The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 am 

My HMS Barfleur built from a Solebay kit by Deans Marine, bought in '97 it kept getting put on the back burner for one reason or another and went through 3 house moves
It floated well very stable. It did not perform as well but that’s my fault for experimenting with the drive I hope to re-do the motors soon and look forward to some good sailing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:32 am 

Very nice work,though might be a bit of a struggle underway to see the thing,if there's greenery is in the background. I r/c'd a Lindberg Blue Devil years ago and did the full Ms33 treatment,it was a sod to see in certain light conditions,which I guess was the whole point of the camo.Nice weathering too....

I have a couple of nice shots of unknown Battles I'd like to identify-will try and post one here-I have if filed as Aisne or Armada,as it was listed numerically by the MoD(that is to say no name or date,just a numeric listing) and was between Aisne and Armada,and as I assume the original was noted before being scanned.All the others I were correctly listed alphabetically........

Attachments:
Aisne or Armada crop.jpg
Aisne or Armada crop.jpg [ 92.09 KiB | Viewed 5583 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 pm 
pegleg's photo certainly isn't AISNE, which was a 1943 Battle, with different director and secondary armament configuration to the ship shown.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:13 am 

Probably not,Tim. I just noted it that way as the photo before numerically on the CD was Aisne,the one after Armada.I wanted to keep the photo in the same order,as it would be automatically sorted by Windows after in the folder.Does that make sense?
It is a '42,with that 40 behind the 4.5" ,aswell as the director. Question remains,which one?
Howsabout this one-same deal,listed after Corruna and before Dunkirk....

Attachments:
D-J crop.jpg
D-J crop.jpg [ 143.54 KiB | Viewed 5537 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 am 

A shot of HMS Jutland in 1:72, hope you like it.

Regards

Unicorn

Task Force 72, home of some of the world's finest 1:72 scale model ships http://www.taskforce72.org

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:42 pm 
There is a nice conversion of the Deans Marine HMS Solebay kit shown here:
http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=6362

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:34 am 

Hello

I am currently working on a project to convert the Frog 1/325 scale Battle class Destroyer into the Venezuelan Destroyer Nueva Esparta as she appeared during completion in 1953. The main armarment is the same as the Battle Class Destroyers, and I have extras of the secondary STAAG 40mm mounts from other Battle kits, as this Destroyer had 8 twin mounts of this 40mm. I will post pictures soon.

regards,

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 pm 

I see that there is areview of the HP 1/700 HMS Cadiz by Rob Kernaghan on the Finewaterline site at

http://finewaterline.com/pages/reviews/battle%20class/battle%20class.htm

I agree with most of the points which Rob makes about the kit but I want to add a little. I've got a copy of Barfleur in my stash & the mouldings look identical which makes me think that HP go in for a lot of reboxing without much redesign. Barfleur was equiped with Hazemayer 40mm Bofors whereas the kit only comes with the later STAAGs. Cadiz had STAAGs but also had a lot of single Bofors (you can see them on the box cover) but they seem to be missing.

HP makes very interesting kits which is why I buy them but they can be very anoying by charging top dollar for careless work.

Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm 
HMS Matapan D43 was the most secret ship of the 1970's navy, with only the pick of the royal navy for crew. She was also the longest serving Battle Class Destroyer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:30 pm 

I came across this photo at the US National Archives. It shows a RN BATTLE Class destroyer at Oslo, Norway, dated as 25 September 1952. What is interesting and why I can't identify her, there is no pendant number. There is a large number "4" on her stack. Appears to be a "1943 BATTLE Class" destroyer based on the Mk 37 director.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:54 pm 

What a smashing photo Rick ,thanks for posting it .The reason she has no pennant number was that she was a fotilla leader (hence the black funnel top) ,and leaders didn`t have numbers on the hull sides.She could be Agincourt ?
I dropped heavy hints to a certain Mr Hall ,that a Battle class would be very welcome from Atlantic Models, in 350th of course!!

