The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:59 pm 
ar
chuck wrote:
To the starboard side, and just forward of, the aft type 94 AA director, Trumpeter depicts a large, round, horizontal circular grill like structure on top of the roof of the aft deck house. A large scale model of Akizuki shown in a Gakken book depicts a similar structure, appearently painted to represent wood. I doubt it's actually a ventilation grill. Typically ventilation grill are vertical. It could have been some sort of wooden platform for a gun crew to walk on while serving a central AA gun, except there is no AA gun there. What is this round flat laying structure?

The item that you are referring to is shown in the set of builders plans that I have, along with a labelled description, which unfortunately is in Japanese. I suspect that the item (platform) is a portable one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:33 am 

Yes, I suspect it is semi-portable as well. But its function is mysterious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:56 am 

My mistake, wrong side. I'll look at my plansets tonite as well. Perhaps it's an access hatch as in this illustration from Gakken #22.

Attachments:
Akizuki & Fuyuzuki Aft Deck Houses crop Gakken #22.jpg
Akizuki & Fuyuzuki Aft Deck Houses crop Gakken #22.jpg [ 119.69 KiB | Viewed 1993 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:39 pm 

Hmmm, the aft deck house on the Trumpeter kit would matches the configuration shown in the upper drawing. The round structure in question would have been placed to the lower right hand side of the type 94 AA director in that picture. So it does not correspond to either of the two labeled structures in that drawing. The size of the structure would have about the same as the base of the type 94 director.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 am 

This is a toughie. Both the plan set for the Akizuki (Hara Shobo plan set) and the Fuyuzuki (Gakken #23) show only the barest outline of a circle in this area, with no label. The 1-100 Akizuki does show what seems to be a grill cover, maybe just a vent for the aft deckhouse, but I don;t know why it's brass instead of grey.

Attachments:
1-100 Akizuki aft deck house L.jpg
1-100 Akizuki aft deck house L.jpg [ 141.93 KiB | Viewed 2054 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 pm 

Dan K wrote:
This is a toughie. Both the plan set for the Akizuki (Hara Shobo plan set) and the Fuyuzuki (Gakken #23) show only the barest outline of a circle in this area, with no label. The 1-100 Akizuki does show what seems to be a grill cover, maybe just a vent for the aft deckhouse, but I don;t know why it's brass instead of grey.

I don't think a horizontal ventilation grill situated at deck level would work very well. It will take in a large amount of water in any weather, not to mention acting as sump for waste water from any deck cleaning. The little coffee table and tea pot on the grill in the model in cute. This makes me wonder if it some form of ceremonial platform. Maybe a some form of religious chapel for the men?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 pm 

Hi folks,

I've recently bought the Pit-Road/Skywave 1/700 scale kit of the Akizuki herself.

If possible, I'd like some advice regarding her light AA fit at the time of her loss.

The box-art depicts her with a full boat complement, but the paint guide shows her with only one motor boat, the starboard one. The rest of the boats have been shown as replaced by single 25mm.

How accurate is this?

Thanks,

Mike. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:58 pm 

I'll try to research it tonite. Contrary to popular depiction, most DDs at Leyte Gulf still retained most or all of their ship's boats. Deletion of the boats in exchange for additional 25mm really occurred after Leyte Gulf for the surviving ships.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:18 am 

Dan K wrote:

This may be way off base, but I remember seeing something like that on a cruiser in another Gakken book, From what I recall, it was a ceremonial platform for conducting religious services.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 am 

Mike K: I checked Gakken #23 and there is a series of drawings depicting Akizuki's AA upgrades. To my surprise, it appezrs she carried all her boats until early October 1944. It seems that at the very last minute, 3 of her boats were removed and replaced with single 25mm mounts.

More surprisng to me as other Akizuki type, such as Suzutsuki & Fuyuzuki did retain all their boats despite adding more single 25mm guns.

Mike C: Would love to know which Gakken to look in. thx.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:34 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Mike K: I checked Gakken #23 and there is a series of drawings depicting Akizuki's AA upgrades. To my surprise, it appezrs she carried all her boats until early October 1944. It seems that at the very last minute, 3 of her boats were removed and replaced with single 25mm mounts.

More surprisng to me as other Akizuki type, such as Suzutsuki & Fuyuzuki did retain all their boats despite adding more single 25mm guns.

