The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 105  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:41 pm 

Hi there Mr. Davis and all,

Here is what I have been able to build using the pics you so kindly uploaded:
Attachment:
(433).jpg
(433).jpg [ 265.31 KiB | Viewed 2525 times ]

Thanks again for your precious help and valuable pictures. This construction is in debt with you once more.
Warmest regards from this side,

Willie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:45 am 

A note about those 3" shell casing cages:

In the USN, those were gone by the early '60s. I can't recall ever seeing any on the FLETCHERs stationed at 32nd Naval Sta., San Diego or up in Long Beach NSYD either.

Thanks Rick for sharing the photos and 01 Level deckhouse plan - good info to have just the same!

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:41 am 

Hi all once again,
New day, new request: Would somebody have some clear pic of the forward stack typhoon and steam pipes, along with the platforms that they cross ???
Attachment:
Stack typhoon.jpg
Stack typhoon.jpg [ 105.95 KiB | Viewed 2311 times ]

I have not been able to find clear pics of the complete elements. If they are complete, the pic is not clear; if the pic is clear, the elements are not complete. After 3+ days researching on-line, I have thrown the towell.
TIA for your precious help,
Willie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:10 am 

Willie,

I noticed over on your build log that you mentioned USS MCGOWEN a DD-674. That's incorrect - she was DD-678.

OK, here are some clips of larger photos showing McGowan's forward stack cap in the late 1950's prior to being transferred to Spanish service:
Attachment:
DD-678_3.JPG
DD-678_3.JPG [ 43.32 KiB | Viewed 2303 times ]
Attachment:
DD-678_2.JPG
DD-678_2.JPG [ 22.91 KiB | Viewed 2303 times ]
Attachment:
DD-678_1.JPG
DD-678_1.JPG [ 49.76 KiB | Viewed 2303 times ]

Here is one of USS THE SULLIVANS (DD-537). Be sure to notice that USS PROVIDENCE Main Mast (black) is just to the right of THE SULLIVANS stack:
Attachment:
DD-537 Stbd Fwd Stack_1.jpg
DD-537 Stbd Fwd Stack_1.jpg [ 105.87 KiB | Viewed 2303 times ]

Hope these help!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:03 pm 

Hi there Hank and all,

Thanks a lot for the pictures. Actually, they are more or less the type of pics that I already have, dealing with typhoon etc., so regarding what I requested, they are not very useful.

But on the other hand, all of them but one (the one of USS The Sullivans) are of USS MacGowan herself, and all of them are completely new for me !!!! . Could you please let me know where did you find them ????

And something else. There is an structure behind the bridge that has been avoiding me for years, this one:
Attachment:
DD-678_1.JPG
DD-678_1.JPG [ 47.66 KiB | Viewed 2284 times ]

I know that is is a cabin for the squadron commander when he is on board. I have only one single pic of this structure, and only from port.
Could somebody else have more detailed pics of this structure ? They would be again of immense help.

Again Hank thanks for you help, and very best regards from this side,

Willie.

PS : The ship behind USS The Sullivans in the warf at Buffalo is not USS Providence CLG6, but USS Little Rock CLG-4. I could visit her too, and I have to say she is in way better condition than The Sullivans. I had no more time to visit the submarine ahead of both of them. Too bad...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:24 pm 

Willie,

1) Thanks for clearing up the name correction to USS LITTLE ROCK - WHEW, DrPR would be on my ass for that one!!!! :doh_1:

2) I've PM'd you regarding the pictures, etc.

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:09 am 

The cabin is for the Squadron/Division Commander, about one in four of the Recommissioned FLETCHER's for the KW were so equipped. The 4-Gun FLETCHER'S had a higher proportion of the Squadron Commander Cabins.

Because of the location, with the ship's boats in the way and between the bridge/foremast and the stack, it is hard to get "good" photos of this structure. However, I do have some BGP drawings showing the basic layout, which with scaling can at least get you dimensions.

The first image (an antenna survey image) is of McGOWAN, but in 1956, so some alterations took place after this date and prior to her transfer. You can see the Unit Command Cabin addition profile while the boats aren't in the way.

The second image is of one of her sisters, USS UHLMANN (DD-687) towards the end of her career. A typical view that doesn't show much.

