The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:02 am 

81542 wrote:
hj1985

Re: Your post of Dec 19

You appear to have found http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de. I suggest that you pose your questions there as well.

However, for what this is worth: 1. Is possibly some form of aerial screen. 2. The foremast will be behind it. What the item actually is may be debated. It may have been intended to be what the Germans termed a "fleckerstand" or gunfire spotting position that doubled as a crow's nest. 3. I don't know. 4. Ditto but it is unlikely to be an early RADAR aerial. 5. The staff will be behind the foretopmast. There appears to be the flotilla or squadron's senior officer's penn(d)ant flying from it in one of your pictures.

Do try the aforementioned website though.

Thank you 81542.

I did open a post there. So far, haven't received a reply yet.

https://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/i ... 326.0.html

In regards to 1. I believe it is some kind of aerial antenna. and for 3. I think it is navigation light

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:29 pm 

1. what is this tube-shaped thing?
2. Is this a crows nest, is the mast going through it or behind it?
3. What is this?
4. Is this some sort of early radar antenna?
5. Is this pole right behind the tip of main mast?

Your help on this matter will be much appreciated[/quote]

Hello,

1. was a tube to help pass the flags when hoisted or lowered
2. it was a crows nest
3. sort of hinge/attachment (?) to secure the yardarm stays (dont know the english term) - to keep them level
4. i dont know
5. behind

There are a couple of good quality pictures of the late war DD-939 ex Z-39 on the navy history site, maybe they help:
https://www.history.navy.mil/content/hi ... l?q=DD-939

Additionally you might want to get the Whitley Book on Destroyers, there are many things covered
ISBN 1557503028

Best regards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:32 am 

Hi Guys! :) I would really appreciate your help. Were there any camouflage patterns others than flat-grey, for the "1936B" class destroyers (Z 35, Z 36, Z 43, Z 44, Z 45). I've jsut bought Trumpeter kit, but I don't want the next boring painting scheme ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:18 pm 

Page 102 of Volume 2 of "German Naval Camouflage" by Leon and Asmussen shows pictures of three Standard destroyer schemes between 1942 and 1943 but none are specific to the ships that you mention. They mention two possibly useful References in the bibliography that you might find useful.

The first is "German Destroyers of World War Two" by Koop and Schmolke. The English language edition was published in 2014 by Seaforth/Naval Institute Press. The second is "[i]Torpedoboote und Zerstörer im Einsatz 1939 - 1945: Kampf und Untergang einer Waffe[i]" by Volkmar Kühn published by Verlagshaus Würzburg in 2006. I cannot vouch for either of these.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10