The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:22 pm 

john53 wrote:
Thanks, how is the Toms Model Works PE set? Similar to Gold Medal? John

Ah yes, Tom's makes a Sullivans specific set as well: https://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/ ... neh2dhlnu2

I think the Gold Medal Models set is better. IMO.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:18 pm 

John (53)

I have to ask ... Which 1/350 scale FLETCHER kit have you ordered and which ship and timeframe are you interested in modeling? Both Tamiya and Trumpeter (plus a few resin kits) are available and each has its own unique problems. Makes a difference in what "upgrade" items are needed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:31 pm 

John had put that info in the subject heading of his post (Steelnavy style), so it's somewhat hidden: he has the Trumpy Sullivans.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:28 pm 

I have the 1/350 Trumpeter USS The Sullivans kit coming . I will most likely do the 1943 version with 2 torpedo tube launchers. John

Last edited by john53 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:07 pm 

The kit just arrived. I will start a build thread but not until I receive a PE set to improve the details and looks. John

Last edited by john53 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:26 am 

Thanks, I guess this kit goes on the shelf of doom for a while. I will spend the PE money instead on a 1/350 Hasegawa IJN Simakazee which is what I was going to build along with this. I can't see wasting my money on PE and I have no interest in Tamiya's round bridge Fletcher at all. John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:08 pm 

John,

The Tamiya 1/350 scale "Rd-Bridge" FLETCHER kit is quite old these days and has issues. The Trumpeter "Sq-Bridge" FLETCHER kit is much newer, but in many ways isn't as sharp in quality of details molding as the Tamiya kit. But, I think the linked review was a bit harsh. The basic hull, deck, and deckhouses are useable as a baseline. Both kits can be improved without too much effort. With the advent of 3-D printed weapons and equipment, all the armament can be replaced and makes in my opinion a big difference. The 5-in mounts on both kits are ... sad ... for Tamiya undersized and for Trumpeter the multiple pieces for the mounts isn't necessary with current molding techniques. DML did a MUCH BETTER job with their BENSON-GLEAVES class units, admittedly at twice the per kit cost.

Trumpeter's modeling of the bridge has issues of inaccuracy. The shape of the open Navigation Bridge isn't correct. Model Monkey has produced a series of parts specifically as replacements for theses two kits. Including 5-in mounts, bridge variants, and bulwark options for 40-mm mounts. The link David posted gets you to Larson's products.

I don't know which specific Sq-Bridge FLETCHER class unit (or units) you are considering modeling, but studying that unit would tell you what needs to be modified. How accurate and detailed (anal :big_grin: ) you are will dictate how much work is required. Depending on which yard built the unit you are interested in modeling and the timeframe, "uniquenesses" in shape and construction of bulwarks around 40-mm and 20-mm mounts will show what needs to be done for upmost accuracy.

3-D printed 40-mm and 20-mm guns and several other pieces of shipboard equipment by Black Cat are amazing and can (should?) be used as replacements. They are pricey, but are "really" nice.

All of the "upgrades" will add up cost wise, but if an accurate and detailed kit is your desire, it will be worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:47 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

And a big thanks to Rick Davis who provided invaluable advice while developing Model Monkey Fletcher class products.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:19 pm 

Thanks for the information. I am eventually going to build The Sullivans kit as the Johnston DD 557, basically a square bridge Fletcher in 1943 mod.I am not going to spend 3 to 4 times the kit price for resin parts. What I will do is buy a PE set and scratch build whatever is too wrong looking with the kits parts. I have been watching a video of Trumpeter's The Sullivans being built and upgraded with a PE set. The mast alone is a nightmare, I have been taking notes on what needs to be cut, moved or totally redone. It seems a shame as I built Trumpeters Buckley class DE a few years ago and it had far fewer flaws than this kit, I have no idea what happened to this project. I learned a lot from the Buckley kit about bending and fabricating PE parts which will be of great help. Thanks for all the help and tips and I will do a build as soon as I figure out what is what with this kit. John

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:07 am 

I do not know if anyone has posted this yet, as I could not find anything posted since Jan 2020 when the PE Set was released.

But in Jan 2020, Fivestar Models released a Round-Bridge Fletcher Photo-Etch Upgrade kit for the 1/700 Tamiya Model.

It is a very complete set.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:24 am 

taskforce48 wrote:
These were shared on Facebook today, the current state of the USS Johnston DD-557 I have seen some images but this is the first time aside from the USS Arizona that I have seen a 3D render of a wreck. She was a gallant ship helmed by a crew of what the very definition of hero is. May they always be remembered -
Matt

Matt, re my now bolded in your above. Do you meam 'models of wrecks' (like you posted) or actual 3D renderings? There are actually quite a few, or at least 'a few', 3D shipwreck renderings. Probably the latest you can seen here, currently last posts this page;
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10618&start=600

But I have also thought of converting my USS Atlanta model into how she looks as a wreck. :thumbs_up_1:

And yes, last but not least, may they always be remembered, least we forget!

Post subject: USS Johnston colors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:29 pm 

Im building the Trumpeter Sullivans kit as the Johnston DD-557. As expected, there seems to be a dearth of information on her. I've only found 3 photos of her, only one of which is useable, and nothing as to what color or camo measure she might have been painted in when she met her demise. From the one B/W photo, which looks to have been take not long after launch, possibly during trials, she appears to be in a single overall color, a dark grey possibly 5-O or 5-N? Anyone have any knowledge about it?

