The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 105  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:55 pm 

Thank you for the photos! They will definitely be useful, I relied on a single 1945 photo from NavSource and I saw some differences in the waist guns, but now it's all clear.

As far as I can see there are no other alternatives for the mounts in Europe, even including 3D. I guess I will give Niko a try, their turrets are dirt cheap and their kits are usually well regarded.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 am 

https://maritime.org/doc/plans/index.htm
The drawing was obtained here. // DD502

AWTH ? RWTH ? I don't know what word it is.
Is it an emergency escape hole?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:08 am 

Your image link doesn't work.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:54 am 

Odd, it won't load on my PC but it did on my phone?? Any way, it looks like a R.W.T H(s) which I believe to be Rapid Watertight Hatch (Starboard). Judging by the Davit location next to it, and the fact that it goes all the way to the 40mm Magazines at frame 39 I would say that was a means to bring ammo up from and to load the magazines.

HTH

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:28 pm 

Is the hatch in question this one?

Attachment:
DD502FantailCrop.jpeg
DD502FantailCrop.jpeg [ 197.87 KiB | Viewed 2430 times ]

If this hatch is this one, over the operational lifespan of the FLETCHER class this hatch has had multiple purposes. When the class was first designed, the idea was that reload depth charges would be stowed below deck and this was the main way to access them. The requirement for below deck stowage of depth charges was soon deleted. This hatch with an inclined ladder rather than a vertical ladder, provided relatively easy crew access to crew quarters, shops, and ammo stowage magazines in the stern area of the ship.

Attachment:
DD500x42nhCrop-17Jul59.jpg
DD500x42nhCrop-17Jul59.jpg [ 196.56 KiB | Viewed 2430 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:17 pm 

Sorry. Can you see it now?

Attachments:
333.PNG
333.PNG [ 386.04 KiB | Viewed 2327 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:29 am 

Ok, that is one of several deck hatches onboard the destroyer. This particular one leads down to other hatches through lower decks and down to the magazine levels. Likely this was a main location for loading ammo into the 5-in and 40-mm magazines. The path for moving 40-mm ammo to the forward twin 40-mm mounts was further aft.

In this view you can see your subject hatch, offset to the starboard from centerline aft of the 51 mount, and the forward hatch for an incline ladder forward of the 51 mount.

Attachment:
DD448x20crop-19Jul43.jpg
DD448x20crop-19Jul43.jpg [ 133.53 KiB | Viewed 2280 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:31 am 

Thank you very much for the answer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:31 am 

Rick,

This hatch was still present on STODDARD in the '60s - so, more than likely on all FLETCHER's, etc. Thanks for the photo - I'll make sure to add this to my model, as I'm not positive it's been molded into the fwd. main deck. Just another item off the check list. From the looks of the lightweight davit, probably this hatch was also used to lower provisions, stores, in addition to ammo, etc. I couldn't make out the text in my BoGP drawings or the one posted as to whether or not there is a vertical ladder adjacent to the hatch.

FishwithCat:
Thanks for inquiring - it helps all of us!

10am edit -
1) I see this has been moved to its correct forum location - :thumbs_up_1: Thanks, Mods!!
2) The Revell 1/144 FLETCHER kit does NOT have this particular escape scuttle molded into the main deck part. So, this will need to be added. In 1/144 scale, this would be 3/16" dia. (4.76mm). I don't have the exact deck location dimensions at hand, so I may edit this post further at a later date with that information.

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:44 pm 

Hank,

Yep, I should have noted that the larger hatches to inclining ladders were the primary routes for the crew going to and from main to the lower deck(s). Other inclining ladder routes were found inside the superstructure deckhouses. The "round hatches" seen here and like over the engineering spaces were used as secondary access or for resupply to stowage below main deck.

One of those details that model makers often ignore/missed. If they do mold something, it is a rather simple cylinder.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:50 am 

thank you sir
I want to make 1/144 Fletcher.
Since the scale is large, I want to model the interior and print it in 3D to reproduce the interior.
Where to get the Fletcher Anatomy data.

