The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:55 am 

Looks like with the release of other 1/700 Mutsuki class destroyers by Yamashita all Mutsuki class variants can be built except Uzuki after September 1942. A sloped stern was then fitted. Does anyone know if Yamashita is planning to release an early and late version of Uzuki with a sloped stern too?

Regards,

Berend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:57 am 

I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was unlikely. Uzuki would be a one-off hull with that ramp. I would think it to be a questionable investment for Yamashita Hobby. But, I could be wrong.

This link to HobbySearch Japan gives the current listing of Mutsuki class kits from Yamashita Hobby: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_ ... hita+Hobby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:32 pm 

I believe it depends on how it was done. Was the existing stern converted or was a sloped part added in a similar way as later seen in the Matsu class?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:00 pm 

Good point.

Gakken #64 on the Mutsukis has line drawings that indicate her stern was cut down. Inoperative scanner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 pm 

I have Gakken #64 but the line drawings don't show the length of the ship

The author of this article says Uzuki hull was enlarged with a hollow part filled with water. He also posted a picture with a drawing showing a camparison between Satsuki and Uzuki hull lenght. The additional lenght in m. is also added.

I have not been able to find his source therefore don't know if it is correct.

Site addres: http:// musashinonavalarsenal.web.fc2.com/products/uzuki.html

Regards,

Berend.

Attachments:
Uzuki  Satsuki hull comparison Uzuki has sloped stern.jpg
Uzuki Satsuki hull comparison Uzuki has sloped stern.jpg [ 643.72 KiB | Viewed 4073 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:36 pm 

I think you are correct, Berend. In looking at plans of the class, a ramp cut into the stern would interfere with the rudder's steering post. There's really no way to work around that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:56 pm 

Finally, Mutsuki class kits are posted on P1.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:28 pm 

See this announcement about a new 1/350 resin kit of Mutsuki: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39000&p=1025213#p1025213

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:21 pm 

Hey guys! Got a question about Nagatsuki since I couldn't find info on it. The known picture of the ship on the Kolombangara Island shows it had rails on the stern running as long as to the second torpedo launcher. I have the Gakken book on Mutsuki class and found nothing about this modification. As I´m considering making a kit on the subject, this detail seemed interesting to represent.

On another note: how accurate result to you the representation of the forward of the bridge platform for AA depicted on the Yamashita Hobby kits? As it differs on what we've seen on the detail sets by Tetra or Rainbow.

Link to the wiki pic of Nagatsuki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... d_1944.jpg

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:39 pm 

Good eye on the main rails. From the Japanese Wiki article on her (for this period in 1943):

"In mid-March, the 8th Fleet applied to convert Nagatsuki, Fumizuki, and Satsuki into minelayers . [35] In addition, it is requested that ``we need to strengthen the transportation capacity of high-speed small transport ships (depending on the modification of destroyers and cruisers).''

Quote:
representation of the forward of the bridge platform for AA

I'm rushing, so forgive me for missing something but, based on pics of Satsuki in early 1944, I'd say the Rainbow representation looks pretty accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:44 pm 

Thank you so much Dan! I can't understand how I didn't check on the JP wiki. You are so right. So it will be a fun project after all. Also on the Satsuki, found the pic you mention on the book and it's very clear.

On another note, this image book was released with some extensive illustrations on the Mutsuki class. Bought it but not arrived yet, so no clue on what will it contain. I hope some illustrations of the Uzuki with the modified stern?

https://www.hlj.com/illustrations-of-wo ... 6-mdg23374

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:12 pm 

Lol, I just received that volume. A specific section is about the Mutsuki archtype; it's great illustrated guide to the details of an early war or late war Mutsuki, but nothing on, say, Uzuki's stern. More generic to the type as opposed to particular ships, but still amazing detail. Perfect as a reference guide to building the class.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:04 pm 

Well, that'll be nice then. Can't wait to get my copy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6