The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 pm 

By the way, I just picked up the 1:700 Pitroad Atago yesterday. What an awful kit! It does not compare favorably in anyway with the Pitroad Kongo, which is great by comparison.

A major issue is that Pitroad molded the entire main deck and superstrucutre as one piece, so there was sure to be some issues related to that decision.

The worst problem is the the fit of the bridge piece, does not match at all with the slope of the forward superstructure, plus the bridge does not match the size and shape of the Kongo, as it does in real life.

There is also no surface detail, only slots to apply pieces for vents.

I have already ordered the Aoshima Atago!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:47 pm 

By the way, the Aoshima Atago kit is far superior, plus it comes with a P-3 Orion, a J-2 fighter, and a North Korean ballistic missile with launch pad!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:02 pm 

drdoom1337 wrote:
Disregarding scale, does anybody have the skinny on which kit is the best out of this lot;
1/350 trumpeter atago
1/700 skywave atago
1/700 aoshima atago
These are all recent toolings, but I only need one. I plan on picking up the Hyuga DDH in the corresponding scale as well.

Yeah i'm working on the Trumpeter(Pit Road) Atago now in 350th and it's a great kit. I also built the 700 one from Pit Road.
The 700 one is engineered perfect and is better than the Aoshima one in my Opinion.
As for the Hyuga they are about equal. The Pit Road one offers full hull and the Aoshima is WL only.
The Aoshima one's SH 60 are trash. The Pit Road one's are very nice on the other hand.
When i buy JMSDF i always go to Pit Road first. Thats just me though a nut for Japanese subjects.
Also for decks of the JMSDF, i use gunship grey with a couple of drops of light grey.
The JMSDF decks are lighter than US decks. They are just slightly darker than the color of the ship.
Hope this helps.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 am 

Will someone please explain what's wrong with the old tool Aoshima 1/700 Kongo?

Thanks in advance.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:18 pm 

Haijun watcher wrote:
Will someone please explain what's wrong with the old tool Aoshima 1/700 Kongo?

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean the PitRoad old tool Kongo? (Aoshima has recently released an improved version of the Kongo Class, the JMSDF Atago, but there are considerable differences between the two classes).

PitRoad was first to market with this class of guided missile destroyers with their SW-2000 J11 kit. PitRoad later re-released the kit in full hull format, and the instructions from that later release are one-in-the-same (minus lower hull) with the earlier release: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10225543z/70/1. This is the only version of the kit released by PitRoad in 1:700.

Hasegawa released a version of this ship in 2003. Instructions, for comparative purposes, here: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10031286z/70/1

I have both kits. My Hasegawa kit is under initial assembly. The hulls measure the same length and width. The Hasegawa kit comes with a higher parts count and greater detail. However, many of the parts in the Hasegawa kit are for multi-piece assembly of superstructure and details, whereas in the original PitRoad kit, these parts were cast in fewer pieces. The most notable differences are that the superstructure in the PitRoad kit is mold as part of the hull/deck casting, with details to be added, whereas the superstructure builds from the deck up in the Hasegawa kit. No helicopter is included in the PitRoad kit. Weapon and sensor fit appears to be the same for both the PitRoad and Hasegawa kits.

Take a look at the instructions at the link above for a direct comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:46 pm 

D-Boy wrote:
I have both kits. My Hasegawa kit is under initial assembly. The hulls measure the same length and width. The Hasegawa kit comes with a higher parts count and greater detail. However, many of the parts in the Hasegawa kit are for multi-piece assembly of superstructure and details, whereas in the original PitRoad kit, these parts were cast in fewer pieces. The most notable differences are that the superstructure in the PitRoad kit is mold as part of the hull/deck casting, with details to be added, whereas the superstructure builds from the deck up in the Hasegawa kit. No helicopter is included in the PitRoad kit. Weapon and sensor fit appears to be the same for both the PitRoad and Hasegawa kits.

Take a look at the instructions at the link above for a direct comparison.

So essentially the Hasegawa versions are just more detailed and thus more parts for assembly? So essentially no glaring errors that would be noticed by an experienced modeller or an actual JMSDF sailor?

I pretty much just want to build out of the box with some basic JMSDF PE railings and no other PE.

Thanks for your feedback.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm 

A comparison of the Aoshima and Pit Road kits of the JMSDF Marusame and Takanami Class kits in 1:700 scale: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=157534.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:22 pm 

Hi Guys

I have read all post regarding the paint colours for the modern JMSDF and sorry am still confused
can anyone list the enamel paint and company that comes near to the real colour used by the Japanese

stevie

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:56 pm 

tico wrote:
Hi Guys

I have read all post regarding the paint colours for the modern JMSDF and sorry am still confused
can anyone list the enamel paint and company that comes near to the real colour used by the Japanese

stevie

Try Colourcoats by Sovereign Hobbies previously WEM. They ship to Britain and possibly Europe but there are limited US suppliers I believe also.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:41 pm 

Hi Sutho

thanks for reply I was in contact with this company and as I only needed maybe2- 4 tins the postage rate to SCOTLAND was nearly double the price it only comes down when you order more tins so what the point in ordering paint that I will never use and a waste of money

stevie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:15 pm 

Hi!

I guess this is the closest forum there is to ask about Abukuma class DE. First of all, I have zero knowledge of JMSDF, but I recently was given a box of Hasegawa 1/700 JMSDF Tone/Chikuma.

I want to do one as Abukuma to be placed side by side with its WWII namesake. Other than changing the hull number, is there any significant different between the sisters?
Also, could anyone suggest a PE set to go with it? I'm looking at Hasegawa mast PE. I don't plan to detail it much, just mast and railing maybe.

Thank you,

Nanond

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 pm 

Nanond wrote:
I want to do one as Abukuma to be placed side by side with its WWII namesake.

Also, could anyone suggest a PE set to go with it? I'm looking at Hasegawa mast PE. I don't plan to detail it much, just mast and railing maybe.

Nanond

If you've got PE for the mast figured out, both Flyhawk and PitRoad make JMSDF modern railing PE sets:
https://hlj.com/search/go?w=JMSDF%2C%20railings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:13 pm 

Nanond wrote:

Hasegawa made a PE set to go with the ship. You can get it here fairly cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/HASEGAWA-72758-J ... B003HC8EIS

Each set comes with PE for one ship, so you need to buy two if you want to detail both ships. The mast is multi-part and a little fiddly.