowly stretching where the bend will be located - very easy to wind up trashing large sections of hand-railing).

I think what I may do is just produce a Fret of PE Hand-rails for the Type A turrets (at least the Pit-Road Type A Turrets). I only need, what.... 15 turrets worth myself, maybe 18 turrets worth.

And, I am pretty certain that if I made them, they would come (customers).

My only issue with PE is getting the money for the first batch of frets. For Hand-rails, it isn't such a hard problem (since they are not likely to have problems with the first batch - unlike the PE Frets for the Nagara I have made, which will likely need two test frets before working out all of the problems).

Quote:
Quote:
Torpedo Reloading rails, Torpedo Skid Rails and Cranes.

Rainbow is best for these

Thanks, just ordered a boatload. (well, two packs of them - It looks like I will need many more, though, with all of the Fubukis I have.

I have some in a Tom's DD Fret, but they were only enough for one Fubuki.

Quote:
Quote:
Boat Davits

Everybody. Also, Finemolds makes exquisite plastic versions. The ones in various PitRoad NE sets aren't bad either.
[/quote]

I will have to try some of these out. I am thinking about using them on my Nagara, just to try them out. But, if not there, then at least one Fubuki will get them. I am in love with Fine Molds (I bought 10 packs each of their USN and IJN weapons - so, around 60 packs of weapons - hoping to not run out any time soon). And, I am looking at getting some of their searchlights after seeing one in person. So, if they make Davits, then I will be happier than a cat in a box to buy some.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:59 am 

What FM davits don't have are the hanging boat pulleys, unlike many of the PE versions. May, or may not, be important to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:26 pm 

So Dan, I've just pulled the sow's ear that is the Tamiya (not) Hatsuyuki kit from my pile and read your excellent thread.
Now I am like :huh:

I've (kinda) settled on Shinonome as lost; so lets' see if I've got at least some of this straight.
Three type A turrets
Shielded tubes 3 X 3
No added (wartime) AA
Funnels need some help; I have to re-read that part with the parts in my hands
What I'm going to do about the second and third sets of ventilators I don't even want to think about, yet.

How'm I doing? :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:37 pm 

Quaestor wrote:
So Dan, I've just pulled the sow's ear that is the Tamiya (not) Hatsuyuki kit from my pile and read your excellent thread.
Now I am like :huh:

I've (kinda) settled on Shinonome as lost; so lets' see if I've got at least some of this straight.
Three type A turrets
Shielded tubes 3 X 3
No added (wartime) AA
What I'm going to do about the second and third sets of ventilators I don't even want to think about, yet.

Are you doing it as Early-War?

Because the Late-War Hatsuyuki has a turret replaced with 25mm AA guns (I think two twins).... At least that is what the book I have says on "upgrades."

I don't know about the Shielded Tubes, exactly, but I am pretty sure that all of the Fubuki Toku-gata got shielded Torpedo tubes by the war (I would need to re-read the thread).

And, what are the "third Set of Ventilators?" (needs to get out a Fubuki kit.......) OK... The Ventilator behind the aft stack... (Needs to look at a Tamiya Hastuyuki...... !!!)...

Yeah! The Tamiya Hatsuyuki is all messed up. The stacks are too small/thin/narrow/whatever. It is late-war, meaning that it has a lot of extra AA guns. And I don't know WHAT is going on behind the aft stack. Oh! And it is missing the #2 turret (X-turret).

That is one ugly-ass kit.

I am glad that the only Tamiya Toku-gata DD I have is the Ayanami. All the rest are Pit-Road, Fujimi, or Yamashita.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:50 pm 

Quote:
Three type A turrets
Shielded tubes 3 X 3
No added (wartime) AA

Pretty good. Shinonome was the first large warship lost by the Japanese due to air attack, on Dec 17, 1941. So, she is in early war rig as you have identified. When you get to the ventilators, I'll help. I used styrene to enclose the area between the port and starboard #2 vents. I have more pics, I think of that area. The #3 vent cowling was pinched from one of the PitRoad Type II or III kits as it was an extra piece, and I just built on top of it.

Quote:
The Tamiya Hatsuyuki is all messed up.

Well, it's actually the only version whose hull correct from Tamiya:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=54394

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:32 pm 

What's up with it's hull, as compared to the others?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:52 pm 

Tamiya used a Type I short forecastle hull for all of its Fubuki Type iterations. That's one of the reasons why the kits are so frustrating when building one of their Type II or III kits.

OTOH, I found the kit could be built into a decent Type I with a little tweaking and perseverance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:01 pm 

Cheers Dan :thumbs_up_1:

As an aircraft modeler for many years I was curious which RNethN type sank Shinonome (Catalina or Do 24?).
A little digging turned this up; perhaps of interest to others, too:

http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/Shinonome.htm

EDIT: I had not seen your follow-up thread; looks like more good reading.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:09 pm 

Just received the Yamashita Fubuki in today's mail.
Wow :thumbs_up_1:

Yamashita, like Flyhawk, is setting a new standard for plastic in 1/700th. The delicacy of some of the moldings is amazing. The established major manufacturers need to pay attention; for the sake of their businesses.

Seeing this kit I now know exactly what the 2nd and 3rd sets of ventilators on the Tamiya "Hatsuyuki" are supposed to look like :doh_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:12 pm 

Dan,

How identical were Ayanami (42) and Shikinami? I have the early was FineMolds kit and feel a slightly better attachment to Ayanami, given that I've got a fondness for vessels lost off Savo. I'd imagine they're pretty damn similar

Thanks!

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:40 pm 

Quote:
I've got a fondness for vessels lost off Savo

Ditto that.

Ayanami and Shikinami were virtually identical at that point, in addition to being division mates and both in action at the 2nd Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.

If I understand you correctly, PG, you have the Shikinami kit. If so,then you just need to use parts B8-10 in lieu of parts J1-3, along with the searchlight and RDF antennae. You will also need to use twin 13mm AA on the platform in front of funnel #2 instead of the 7.7mm MGs. Both ships wore a degaussing cable, and no hull markings. HTH.

Attachments:
Shikinami instructions, step 8.jpg
Shikinami instructions, step 8.jpg [ 97.81 KiB | Viewed 3491 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:55 pm 

Dan, what's your verdict on the Yamashita 1/700 Fubuki? It certainly looks impressive. The review mentions the bow curvature, easy fix with a bit of sanding. Re-reading the posts at the start of this thread and cross-checking the review pictures, I'm also unsure about the curvature of the kit's forecastle break. The forecastle is correctly "short" but the fairing into the hull seems too abrupt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:19 am 
Well, I haven't built the kit as of yet. Still mired in another project.

As I wrote in the review, I was happy to see what appears to be a proper set of funnels and mid structure, the auxiliary funnel piping notwithstanding. That can be reworked. The hogging of the hull was the biggest issue. However, later production runs seem to reduced the problem through what seems to be the use of a harder plastic that better retains the shape. Some other modelers have reported fit issues during construction. IT would be helpful to hear from them. :-)

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:19 pm 
Regarding the forecastle break, I've no way to access references until I return home. I recall some differentiation between ships.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next