Regards Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:09 pm 

I had suspected HMS AGINCOURT because I assumed this ship was a leader (there were a couple of leaders in among the 1943 BATTLE Class) because of the black band and no pendant number and this link seems to point that way ...

... http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Ba ... _Agincourt ...

But, I didn't have confidence that there wasn't another answer.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:13 pm 

I`m sure the pic is of HMS Agincourt.I`ve just checked up in the "Battles" book by Patrick Boniface ,and the entry for her in Sept 1952 is as follows:

" Put into Trondheim to repair storm damage"

Regards Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:24 pm 

Phil,

Thanks. That helps to validate the date as well. I have skeptical faith that the dates used on these 80-G photos are accurate.

Rick

Post subject: HMS Matapan - post refit
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:49 pm 

Hi, I'm trying to find some pictures of the main davits fitted to HMS Matapan after her refit for sonar trials. The accompanying picture clearly shows straight lower sections, with no knee to swing the boat out. Has anyone any pictures showing how they operated?
Cheers

Attachments:
Matapn_on_the_way_to_scrapyard_1979.JPG
Matapn_on_the_way_to_scrapyard_1979.JPG [ 61.82 KiB | Viewed 3478 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:41 am 

Just converting a Frog Battle into the original fit of HMS Matapan to go with my 1970's trials ship conversion. There are some very good photos of the builders model of HMS Alamein on this page:
https://stefsap.wordpress.com/2015/11/1 ... ers-model/

When zooming in, some excellent detail is revealed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:02 am 

Further to my last post, I'm looking for drawings of QUINTUPLE 21-in. PR MARK III TORPEDO TUBES - 1944 as fitted to the '43 Battles. I know John Lambert produced drawings, but getting these now is apparently impossible. Does anyone know of a set that I can borrow, or have a spare scan?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:25 pm 

davepb wrote:
Further to my last post, I'm looking for drawings of QUINTUPLE 21-in. PR MARK III TORPEDO TUBES - 1944 as fitted to the '43 Battles. I know John Lambert produced drawings, but getting these now is apparently impossible. Does anyone know of a set that I can borrow, or have a spare scan?

Not the Mk III but the Mk II version as used on the J,K and N class. From Chris Langtree's book ' The Kelly's'
Attachment:
pentuple tubesjpg.jpg
pentuple tubesjpg.jpg [ 157.54 KiB | Viewed 2940 times ]

Does this help?

Maarten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:17 pm 

davepb wrote:
Just converting a Frog Battle into the original fit of HMS Matapan to go with my 1970's trials ship conversion. There are some very good photos of the builders model of HMS Alamein on this page:
https://stefsap.wordpress.com/2015/11/1 ... ers-model/
When zooming in, some excellent detail is revealed.

As a coincidence, I'm also trying my hand at the old Frog/Novo battle kit -- and reducing it to 1:350 scale in my stride. That proved easier than I thought: just take out 24mm from the length amidhips, 6-7 mm either side from the keel, and trimming the top edges. Then fitting new decks, with beveled edges into the hull.

Have a look whether you like it! Some of the smaller parts appear to be closer to 1:350 than 1:325 in fact, like the turrets and lattice foremast. I will replace it eventually by WEM PE anyway. Now looking around for good 1:350 40mm Hazemeyer twin Bofors... any suggestions?
Attachment:
IMAG1630red.jpg
IMAG1630red.jpg [ 120.54 KiB | Viewed 2935 times ]
Attachment:
IMAG1631red.jpg
IMAG1631red.jpg [ 105.83 KiB | Viewed 2935 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:49 pm 

I thought the Battles were fitted with MK IV mountings?
Is this photo any help to you Dave? tube set on HMAS Anzac

Attachments:
MK IV.jpg
MK IV.jpg [ 197.38 KiB | Viewed 2742 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next