The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:44 pm 

Thanks Dan, much appreciated.

As an outlier, can I safely assume the same thing holds true for most IJN ships, including light/heavy cruisers and battleships regarding the linoleum strips and steel deck color. I know it will require some research per individual ship, time frame etc. but generally speaking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:23 pm 

Jason, I believe your general assumption regarding painting is correct, although AFAIK the IJN battleships had wood main decks, not linoleum like the cruisers and destroyers (at least from WWI through WWII).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:06 am 

gscott wrote:
Jason, I believe your general assumption regarding painting is correct, although AFAIK the IJN battleships had wood main decks, not linoleum like the cruisers and destroyers (at least from WWI through WWII).
Awesome, thanks Greg. I've just started back into warship modeling and haven't done a ton of IJN stuff so trying to get the lay of the land.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:56 pm 

Mike C wrote:
Phil R wrote:
Who's doing new PE for these kits? Can you give a hint?

That would be me. I've been puttering around with drawing some etch since 2001, off and on, and it has only recently gotten to the test stage. I still have some modifications to do, but I don't have a release date since I'm tied up with other projects at the moment. Dan K has seen samples of the test etch. Feel free to suggest anything I may have missed, but I reserve the right to reject any more parts that would require me to redesign the sheets.

<SNIP>

Mike

Mike C, Dan K or anyone else in the know:

Any word on this Akizuki PE set? I need two sets even if I never get around to building these kits (I have three Nichimo IJN destroyers), because they would make an added 'sweeten-the-deal' kit bonus to a potential buyer...

THANKS! :thanks:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:18 pm 

I have to apologize for the delay, Harquebus, but I got the fret I made to correct some errors and found that there were noticeable discrepancies between step spacing on the side ladder, inclined ladders and vertical ladders. In addition, a test build of the side ladder with platforms and rails was far too fragile, so a second revision fret was planned. That also stalled work on the instructions.

Then the Covid-19 virus hit and I lost contact with my guy in Hong Kong who had been processing my brass at a reasonable price. I don't know if that was caused by the virus, or the political climate. Either way, I need to find a new etcher who won't charge me California prices. I don't know what I could charge for the frets in their current state.

This was one of those projects that started out with great enthusiasm and the best intentions, then life got in the way. Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:21 pm 

Hello, I am asking if anyone has looked into the linoleum deck layout of Fuyutsuki. I am interested in whether there was linoleum just aft of the bridge? A lot of sources depict there being a small portion of linoleum deck before metal, but others show it as just plate metal. I can't find any pictures that give a good look at this area. The area in question is highlighted by a red arrow in the attached photo, which is of a line drawing from Model Art vessel Special issue 71.

I have found a picture of Harutsuki in Gakken 23 where it appears that there is linoleum at this point due to a clear texture change. However, I have already found a handful of differences between Fuyutsuki and her sister ships of her subclass which make me want more evidence before deciding what to do. There is also attached a picture of Yoizuki also from Gakken 23 but I cannot tell if there is a change or not. Fivestar's 1/350 detail kit depicts metal plating in this section using its photo-etched brass deck, so before I cut out the section that seems to be linoleum I thought I would seek some confirmation from any experts, thanks.

Attachments:
File comment: Model Art Vessel Special 71
Linoleum.JPG
Linoleum.JPG [ 86.82 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]
File comment: Harutsuki Gakken 23
Linoleum 2.JPG
Linoleum 2.JPG [ 450.45 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]
File comment: Yoizuki Gakken 23
linoleum 3.JPG
linoleum 3.JPG [ 452.06 KiB | Viewed 667 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:24 pm 

Unfortunately, there are no views of Fuyuzuki in this area. In fact, the two views that you have posted seem to be the only ones even remotely related to this area for any of the AKizukis. The same seems to be true for all the available plans.

With that said, it was the general practice among the Type A class DDs, and others, to have a small area of the main deck aft the bridge laid with linoleum, though this was not always symmetrical from side to side. And, I agree that the Harutsuki pic (linoleum 2) show a very different surface than the metal treaded areas slightly further aft.

Interestingly, the 1/350 HobbyWorld-Monochrome-Trumpeter-Wave Akizuki class kits all show some linoleum in this area, though I've no idea what their source material might be.

Fuyuzuki underwent some fit changes as well as repairs due to torpedo damage, but I doubt that this area was ever changed. She probably wore linoleum in the area indicated.
My two cents.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:47 am 

Thanks, I think I will make the call to include linoleum for that area then. I have seen some other aerial photos of Akizuki class members where there seems to be a difference in light reflection in this area. With the Harutsuki picture in consideration, I think it is good enough evidence that there probably was linoleum there on Fuyutsuki.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7