It is said that "FLETCHER Class Engineering Drawings" is not for sale anymore. :bash_2:
The interior decoration is limited only with drawings.

If you have any good books or materials, please recommend them.
As a purchaseable book!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:57 am 

Did you try: http://abbot.us/plans/ ? It's "only" 20% of what's on the DVD but may make a good start?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:44 pm 

The BIW FLETCHER Class Engineering Drawings DVD is suppose to be available from Tincan Sailor Org.

Dave McComb from DestroyerHistory.org was responsible for getting the BIW microfilm drawings copied (and he paid for the effort) and offered them on DVDs. When he died, the Tin Can Sailor (TCS) Org took over the production, selling and distribution of these DVDs at $30.00 each. Whether TCS still are or not selling them, given the pandemic maybe they can't at his time(?), I don't know. I know that several individuals had ordered and received the DVD last year prior to the pandemic. I checked their website ... http://destroyers.org ... and see that the staff is working from home, but do answer the phone ... eventually. TCS has never put the BWI DVD in their Ships Store, so likely isn't available through that route. Orders for the DVD were asked to be made by contacting them directly. I suggest trying to contact them at ... tcs@destroyers.org ... or call 800-223-5535 and ask if you can order the DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:36 pm 

Rick, et al -

Yes, the DVD is available from TCS - I purchased a set a couple years ago; the details you gave I think are correct.

I will have to say that there is no organization to the hundreds of drawings on the DVD and it is a PITA to try to find anything relevant in a reasonable length of time. However, since everyone is home avoiding the pandemic, why not spend 16 hours a day categorizing & creating a drawing log for future reference, right???? :doh_1: :doh_1: :doh_1:

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 pm 

Thank you for good information

I sent an inquiry email.
Because I'm not that good at english :)
I'm worried.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:23 am 

Hello.
I sent an email.
But "TCS" hasn't been checking mail for two weeks.
I live on the other side of the United States.
I can't speak English well.
Can someone contact me to check my e-mail?

T_T....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:10 am 

TT,

With the Covid Pandemic, I don't know if there is anyone in the office at TCS at this time. They are located in Fall River, MA, and I don't know the local restrictions. I always found their response to E-Mail to be spotty since they are a small operation staffed mostly with volunteers. I really suggest trying to call them at the number I listed above. A better chance that someone will answer, even if they are remote at home, or the answering machine may tell you their status. If you have trouble with English, maybe you could get a friend to be with you during the call.

Take care and good luck,

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:06 pm 
Hey everyone!

Does anyone happen to have pictures of USS Chevalier DD-451 after it was hit by a Long Lance and before it sunk or pictures of the said destroyer on the bottom of the sea?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:08 pm 

I don't know that any photos exist of USS CHEVALIER (DD-451) after being hit in the bow with her forward magazines exploding or as she capsized and eventual sank after being torpedoed by USS La VALLETTE, being a night action.

I don't know that anyone has explored her wreck to date.

USS CHEVALIER (DD-451) is one of those destroyers with relatively few photos available of her. A few "unidentified" images have surfaced that were determined to be her.

Here is a rare photo of USS CHEVALIER I found at NARA. This photo was taken on 6 July 1943, after she rescued the crew of USS STRONG (DD-467) after that destroyer was torpedoed. The CO of CHEVALIER rammed the bow into STRONG so most of the crew from STRONG could be removed. While in this endeavor, CHEVALIER's 53 mount suffered a "hang fire" which exploded killing one crewman. She is identified on the mounting card, but this photo wasn't in the "card catalog" (Yes NARA has and uses the original USN card catalog for 80-G). Actually, I ended up finding this same photo in two different places in 80-G. The first image is the one I first came across and was fairly dark contrast. The second image was processed in the darkroom with less contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm 
Thanks a lot.

A build would require layouts of decks and info on the additional AA position on the front of the superstructure. Do you happen to have those as well? Oh, and one more thing. Camouflage. A website on the topic suggests USN measure 22, but this doesn't seem to be the case, judging by the photos. Maybe you know what's the deal?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 105  Next