Post subject: Re: USS Johnston colors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm 

Joseph Dunlap wrote:
Im building the Trumpeter Sullivans kit as the Johnston DD-557. As expected, there seems to be a dearth of information on her. I've only found 3 photos of her, only one of which is useable, and nothing as to what color or camo measure she might have been painted in when she met her demise. From the one B/W photo, which looks to have been take not long after launch, possibly during trials, she appears to be in a single overall color, a dark grey possibly 5-O or 5-N? Anyone have any knowledge about it?

She was most likely in overall Navy Blue (5N), with Deck Blue (20B) decks.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:35 am 

USS JOHNSTON (DD-557) was definitely painted in Ms 21 when lost and never appears to have been painted in dazzle. The Wreck photos proved that she was painted in Ms 21.

One of several articles that can be found online ... https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instan ... l?safari=1 ....

Attachments:
Shipwrek-1616521661.jpeg
Shipwrek-1616521661.jpeg [ 323.17 KiB | Viewed 2065 times ]
DD557 Shipwreck-2.jpeg
DD557 Shipwreck-2.jpeg [ 14.09 KiB | Viewed 2065 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:38 pm 

Hello,
I have a question about some drawings of USS Fletcher.
On Destroyer Photo Index DD-445 / DDE-445 USS FLETCHER (http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/445.htm) are some drawings shown made by John Barrett with text written by Robert F. Sumrall (see attachments).
The website where these drawings were available, is not available anymore (Navy Yard Associates).
So now to my question, does anybody has an idea if these drawings are still available somewhere ???
Another question, is also does anyone has these drawings and is willing to contact me for an eventual copy of the drawings. I cannot believe that this kind of beautiful drawings suddenly disappear into nothing !! I am also wondering if someone still represent these drawings !!
I also posted this on several other fora, but with zero result !!!

Attachments:
0544556.jpg
0544556.jpg [ 77.49 KiB | Viewed 1846 times ]
0544523.jpg
0544523.jpg [ 79.71 KiB | Viewed 1846 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:13 pm 

The "Navy Yard Associates" drawings are handsome to look at, but have to be realized for what they are. With the FLETCHER class, they drew-up a VERY LIMITED NUMBER of "standard" configurations and then divided the class of 175 destroyers to "fit" into those categories. Unfortunately, sometimes they put square pegs in round holes and the actual destroyer looked little like the configuration selected for that unit. The only configurations they chose to produce, were for the five twin 40-mm mounts that most units did eventually get modified to. But, several units were completed with a different initial configuration and some modified with other configurations adopted before the five twin 40-mm mounts configuration was made universal and were LOST in one of those configurations.

The cutaway drawing pretty well illustrated the general arrangement for the class, but there were refinements below decks as the units were upgraded. Hence, I would not suggest using these drawings as a guide in building a model of a specific ship.

However, if you just are interested in have a "general" illustration, a consideration of what you are asking for could be a problem. The Naval Yard Associates may no longer exist, but their copyrights do. If your intent is to have these illustrations for your enjoyment, you may get by asking for a copy. However, if you intend to use these illustrations in a published work, you could be in trouble.

I never got any of these illustrations, because of the issues of "not accurate" configurations being called out. An example was USS CHEVALIER (DD-451) was "illustrated" as having the same "Configuration K" as is USS FLETCHER. However, CHEVALIER was lost with the original design configuration she was completed with, aka one quad 1.1-in mount. She NEVER carried any 40-mm guns!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:19 am 

"However, if you just are interested in have a "general" illustration, a consideration of what you are asking for could be a problem. The Naval Yard Associates may no longer exist, but their copyrights do. If your intent is to have these illustrations for your enjoyment, you may get by asking for a copy. However, if you intend to use these illustrations in a published work, you could be in trouble."

Thanks for answering my question Rick. You write "If your intent is to have these illustrations for your enjoyment, you may get by asking for a copy", but where would I have to get by asking for a copy, do you have any idea ????

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:06 pm 

No idea of who may have a copy of these renderings that would be willing to share. As I said I never ordered them, I preferred the original photos and inboard plan views of the destroyers myself. You could try an online search of "Cutaway view of a FLETCHER class destroyer", which turns up several variations of these types of illustrations.

Here is a photo I took of a colorized illustration onboard USS CASSIN YOUNG (DD-793) museum ship at the Charlestown Navy Yard NPS Park. This illustration is of CASSIN YOUNG more or less as she appears today, and modified during the 1950's for service. The photo is less than perfect being taken inside with flash causing reflections.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:15 am 

Interesting that she has the extended rudder which was fitted post war to improve the fairly dismal tactical radius and the tripod mast to support the evolving radar and electronics suite, retaining the five gun configuration. As ASW was becoming increasingly important for these ships as a role, the chance of future fleet actions becoming vanishingly improbable.

Interesting that the underwater CGI in Greyhound showing rudder and props did have the correct short rudder!

Thanks for sharing Rick!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:19 pm 

Does anyone have any idea what paint scheme the Boyd would have been wearing in late '43?

Thanks a bunch,

30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next