The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:49 pm 

I thought the Battles were fitted with MK IV mountings?
Is this photo any help to you Dave? tube set on HMAS Anzac

Attachments:
MK IV.jpg
MK IV.jpg [ 197.38 KiB | Viewed 2739 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:00 pm 

John Campbell, Naval Weapons of WW2, has John Lambert's orthogonal scaled drawing of the RN quadruple TT mounting Mark VIII. The drawing matches Brett Morrow's useful photo here of the quintuple TT mounting aboard HMAS Anzac, less the tube closest to the camera.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 am 

This is the original entry in the John Lambert Catalogue. As it is a 1943 Battle that I'm building, I feel I have to bow to his expertise. Many thanks for the drawing of the PR II Mounting, it does give probably enough detail for me to tie in with the photos of the builders model of HMS Alamein I mentioned in an earlier post.

QUINTUPLE 21-in. PR MARK III TORPEDO TUBES - 1944

L/O/93

A and B

Two detailed sheets showing the tubes carried by the second group (1943) 'Battle Class' Fleet destroyers. (Drawn at �-in. per foot).

Sheet A showing Side, front, rear and plan views, plus 21-in. Mark IX torpedo, transporting bogie (8 drawings).

Sheet B shows detail and construction. (11 drawings).

Two large sheets. 19 drawings total. Drawn November 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:54 am 

davepb wrote:
This is the original entry in the John Lambert Catalogue. As it is a 1943 Battle that I'm building, I feel I have to bow to his expertise. Many thanks for the drawing of the PR II Mounting, it does give probably enough detail for me to tie in with the photos of the builders model of HMS Alamein I mentioned in an earlier post.

QUINTUPLE 21-in. PR MARK III TORPEDO TUBES - 1944

L/O/93

A and B

Two detailed sheets showing the tubes carried by the second group (1943) 'Battle Class' Fleet destroyers. (Drawn at �-in. per foot).

Sheet A showing Side, front, rear and plan views, plus 21-in. Mark IX torpedo, transporting bogie (8 drawings).

Sheet B shows detail and construction. (11 drawings).

Two large sheets. 19 drawings total. Drawn November 1997.

Hi Davepb,

I found the pentuble tubes in the Frog kit quite usable, but had to reduce them in length at their muzzle to become true 1:350 scale. For my version (the Barfleur) I took off one of the tubes, as this ship had quadruples instead, and detailed them as required.

Reasonable good pentuples are in the WEM kit of the J,K and N classes, but not very detailed. Building your own from scratch shouldn't be very difficult either.

Do you happen to know a source for 40mm twin Bofors Hazemeyer mounts? I only found Mk V mounts from North Star, these are very different though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
davepb wrote:
Just converting a Frog Battle into the original fit of HMS Matapan to go with my 1970's trials ship conversion. There are some very good photos of the builders model of HMS Alamein on this page:
https://stefsap.wordpress.com/2015/11/1 ... ers-model/
When zooming in, some excellent detail is revealed.

As a coincidence, I'm also trying my hand at the old Frog/Novo battle kit -- and reducing it to 1:350 scale in my stride. That proved easier than I thought: just take out 24mm from the length amidhips, 6-7 mm either side from the keel, and trimming the top edges. Then fitting new decks, with beveled edges into the hull.

Have a look whether you like it! Some of the smaller parts appear to be closer to 1:350 than 1:325 in fact, like the turrets and lattice foremast. I will replace it eventually by WEM PE anyway. Now looking around for good 1:350 40mm Hazemeyer twin Bofors... any suggestions?
Attachment:
IMAG1630red.jpg
Attachment:
IMAG1631red.jpg

That looks pretty smart. You could look at Peter Hall's etch for the Frog kit, quite a lot will fit in with what you have done. He is also planning to produce a 350 scale Battle, maybe two versions!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:21 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
As a coincidence, I'm also trying my hand at the old Frog/Novo battle kit -- and reducing it to 1:350 scale in my stride. That proved easier than I thought: just take out 24mm from the length amidhips, 6-7 mm either side from the keel, and trimming the top edges. Then fitting new decks, with beveled edges into the hull.

Have a look whether you like it! Some of the smaller parts appear to be closer to 1:350 than 1:325 in fact, like the turrets and lattice foremast. I will replace it eventually by WEM PE anyway. Now looking around for good 1:350 40mm Hazemeyer twin Bofors... any suggestions?

