The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:22 pm 

thomastmcc wrote:
is there any scale plans of the z class in 1/72 ?

You will have to find another way to specify the class. The "Z", as the thread implies, stands for "Zerstörer" which is German for Destroyer. There is no single class identified as "z class".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:48 pm 

Dick J wrote:
thomastmcc wrote:

You will have to find another way to specify the class. The "Z", as the thread implies, stands for "Zerstörer" which is German for Destroyer. There is no single class identified as "z class".

sorry mate narvik class ..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 pm 

thomastmcc wrote:
sorry mate narvik class ..

I presume you mean the Type 1936A destroyers, also called the Z-23 class. (Z-23 to Z-30) "Narvik class" is an unofficial designation that came about because a number of them unofficially adopted the names of destroyers lost at Narvik. But from Z-23 on, none received any official designation other than the "Z" number.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:36 am 

Could anyone confirm if German destroyers on the Spanish Neutrality Patrols had their flotilla numbers on the hull as per pre-war photos? And were they the same numbers as seen on these photos? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:11 am 

Does anyone know anything about the pipe on the forward funnel? Were they on the 1934 only?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:15 am 

Different shipyards where the destroyers were built used different piping configurations, if that's any help. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:50 pm 

The funnel pipes appeared on both the Z1 and Z17 classes. All 6 Z17's were built by Deschimag, Bremen and had the same pattern of pipes. The patterns on the 16 Z1 class differed by builder. In your photo collage, the top left shot marked as "Z17?" is actually one of the Z1 to Z4 group. This group was built by Deutsche Werke, Kiel. The Z5 to Z8 group was built by Deschimag, Bremen. The Z9 to Z13 group was built by Germania Werft, Kiel. And the Z14 to Z16 group was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg. The Z9 and Z14 groups also had pipes on the after stack. After 1943, a number of the surviving units no longer had the visible pipes. I have no documentation to determine whether the pipes were enclosed within a modified stack or if they were simply eliminated. Their funnel caps were shortened at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:52 am 

Thanks it really help me. I don't have to make pipe for my Z-43 model :big_grin:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:47 am 

Ahem, would someone please respond to my post below?

Haijun watcher wrote:
Dick J,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Still, upon doing a lot more digging on the internet, I decided that I will be instead building the kit as Z-39, but during her stint in the Gulf of Finland.

It's because at the time, she also sported her own unique dazzle camouflage, as shown in the picture below:

Z37 is the top one, Z39 is the bottom one.

Source: Marineart.it

And here's an actual photo of Z39 during her stint in the Gulf of Finland in 1944.

Source: Book: German destroyers of World War II by Gerhard Koop, Klaus-Peter Schmolk

Still, both photos above only show the port side of the ship. Does anyone here know if the starboard side of the ship was identical?

If not, could any of you please point out a source which shows the starboard side?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:23 pm 

Perhaps nobody answered because, like me, they haven't seen anything anywhere that shows the other side. I wouldn't mind seeing that myself, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:42 pm 

Dick J wrote:
Perhaps nobody answered because, like me, they haven't seen anything anywhere that shows the other side. I wouldn't mind seeing that myself, though.

Would the starboard side simply mirror the port side pattern? Or mirroring paint scheme patterns is not really common in German warships?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:41 am 

According to Leon and Asmussen, German Naval Camouflage 1942-1945 these scheme was usually used on supply ships, minelayers and merchantmen - and Z 39 was an exception. I have not found any comment for the other side. I would assume that it was identical.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:23 am 

step by step I'm preparing to paint my Z-43 model and I have a question

Does anyone know the color of rafts? In gallery I found many zerstorer and the rafts were in many color, like gray, green, yellow, brown. And north star are producing black. So which color is correct ? :help_1: :anyone:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:39 pm 

thomastmcc wrote:

thomas

I would doubt a 1/72 scale kit, just looking at the relative size of my Revell P.T. 109 build. But, that would be a great subject, or set of subjects, or something in 1/144 or even 1/200. I built up Revell's 1/144 Fletcher and it is quite impressive in size. Even at 1/200 it would a big ship model. In fact, if the 1/200 trend is going to continue and flourish, I think they are going to have to offer up some smaller ships besides battleships and aircraft carriers. Most of us don't have a lot of space to display many, if any, of those things, let alone the cost. But, some DD's, DE's or even cruisers would be good candidates for 1/200 treatment. A 1/200 Samuel B. Roberts or U.S.S. Johnston anyone?