The next four images are crop views of BGP's showing the Unit Command structure. Note that the Unit Command Cabin is offset to the starboard side.
a. USS DALY (DD-519)
b. USS DALY (DD-519)
c. USS McGOWAN (DD-678) in 1959
d. USS McGOWAN (DD-678) in 1959

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:06 am 

Hi there Hank and Mr. Davis,

Thanks a million for this invaluable help. Nothing like having a couple of experts by your side.
Picking up here and there I am gathering all the info (more or less) that I need.

The blue prints are amazing, and as two of them are of USS MacGowan herself, they speak volumes and will save hours and even days of work and research.

Rick E Davis wrote:
Note that the Unit Command Cabin is offset to the starboard side.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I would have realized that, but being as symmetrical as I am (my family in full would correct the previous from symmetrical to Prussian) most probably I would have centered the whole structure to midships.

And abusing your patience, folks, would you have something of the same unit Cmdr. cabin, but port side ? I have only one single pic that I could use, if it was not for the bl**dy whaler, what means that I have nothing.
Attachment:
D24 Alcalá Galiano (11).jpg
D24 Alcalá Galiano (11).jpg [ 139.67 KiB | Viewed 2216 times ]

And this is not even Jorge Juan, but Alcalá Galiano, (ex USS Jarvis DD799), her twin ship.

Again a real pleasure to be in your company, and warmest regards from the North Atlantic,

Willie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:47 am 

Willie,

I'll try to find a portside image of this area of a unit with the Unit Commander's Cabin, but as you well know, the boat and other stuff really blocks off that area. However, what equipment may be located on the side of the cabin likely changed over time and may be unique to a particular unit/country use service.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:24 pm 

Hi there again Mr. Davis,
Rick E Davis wrote:
I'll try to find a portside image of this area of a unit with the Unit Commander's Cabin, but as you well know, the boat and other stuff really blocks off that area.

I am pretty aware of it, but after everything you are able to produce from your Ali Baba´s cave, I am more than confident that there will be something useful.
Please let me know if there is some way in which I can reciprocate your continuous interest and precious help.
Nice going on your end, and best regards,

Willie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:20 am 

Willie,

It took awhile, but I think these two views will be of help. I cropped them to get as much detail that I could and still be able to upload in these images. Basically, it looks like the portside of the Unit Commander's Cabin was almost bare. Likely because of the ship's boat being stowed there and to leave clearance for the walkway. The first image is of USS HOPEWELL (DD-681) at sea in 1955.

The second image (taken in yard WITHOUT the boat for an Antenna Survey and only covered what you can see here) of USS BOYD (DD-544) taken in October 1956, was taken much closer and shows details of the single porthole and a rack for mops!!! A detail I'm sure you will add. :big_grin: The only big difference between these two destroyers, is that there appears to have been the addition of an air conditioning unit (?) to the back of the cabin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:30 am 

Hi, i'm working on a DD Johnston i have two questions i couldn't find answers anywhere, i hope i could get some advice:
1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Johnston_(DD-557)#/media/File:USS_Johnston_(DD-557)_underway_on_27_October_1943_(NH_63495).jpg the wikipedia image of the johnston, near the platform on the second funnel, there seems to be an antenna pointing straight up, and it's on the left side only. I know some fletcher have whip antennas but they are usually attached to the funnel. If the image is showing an antenna, does anyone know the exact point where it's attached to?
2: From the same picture, the rafts (apart from the one on the bridge), seems to be attached to some kind of independent frame that's not connected to the superstructures, is there a image of the frame from behind?
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:42 am 

Hi there Mr. Davis and all,

Thanks again for your invaluable help !!!!! I cannot imagine what else you may be hiding in your files...

Rick E Davis wrote:
The second image (...) shows details of the single porthole and a rack for mops!!! A detail I'm sure you will add.

You can bet I would, but I have seen in the blueprints you have so graciously uploaded that MacGowan/Jorge Juan had a so called "ve(g?).lkr" in this location. No idea what this can be, but to make a further locker will be no problem.
These blueprints are pure gold. Would you have some more of these for MacGowan?

Nice going across the pond, and very best regards again,

Willie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:39 pm 

Willie,

That is the vegetable locker. It was exactly what it sounds like; a louvered locker on a weather deck what was used for storage of potatoes/onions/other such vegetables. Size and configuration varied with each ship.

