The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:47 pm 

Hello again Jan

As far as I can guess, the 'Nagara' from Aoshima is in the original WWII configuration, but I'm hoping they will release a 'Izusu' later (and I know that another Portuguese fellow modeller is also hoping for a 'Kitakami' or 'Oi').

If you have the 'Akizuki' model, can you send me by email a photo of the side walls (parts E8 and E9) and the rear bulkhead (part E12), if it's not so much trouble? So as I can know what to scratch.

Cheers from Portugal
João

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:37 am 

Trumpeter's 1942 Akizuki kit depicts a box like object just behind the bridge, on a walkway that goes around the backside of the bridge. Is this a signal flag locker? I notice that earlier Japanese DD had little chimneys distributed around the deck, which presumably serves separate heaters in crew spaces. Trumpeter's Akizuki didn't have these. Is this accurate or just an omission?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:23 pm 

It's a vegetable locker. Really.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 pm 

On the outside of the ship? I would think food would be stowed inside.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:42 pm 

My reaction was the same as yours but............this is what I've been told, and assured of, my some of my Japanese contacts. I guess all that sea air assures freshness :scratch: Not sure if refrigeration is available.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:10 pm 

To the starboard side, and just forward of, the aft type 94 AA director, Trumpeter depicts a large, round, horizontal circular grill like structure on top of the roof of the aft deck house. A large scale model of Akizuki shown in a Gakken book depicts a similar structure, appearently painted to represent wood. I doubt it's actually a ventilation grill. Typically ventilation grill are vertical. It could have been some sort of wooden platform for a gun crew to walk on while serving a central AA gun, except there is no AA gun there. What is this round flat laying structure?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:34 pm 

The 1/100 scale Akizuki in Gakken #23 has what appear to be, at first glance, a floating target bullseye contraption stored in this position. Of course, a closer glance makes me wonder if that's really what it is, because the "raft" doesn't look substantial enought to hold the target. But, too crude to be much anything else. Definitely not part of the deckhouse structure, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:15 pm 

But the thing is not completely round, and one edge of it is shaped to follow the plan of the deckhouse so it doesn't overhang the edge. This suggests it is part of the ship, and not a raft lashed on top of the deck house.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:35 pm 

Not a great scan, but this is what I'm referring to, from Gakken #23. Nothing on any plan that I have shows any sort of similarly shaped object in this position. Can you show what you are referring to?

Attachments:
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg [ 85.3 KiB | Viewed 3075 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:47 pm 

Unfortunately, my scanner is not working with my computer. The round grill I referred to is on the other side of the aft type 94 director tower from the target in your picture, just inboard of the stash of wooden damage control beams stowed against the side of the aft deck house. In the model, there appears to be a coffee table in the middle of that grill, with a tea pot on top of the table.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:59 pm 
ar
chuck wrote:
To the starboard side, and just forward of, the aft type 94 AA director, Trumpeter depicts a large, round, horizontal circular grill like structure on top of the roof of the aft deck house. A large scale model of Akizuki shown in a Gakken book depicts a similar structure, appearently painted to represent wood. I doubt it's actually a ventilation grill. Typically ventilation grill are vertical. It could have been some sort of wooden platform for a gun crew to walk on while serving a central AA gun, except there is no AA gun there. What is this round flat laying structure?

The item that you are referring to is shown in the set of builders plans that I have, along with a labelled description, which unfortunately is in Japanese. I suspect that the item (platform) is a portable one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:33 am 

Yes, I suspect it is semi-portable as well. But its function is mysterious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:56 am 

My mistake, wrong side. I'll look at my plansets tonite as well. Perhaps it's an access hatch as in this illustration from Gakken #22.

Attachments:
Akizuki & Fuyuzuki Aft Deck Houses crop Gakken #22.jpg
Akizuki & Fuyuzuki Aft Deck Houses crop Gakken #22.jpg [ 119.69 KiB | Viewed 2930 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:39 pm 

Hmmm, the aft deck house on the Trumpeter kit would matches the configuration shown in the upper drawing. The round structure in question would have been placed to the lower right hand side of the type 94 AA director in that picture. So it does not correspond to either of the two labeled structures in that drawing. The size of the structure would have about the same as the base of the type 94 director.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 am 

This is a toughie. Both the plan set for the Akizuki (Hara Shobo plan set) and the Fuyuzuki (Gakken #23) show only the barest outline of a circle in this area, with no label. The 1-100 Akizuki does show what seems to be a grill cover, maybe just a vent for the aft deckhouse, but I don;t know why it's brass instead of grey.

Attachments:
1-100 Akizuki aft deck house L.jpg
1-100 Akizuki aft deck house L.jpg [ 141.93 KiB | Viewed 2991 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 pm 

Dan K wrote:
This is a toughie. Both the plan set for the Akizuki (Hara Shobo plan set) and the Fuyuzuki (Gakken #23) show only the barest outline of a circle in this area, with no label. The 1-100 Akizuki does show what seems to be a grill cover, maybe just a vent for the aft deckhouse, but I don;t know why it's brass instead of grey.

I don't think a horizontal ventilation grill situated at deck level would work very well. It will take in a large amount of water in any weather, not to mention acting as sump for waste water from any deck cleaning. The little coffee table and tea pot on the grill in the model in cute. This makes me wonder if it some form of ceremonial platform. Maybe a some form of religious chapel for the men?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 pm 

Hi folks,

I've recently bought the Pit-Road/Skywave 1/700 scale kit of the Akizuki herself.

If possible, I'd like some advice regarding her light AA fit at the time of her loss.

The box-art depicts her with a full boat complement, but the paint guide shows her with only one motor boat, the starboard one. The rest of the boats have been shown as replaced by single 25mm.

How accurate is this?

Thanks,

Mike. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:58 pm 

I'll try to research it tonite. Contrary to popular depiction, most DDs at Leyte Gulf still retained most or all of their ship's boats. Deletion of the boats in exchange for additional 25mm really occurred after Leyte Gulf for the surviving ships.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:18 am 

Dan K wrote:

This may be way off base, but I remember seeing something like that on a cruiser in another Gakken book, From what I recall, it was a ceremonial platform for conducting religious services.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 am 

Mike K: I checked Gakken #23 and there is a series of drawings depicting Akizuki's AA upgrades. To my surprise, it appezrs she carried all her boats until early October 1944. It seems that at the very last minute, 3 of her boats were removed and replaced with single 25mm mounts.

More surprisng to me as other Akizuki type, such as Suzutsuki & Fuyuzuki did retain all their boats despite adding more single 25mm guns.

Mike C: Would love to know which Gakken to look in. thx.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next