I believe it's time to give you an update on my Frog 'Barfleur' attempt. She is beginning to look much like the real thing I think. I have scratch built the HACS Mk VI and the 4" QF behind the funnel, and tried to improve the 4.5" turrets to something looking more like the original. But now on to scratch building the four Hazemeyers!
Attachment:
IMAG2313red.jpg
IMAG2313red.jpg [ 200.11 KiB | Viewed 2432 times ]
Attachment:
IMAG2314red.jpg
IMAG2314red.jpg [ 183.45 KiB | Viewed 2432 times ]
Attachment:
IMAG2315red.jpg
IMAG2315red.jpg [ 192.14 KiB | Viewed 2432 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:53 am 

Does anyone have any details of any kind (photos, lines, body plan etc. etc.... anything at all really) for HMS Matapan (D43) post-conversion to sonar trials ship please? I'm interested in details for the whole ship, but especially below the waterline (i.e. the sonar skeg). I've attached a profile from Norman Friedman's British Destroyers & Frigates and a photo I have of her in dry dock (I'd love to find photos without the scaffolding in place!).

Many thanks

Andy

Attachments:
HMS Matapan section from British Destroyers & Frigates small.jpg
HMS Matapan section from British Destroyers & Frigates small.jpg [ 52.62 KiB | Viewed 2293 times ]
HMS Matapan in dry dock small.jpg
HMS Matapan in dry dock small.jpg [ 94.12 KiB | Viewed 2293 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:17 am 

all i have from the net
ciao peppe

Attachments:
DD D43 Matapan 1973.png
DD D43 Matapan 1973.png [ 20.29 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]
matapn11.jpg
matapn11.jpg [ 78.91 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]
matapn10.jpg
matapn10.jpg [ 61.82 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]
matapa13.jpg
matapa13.jpg [ 82.75 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]
matapa14.jpg
matapa14.jpg [ 114.69 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]
matapa12.jpg
matapa12.jpg [ 226.4 KiB | Viewed 2276 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 am 

WOW, that second photo really helps! :thumbs_up_1: Any idea what book it was published in?

Any similar photos (inc. the of the aft end of the skeg/false-keel) would be very much appreciated! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:16 am 

2 from a russian magazine, one from a japanese history of british destroyers
ciao peppe

Attachments:
matapan 1.jpg
matapan 1.jpg [ 357.25 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
matapan 2.jpg
matapan 2.jpg [ 274.39 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
matapan 3.jpg
matapan 3.jpg [ 302.24 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:57 pm 

i find the foto in a french forum, you can ask there
http://forummarine.forumactif.com/t7637 ... au-duchess
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 am 

The photo of MATAPAN being scrapped is taken from Ian Buxton To Sail No More Part 4 (Liskeard: Maritime Books, 2000). The French website cited by peppe took it from there (with, or without approval), as evidenced by the text box shown; I'm not sure of the provenance and copyright of the original photo. This book contains a couple of other photos of the ship, one taken from ahead whilst scrapping is in progress.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:38 am 
tjstoneman wrote:
The photo of MATAPAN being scrapped is taken from Ian Buxton To Sail No More Part 4 (Liskeard: Maritime Books, 2000). The French website cited by peppe took it from there (with, or without approval), as evidenced by the text box shown; I'm not sure of the provenance and copyright of the original photo. This book contains a couple of other photos of the ship, one taken from ahead whilst scrapping is in progress.

Many thanks indeed, that is a huge help!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 am 

Does anyone know if the Postwar Sonar Systems in the Royal Navy chapter in Warship 2020 contains any drawings of HMS Matapan, as converted for sonar trials (she is pictured on the cover, below). If so, what kind of drawings?

Many thanks

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 pm 

Despite Osprey's webpage claimng that the publication includes articles entitled "Postwar Sonar Systems in the Royal Navy" and "C 65 Aconit", neither are included in the text (although one on "T47 Surcouf" is).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:45 pm 

tjstoneman wrote:
Despite Osprey's webpage claimng that the publication includes articles entitled "Postwar Sonar Systems in the Royal Navy" and "C 65 Aconit", neither are included in the text (although one on "T47 Surcouf" is).

Wow, many thanks for letting me know!

These are the contents listed on Amazon:

From Battleship to Carrier: Béarn
    The Eight-Eight Fleet and the Tosa Trials
    Italia and Lepanto
    The Reconstruction of HMS Victorious
    The Beginnings of Soviet Naval Power
    The Small Cruiser in the Imperial German Navy (Part I)
    Modern Surface Combatants
    The Fleet Battleship Charles Martel
    The Quest for an Italian Aircraft Carrier 1922-1939
    Postwar Sonar Systems in the Royal Navy
    The Grounding of HMS Dauntless, July 1928
    C 65 Aconit
    Naval Books Of The Year
    Warship Notes
    Warship Gallery