Cheers,
Bruce

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:09 pm 

Willie,

As Bruce mentioned, each ship had a veggie locker located where they could. Ours on USS STODDARD (DD-566) was located between the GFCS Directors #31 & 32 above the 3"/50 Ready Service Room abaft the forward stack. See clip of plans:
Attachment:
Spud Locker_1.JPG
Spud Locker_1.JPG [ 79.45 KiB | Viewed 2883 times ]

We called it the "Spud Locker" - stored bags of potatoes, onions, etc. up there - I actually peeled potatoes up there one rainy afternoon while doing a short stint as "mess cook" in 1966 during one of our week long outings off the California coast. Each ship designated an area for fresh vegetable stowage wherever they could fit it in!

What fun, right??!!!!!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:52 am 

Thanks Bruce and Hank for the info. I had thought these things were gone after WWII or Korea. Definitely we didn´t have them on board my Knox-class Cataluña, but obviously we were well into the 1980´s.

So Hank, you are not only a USS New Jersey vet., but also a USS Stoddard one... Sir, how long did you serve in the Navy, sir ???

Best regards from this side,

Willie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 pm 

Willie,

I served in the U.S. Navy from March 1966 - December 1969 on active duty and then inactive reserves until March 1972. During my active duty I served in 4 ships:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 06-66 thru 04-68
USS BAUSELL (DD-845) 04-68 thru 09-68
USS BRIDGET (DE-1024) 09-68 (3 weeks in port, thank God!!! :doh_1:)
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 09-68 thru 02-69, and separation from active duty.

I made 2 Westpac Cruises 66-67 DD-566 and 68-69 BB-62. We were involved in combat operations during both cruises and both ships were awarded the Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon during those particular cruises in addition to the usual assortment of Vietnam related trinkets...

After separation I returned to Mars Hill College in western NC and graduated with a BA in 1972.

Thanks for asking!! And your Spanish Naval Service??

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:54 pm 

Greetings all, new member here, I was persuaded to join by this thread. Thank you all! While I haven't read all 1888 posts yet, I am making my way through. I thought I was becoming a bit of a Fletcher expert lately, then I found you all: the masters! For the last few years I have been on again/off again researching square bridge Fletchers in hopes of converting the Revel 1/144 Fletcher kit into a square bridge.

My grandfather was a baker on the USS BURNS (DD588), and I want to build a replica to honor him and his service. I have been reading Rick Davis' book on the square bridge version, as well as Alan Raven's Fletcher book, and Lester Abbey's Fletcher book, and perusing David Doyle's USS Kidd On Deck book by Squadron. I really appreciate Davis' breakdown of photos by navy yard build sites. I have also been using various websites like destroyerhistory.org, and UB88.org.

I have been working on building up my photo etch and model building skills. I am not ready to begin the 1/144 Fletcher build yet, but I am collecting parts and ideas. I plan on building the 1/350 Fletcher kits as like practice runs.

Does anyone know if there are other photos of the BURNS, or perhaps where there may be engineering drawings (from Charleston, SC NY) or perhaps where ? I know destroyerhistory.com used to carry the Bath Iron Works plans, but they are not available anymore. Any other resources would be great as well. Also, does anyone know if there was any correlation between specializations and battle station locations? My memory is foggy, but I believe my grandfather said his battle station was on an AA gun (maybe a 40mm BOFOR?), but his ordinary duty was as a baker.

In the meantime I have been able to find the BURNS daily ship log (listed as a War Diary) on the Fold3 website. It has given me fascinating insight into my grandfather's experience. I am trying to plot the coordinates of the ship via google earth so I can build a map of the BURNS' World War II tour.

Cheers,
Kelly Robert Folsom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:06 pm 

Kelly,
Welcome aboard, you've chosen a VERY scrutinizing band of modelers to get involved with!!! LOL! Since you know the scale of your intended model, the particular ship you wish to convert it into, there is (at this point, anyway!) only one other question I would ask - when was your grandfather's service on USS BURNS? Knowing what years he served aboard determines a lot of things about how your model will look.