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:39 pm 

robertmelvin wrote:
thomastmcc wrote:

thomas

I would doubt a 1/72 scale kit, just looking at the relative size of my Revell P.T. 109 build. But, that would be a great subject, or set of subjects, or something in 1/144 or even 1/200. I built up Revell's 1/144 Fletcher and it is quite impressive in size. Even at 1/200 it would a big ship model. In fact, if the 1/200 trend is going to continue and flourish, I think they are going to have to offer up some smaller ships besides battleships and aircraft carriers. Most of us don't have a lot of space to display many, if any, of those things, let alone the cost. But, some DD's, DE's or even cruisers would be good candidates for 1/200 treatment. A 1/200 Samuel B. Roberts or U.S.S. Johnston anyone?

Bob

thanks bob a 1/72 scale plan would be better for me ..

thomas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:19 am 

When modeling these German destroyers from scratch the book 'Deutsche Zerstoerer 1935-1945 - Vom Original zum Modell' is a must. The book contains elaborate original and model plans. Sorry if you can't read German, but you'll have to work your way through that, if you want to tackle a subject like this in earnest.
http://www.das-geschichtsbuch.de/product_info.php?info=p2871_Vom-Original-zum-Modell--Deutsche-Zerstoerer-1935-1945.html

With the book a set of plans is also published:
http://www.das-geschichtsbuch.de/product_info.php?info=p2917_Koop---Schmolke--Planmappe--Die-deutschen-Zerstoerer.html&XTCsid=a6ad01a8e4887adcbc3cdea1099286ae

However, the scale of these plans is predominantly 1:100, so for building in 1:72 you will have to do your math, and it might be a good idea to have yourself some enlargements made at your local copy shop, provided they can handle the size of these plans.

By the way, it helps if you acquaint yourself with the right nomenclature regarding German destroyers, it helps when you are searching for information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_World_War_II_destroyers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:10 pm 

Here are also plans available:
https://www.shopssl.de/epages/es119126.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es119126_MZ-Modellbau/Products/M-54
https://www.shopssl.de/epages/es119126.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es119126_MZ-Modellbau/Products/P-Z37

But also 1/100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:54 am 

biegacz90 wrote:
step by step I'm preparing to paint my Z-43 model and I have a question

Does anyone know the color of rafts? In gallery I found many zerstorer and the rafts were in many color, like gray, green, yellow, brown. And north star are producing black. So which color is correct ? :help_1: :anyone:

That's also a question I would like an answer too. The only info I have is in a German Naval camouflage book, which states they were sometimes painted over when camouflage was applied but nothing to say what the actual colour was. They seem to be mostly depicted as some kind of Sandy-yellow colour.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:04 am 

Does anyone know of an easy fix that requires minimal surgery for the incorrect bridge on Trumpeter's 1/700 Z-7? The problem is that they have provided a bridge with rounded front when in wartime it would be a square bridge.
thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:43 am 

Mike W wrote:
Does anyone know of an easy fix that requires minimal surgery for the incorrect bridge on Trumpeter's 1/700 Z-7? The problem is that they have provided a bridge with rounded front when in wartime it would be a square bridge.
thanks
Mike

According to New Vanguard (Osprey) "German Destroyers 1939 - 45", Z7 (Type 34A Paul Jacobi Class) was built with a square front bridge, starting with Z6. So Trumpeter got that wrong to begin with. The Trumpeter model is more representative of the preceding class (Type 34) Z1 - Z4, and Type 34A Z5, pre-1938, after which they were all refitted with a square bridge. Maybe you could kit-bash a later date destroyer bridge. :wave_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next