Thanks for that, Dan! :thumbs_up_1:

The Skywave plan shows the following:

3 either side of the bridge, just before the break in the focs'le (total 6),

2 either side where the first set of boats were (total 4),

2 port side opposite the remaining motor launch,

2 either side of the rear superstructure (total 4), but not symmetrical; and

3 on the starboard side of the rear superstructure in line with the former diector position.

Is the Gakken plan for her last fit the same?

Thanks again,

Mike. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:36 pm 

Your description matches the Gakken layout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:17 am 

Thanks again, Dan!

Much obliged. :thumbs_up_1:

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:39 pm 

Super information here in this thread!

I'm working on the Blue Water Navy Akizuki. Does anyone have a suggestion about brass barrels? I'm guessing some Royal Navy 4-incher barrels would be the closest in terms of bore, but I nothing about the actual barrel cross sections. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 pm 

Hi Robert and welcome to the site.

Fukuya makes a set for the Akizuki:
http://www.hlj.com/product/FUK350-30

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:20 am 

A couple of shots of her sister Fuyuzuki in a larger scale

Hope you like them

Unicorn

Task Force 72, home of some of the world's finest 1:72 scale model ships http://www.taskforce72.org

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:39 am 

EXCELLENT! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 am 

Hi!
Having owned the 1/350 Monochrome Suzutsuki kit, I finally decided to build it. It is a rather involved build, as I would like to do it in the Ten-Ichi-Go time frame, and from what I see in the Model Art Special number 37, which showcases several Akitsuki-class destroyers, Suzutsuki in 1945, having been torpedoed and rebuilt, has a totally different bow than the others. In any case, that's a different story and I may post my build in the relevant section after I become certain I can finish it :big_grin: but I have a different question at this time for you guys with deeper IJN knowledge than me:

When setting sail for operation Ten-Ichi-Go, the Yamato is always depicted with an emblem on her funnel. Monochrome (Trumpeter) depicts the Suzutsuki with the same emblem:
Attachment:
IMG_1883.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG [ 148.63 KiB | Viewed 4549 times ]

Model Art 37 shows different markings for the build of their 1945 Suzutsuki.
Attachment:
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG [ 149.29 KiB | Viewed 4549 times ]

Hasegawa shows no emblem on their Ten-Ichi-Go Yahagi.

Am I correct in thinking that only the Yamato had the emblem and that Model Art is more correct than Monochrome/Trumpeter?

Any help will be most appreciated!

Anthony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:18 pm 

It's a good question. The full symbol may just have been applicable to Yamato; I don't really know. However, we can be sure that both Suzutsuki and Fuyuzuki carried a more simplistic emblem as seen in the Model Art issue. This version may have also been carried by Yahagi and the other DDs. Existing photographs for those ships just aren't clear enough.

I'd be interested in your build log. I do have the 1/350 Akizuki 1944 sitting in the stash....

Attachments:
Fuyuzuki under attack Ten Ichi-Go April 1945.jpg
Fuyuzuki under attack Ten Ichi-Go April 1945.jpg [ 100.57 KiB | Viewed 4527 times ]
Fuyuzuki funnel close up, postwar.jpg
Fuyuzuki funnel close up, postwar.jpg [ 47.54 KiB | Viewed 4527 times ]
Suzutsuki funnel closeup, postwar.jpg
Suzutsuki funnel closeup, postwar.jpg [ 61.55 KiB | Viewed 4527 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:24 am 

Thank you Dan. I will be doing the markings as per Model Art...

Could you also kindly tell me your opinion regarding the general accuracy of the builds in Model Art 37? While there is quite some literature aqvailable regarding the Akitsuki, I have not been able to find much on the 1945 Suzutsuki apart from the above build article -historical data excepted of course.

The Monochrome/Trumpeter boxings of the 1944 Akitsuki and 1945 Suzutsuki are substantially the same, with the addition of a square bridge for the latter. Even the PE states "Akizuki 1944", while the hulls are the same.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation for your various postings on the Imperial Japanese Navy. Having had a long-standing fascination with the IJN, I always follow them with interest and often learn something new!

As for the build log, I am keeping a photographic record of it and hope to post my progress in the not too distant future.

Best regards from Athens,
Anthony

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next