As for your question re. his battle station vs his rating (job, i.e. baker) - generally speaking, they are NOT tied together EXCEPT that usually crew assigned to the Weapons Department (gunners mates, torpedomen, etc.) generally were also assigned gunnery battle stations. This was also to a certain degree true of those whose jobs revolved around the Engineering Department (boilers mate, engineman, machinist mate, electrician, internal communications, etc.). They also usually kept watch during GQ in their usual locations. Crew members of other rates (yeoman, boatswains mate, commissarymen (cooks/BAKERs), etc. were assigned battle stations as the ships needs dictated when they first came aboard. There was also the Condition 2 watch - which is a modified General Quarters (a bit more relaxed) and these could be 12 hour shifts depending on the nature of that ship's operations (12 on/12 off). And the Condition 2 Watch Bill was not the same as the GQ battle stations. For example, I was a Personnelman (Admin. Dept.) and my GQ station was amidships in a repair party with a lot of engineering dept. personnel. My Condition 2 watch station was 2nd loader on Mount 33 (dual 3"/50 cal. D.P. gun mount). We actually did more firing from Cond. 2 watches (this was during the Vietnam War) than at GQ. I even moved from 2nd to 1st loader during that cruise due to transfers of personnel. All the enlisted crew and their duties are contained in the Watch, Quarter, & Stations Bill - it outlines who, where, when, etc. amongst the crew.

As for photos - have you looked on NavSource under Gun Destroyers? (http://www.navsource.org/)? I actually just did - USS BURNS (DD-588) - http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/588.htm - rather short career and this site has very few photos.

So, she served during WWII and was decommissioned in 1946 - well, the question I asked about her dates of service have been answered quickly and this build will probably be quite straight-forward. Very little change in her appearance from Launch to decommissioning. Still, would be good to know when your grandad was aboard.

Now, my guess is that our forum research admiral - Rick E. Davis will have spotted your post and will respond shortly with whatever assortment of photos he has in his vault on the BURNS. He's the Rick Davis who wrote your book on Square Bridge FLETCHERs, by the way!

The Bath Ironworks CD you mentioned - well, I'm not sure that will actually help you out as it is VERY complicated in it's layout and everything is by drawing number - not by title, which makes it extremely cumbersome and time consuming to try to use when you need to find a detail about a distinct piece of equipment. But - one reference item I will HIGHLY recommend you get is this: The Floating Drydock's E-Plan Book for FLETCHER Class Destroyers - it is written and drawn up for a WWII vintage FLETCHER with 1/8" scaled drawings from stem to stern. Here is the online link: http://www.floatingdrydock.com/books.html - this takes you to the page with that item. I recommend taking the CD to a print shop and have them print it out in 11"X17" format and bind it together (like the original book was done). It's much easier to follow things when it's right in front of you!! Old School, yeah, the RIGHT way!!!)

OK, hope all this helps you out!

Hank Strub

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:13 am 

Hi there Hank and all,

BB62vet wrote:
And your Spanish Naval Service??

Sorry to say that my record has nothing to do with yours, and you will be disappointed :whistle:
I served for two years, 1984-85, on board Cataluña F73, 31st. Escort Squadron, composed by 5 Baleares-class frigates, a modified Knox-class.

I was a M2 rate (Sailor 2nd. class) but served as virtually the person in charge of all the supplies that the ship needed, specially spare parts that had to be ordered in the US. This envolved a lot of English, that is why I was chosen inmediately after my arrival, but I am surprised to this day the immense amount of responsability (and money) that I was given with only 20. The service included two officers and two NCO´s, but I used to be alone.

My duties while at sea were the spares office and magazines, and the horrific and hateful CIC watches, 6-hours shafts. My three memories from these watches are cold (fans at full gas, to keep the electronics and other equipment refrigerated), sleep (everything pitch black) and hunger(six hours without the possibility of going to the galley to steal something). My duty in the watch was to telephone orders from the CIC to the bridge, with this telephone:
Attachment:
(516).jpg
(516).jpg [ 382.16 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]

I hated it three times more than I can say, this lead-heavy thing hanging from your neck and head at the same time, for six everlasting, stretched, eternal hours. I was presented this one by a friend some years ago, as a memory from our service. God bless him.
The only good thing of it is that the CIC is the right place to learn about modern naval warfare, and learning I did, by the book.

At battle stations I was in the 3rd. Repair Party, aft, lots of hours waiting for the fire-that-never-was, pretty much like this, only that our helmets were blue:
Attachment:
(517).jpg
(517).jpg [ 58.59 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]

It was a lovely time anyhow. 36 years ago. I was young and handsome then; now only handsome... :cool_1:

Warmest regards from this side,

Willie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 105  Next